• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smoke free

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ June 08 2005,12:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 08 2005,12:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ June 08 2005,12:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 08 2005,12:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ June 08 2005,12:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 08 2005,12:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ June 08 2005,12:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 08 2005,12:36)]Good - smoking is a filthy habit and those who smoke are weak-willed and stinky  
cool.gif
Speak for yourself, Spiffy  

So where are the likes of Me, ORM, Spiffy and Steveh gonna have a fag now during the game or at half time?  
rock.gif

BTW, I do think that this is a good decision, but wondered what us smokers are going to do.
Your will power must be non-exsistent if you can go a full football game with out a fag. Whats wrong with the patches or the chewing gum?
Tried them all, dont work. Ive even tried roll ups as when I smoke those, I dont smoke a lot, as well as Menthol ciggys. Then I get sick and tired of them and go and buy 20 Marlboro Lights
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
As with what Spiffy said, I cant go 90 mins without a fag at a footie game, especially if its a nerve wracking game.
Fair point I suppose, but surely this could be an incentive to quit smoking? Soon, you wont be able to smoke in pubs, a lot or restuarants are non-smoking, and now football grounds being non-smoking. What better time then to give it all up?
Nah, your alright thanks. I'll wait a bit longer
biggrin.gif
Fair enough.

Way to go Southend, wonderful idea, blinding, spot-on. Congratulations, you have just stuffed yourselves for a bundle of revenue for next season. I may well have none or little will power when it comes to smoking but I also fork out a considable amount of my income on the club. Im not the only one and I foresee quite a execist of supporters next season who wont be able to smoke during the game. I can understand a ban in the East Stand, afterall it is woodern and from a Health & Safety point of view, it's well over due, but why extend it to not only the whole seating area but the bars as well?

So apart from having to part with even more of my hard earned cash due to inflated prices I can't even have a fag with my pint. Think I might be supporting from afar next season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ June 08 2005,13:01)]Way to go Southend, wonderful idea, blinding, spot-on. Congratulations, you have just stuffed yourselves for a bundle of revenue for next season. I may well have none or little will power when it comes to smoking but I also fork out a considable amount of my income on the club. Im not the only one and I foresee quite a execist of supporters next season who wont be able to smoke during the game. I can understand a ban in the East Stand, afterall it is woodern and from a Health & Safety point of view, it's well over due, but why extend it to not only the whole seating area but the bars as well?

So apart from having to part with even more of my hard earned cash due to inflated prices I can't even have a fag with my pint. Think I might be supporting from afar next season.
Good God, its Uncle Al  
biggrin.gif

How the heck are you?? Havent seen hide nor hair of you in bloody ages... (since an away trip to York(!) with Bob Evans a while back in fact... IIRC)

Indeed Seb, this is going too far, you have to cater for both the non-smokers and smokers alike...

Banning it in the stands fine, but in the bars aswell is a disgrace and club have just lost thousands of pounds in revenue...

Well done.

mad.gif

On another note, why not have designated smoking areas? For example:

a) the front room of the Shrimpers (through those cheap wooden slatted doors)

b) the seating blocks at either end of the South Upper and Block W in the West

rock.gif

Surely the open air area at the back of the West Stand is not a smoke free zone?...

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 08 2005,13:09)]b) the seating blocks at either end of the South Upper and Block W in the West

rock.gif
No where else then?! I dont sit in either of those stands when I am back in Essex. I think i'll have to make do with the fact that I wont be able to smoke anywhere in the ground, as I can't see them having a designated area in the East, as its all wooden over that side.

My understanding from this announcement is that all of the property of SUFC is now smoke free - including the ticketing and outside areas?
rock.gif

I stand to be corrected...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 08 2005,13:13)]My understanding from this announcement is that all of the property of SUFC is now smoke free - including the ticketing and outside areas?
rock.gif

I stand to be corrected...
You can't even have a sneeky one in the car park? That really doenst sound right....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ June 08 2005,13:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 08 2005,13:09)]b) the seating blocks at either end of the South Upper and Block W in the West

rock.gif
No where else then?! I dont sit in either of those stands when I am back in Essex. I think i'll have to make do with the fact that I wont be able to smoke anywhere in the ground, as I can't see them having a designated area in the East, as its all wooden over that side.
I think its not unreasonable to expect the smokers to move to designated blocks Hils - as long as smokers dont get treated as second class (for example saying you could [i[only[/i] sit in the South Lower and smoke would be a joke)

What i want to know is...........

Is that Mark Gowers feminine looking hand in the photo?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

As much as i do have some sympathy will those who smoke, unfortunately the vast majority in roots hall don't smoke and probably don't appreciate it.

There will be a ban in pubs and clubs soon so I suppose everyone had better get used to it.

first standing at football goes.. now smoking.. next it will be swearing, then boozing...then finally pies..
all that will be left is the football.. and who goes to a match just for that.???

I wonder how this ban is going to be enforced on away supporters. I hardly think that 2000+ Forest fans are going to give a monkeys about this ban. I can see it all now,

'Put that fag out, this is a non smoking ground'
'Make me'

Close your eyes and imagine a stewert flying through the air backwards from a hay-maker.

Well I haven't renewed my season ticket yet, not that I will stop going, I may just change the seat to one which will enable me to get out of the ground at half time, quick enough to have a fag. And if it includes the shrimpers I won't be going there again.

And I am for a ban in the seated areas, I always go away from the crowds at half time to grab a fag, but a blanket ban is a bit steep...

A blanket ban may have been done for insurance reasons, though...?  Presumably, the club's premiums will go down because of a smaller fire risk...

rock.gif

Matt

agree with everything that has been said so far as to making a designated area for smokers. the other thing i think the club fail to realise is that some fans just wont bother turning up. my brother a few of his mates are all smokers and have only just started attending on a regular basis when the team started doing well - glory hunters if you will. anyway, i know for a fact that he or they wont bother if they arnt allowed to smoke because its part of there lifestyle. proof will be in the pudding but i bet alot of that increased attendance will go down because of this. if not there will be a revolt where fans will just smoke anyway. if enough fans start smoking what can they do? on that point, what are the consequences anyway if you are caught smoking? i think the club have way over stepped the mark and something will be changed. finally, it says on the club site this was done on a basis of recommendation through consumer demand. did anyone on here have any input towards this 'consumer demand' becasue i certainly didnt:(

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 08 2005,14:12)]A blanket ban may have been done for insurance reasons, though...?  Presumably, the club's premiums will go down because of a smaller fire risk...

rock.gif

Matt
I can't imagine that a ground where 3/4's are plastic seats on concrete steps would warrant a massive premium reduction.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 08 2005,14:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 08 2005,14:12)]A blanket ban may have been done for insurance reasons, though...? Presumably, the club's premiums will go down because of a smaller fire risk...

rock.gif

Matt
I can't imagine that a ground where 3/4's are plastic seats on concrete steps would warrant a massive premium reduction.
Granted, but the 'nerve centre' of the ground is under the wooden East Stand. Only 1/4 o the ground, but there's not much of the club left if that goes up in smoke is there?

I think allowing non-smokers to be able to see a game without having to put up with smoke flying in their faces is fair enough (though one of my most nostalgic memories as a kid was standing in the West with the faint smell of cigar smoke wafting around), but to ban smoking an all areas seems draconian and will evidently only put people's nose out of joint (no pun!).

I hope they have another look at this - the rationale for smoking being banned at pubs/clubs is that the workers there should not be subjected to passive smoking or lose the job. I don't think that argument stands up for outside events.

I for one do not smoke, but the end of this season just gone was a damn good attempt on the part of the club to get me started!

Good.

Nothing worse than someone sitting in the row in front blowing their smoke (although not on purpose) directly back into your face.

Back