• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

so how do you feel about Barney and Dougies contribution to the season ?

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
must say I have lost patience - would rather see a youth start that have to watch either one of these two limp around and go home early

I agree to an extent. If we got a decent offer for either I'd be happy if we accepted. Both good players, but we need footballers who can play football.

As i've posted elswhere, for goodness sake give them each a month off and see if they can get themselve fit for the run-in! It's bad enough having the loan players disrupting the side, but add two injury prone forwards and is it any surprise we are sliding down the table. Give Walker that month to prove himself once and for all without having to look over his shoulder at Barny, Dougie, Laurant, and Revel. He just might hit some consistent form. We seem to forget that these guys are youngsters and being a 5th pick striker at Southend cant do much for the old confidence. If Barnard and Freedman Still pull the sickies and Walker doesnt produce, then off they go.

I don't have any complaints. Barney is always going to have injuries and Dougie has been unfortunate to get the same knock in both thighs. They work hard for the team when they're fit and I don't see any reason to question their committment. Unfortunately, result and injuries to other players have meant we've rushed them back when we shouldn't have this season.

Our porcelain duo may be out injured a hell of alot, but they are probably the best two footballers we have, would you really be happy to let that go? Barney is prone to injury and Dougie is taking longer to heal as he's older now but the number of injuries they've had is just plain bad luck. Let them heal and get fully fit - don't rush them back as we have been.

I'd happy with their contributions on the pitch this season, unfortunately for us we haven't been able to get the two of them on the field long enough.

Don't forget, Barney is still our top scorer on 5 goals, and I believe Dougie is on 4. Take their goals away from the team this season and we'd be in real trouble. Straight away you think to the Crewe away game where Dougie scored twice.

Also, Dougie will be a big influence on the team even when his out injured, and no doubt the likes of Barney, Revell, Laurent and Walker will be learning bits off of him.

When both are fit and up front together we are a better team in my opinion. A fully fit Barney and Dougie are arguably two of the best forwards in the division.

I'd happy with their contributions on the pitch this season, unfortunately for us we haven't been able to get the two of them on the field long enough.

Don't forget, Barney is still our top scorer on 5 goals, and I believe Dougie is on 4. Take their goals away from the team this season and we'd be in real trouble. Straight away you think to the Crewe away game where Dougie scored twice.

Also, Dougie will be a big influence on the team even when his out injured, and no doubt the likes of Barney, Revell, Laurent and Walker will be learning bits off of him.

When both are fit and up front together we are a better team in my opinion. A fully fit Barney and Dougie are arguably two of the best forwards in the division.

The key point being when they are fit. Freedman has played 8 league games out of 25 and Barnard 12, their goals to games ratio is good and yes I think they are among the best in the division but it counts for very little if they dont play regularly.

Think dougie is absolute quality and sure he doesn't wanna be injured all the time.

Were as barnard, think he looks a much better player with freedman playing otherwise just a average player.

Both quality. Judging by comments over the last couple of days, its clearly not easy for us to get quality players in. I think we would be mad to let them go & risk spending the money on another Paynter / Harrold who is always fit, but just doesn't do it with us.

Hopefully both (Barney in particular as we were aware of his injury problems when being able to buy him on the cheap) are on contacts with a medium size salary and a decent appearence fee.

i think barnard is over rated on here. No pace, cant jump, head goes down very quick when up against a good defender. Shins a few in or off his arse but thats about it. Freedman was a wise campaigner & good finisher but has lost that yard in pace so requires a quick side kick to feed. (walker being the only candidate with that attribute).

I think Freedman is an excellent player, apart form his tendency to be injured (pretty much constantly) I did think Barnard was really good, but lately hasn't been up to scratch

Feel sorry for both players,hardly there fault they pick up so many injurys. But the question begs, can we afford to have two players on the wage bill, that play so few games.

Back