• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We are generally speaking (apart from on the pitch this season) quite an exciting team to support. It's a soap opera most of the time but we don't have too many mid-table seasons for good and bad. I love it and really feel sorry for people who support the likes of Villa and west ham. Both clubs have to live with the fact they will never again compete for a title and the best they can hope for is maybe squeezing into the Europa League - in which they will play their reserves for fear of getting relegated from the top flight. Must be a miserable existence.

Older fans (like me) will remember our League cup game against them back in the 70's.Chico Hamilton- who we'd signed from Chelsea- was so good that Villa promptly signed him .

Tut tut squire - FA Cup.

Anyway, why would we want to support a club we have beaten in every competitive match we have ever played against them?

It would be fantastic to have a season (or more) in the Prem. What excitment that would bring to the whole town. I would also hope, if it happened, that we wouldn't risk all the money we would get trying to stay up. Look at what a great time Blackpool had. Yes, they got relegated, but what a season.
Those that remember the Barry Fry years - how many wish he stayed. That was a real chance, and possibly our only ever chance, of getting there.
Would I like to stay in the Prem, mid table year after year? I'd have to say no. Therefore, no, I wouldn't swap with Villa.

Good question. Grand old club are Aston Villa, but in recent years, I've wondered what the point of their existence is. I know why they don't make a go of the cups, but it isn't a stance with which I can agree.

Now that it is almost impossible to win the PL unless you are one of the mega-rich elite, the appeal of being an average PL side is limited. But God I'd love to see us up there, even if for just one season.

In answer to the question - Southend. Just.

Older fans (like me) will remember our League cup game against them back in the 70's.Chico Hamilton- who we'd signed from Chelsea- was so good that Villa promptly signed him .

Almost... Hamilton was on the pitch but playing for Villa already as they signed him in 1969. We played Villa in November 1971.

Villa seem to be this forgotten team in the Premiership they seem to finish lower midtable every year rarely have a cup run. They are a massive club but there seems to be a real lack of ambition there.
At least even with all our problems life hasnt been dull we have had play offs, Wembley finals and some decent FA Cup runs in the last few years. I can understand a Villa fan being jealous of us.

I am one that has no desire for Southend to be in the Prem. I love lower league football as It feels more 'real' to me. There seems to be more affinity between the players & fans. League One is where I'd want the Blues to be as it has the right mixture of quality, competitiveness and the fact that we win our fair share of games when in it.

Some Chelsea fans I know feel like the soul has been ripped out of the club and the true fans have been priced out. It doesn't feel like the same club they followed in the 70s & 80s. Although unlikely, I'd hate that to happen to us.

oh, and to answer the original question...I'd take being a Blues fan over Aston Villa's Premiership mediocrity all day long...

Ask Swansea, Hull City & Bournemouth fans, what they feel about fighting to go up or to stay up in PL, when not long time ago, they was playing Vs us in League 2!!

I am one that has no desire for Southend to be in the Prem. I love lower league football as It feels more 'real' to me. There seems to be more affinity between the players & fans. League One is where I'd want the Blues to be as it has the right mixture of quality, competitiveness and the fact that we win our fair share of games when in it.

Some Chelsea fans I know feel like the soul has been ripped out of the club and the true fans have been priced out. It doesn't feel like the same club they followed in the 70s & 80s. Although unlikely, I'd hate that to happen to us.

oh, and to answer the original question...I'd take being a Blues fan over Aston Villa's Premiership mediocrity all day long...

How could you not want to be where Bournemouth are at the moment? We are hardly likely to be taken over by foreign tourists if we ever got to the Premier League.

Am I the only one thinking this is a bit of a no brainer?
I'm a Southend fan and nothing will change that (unless we become a feeder club to someone like West Ham or Spurs) but I'd rather be watching the Liverpools and Arsenals every week rather than Morecombe and Stanley away.

Good question. Grand old club are Aston Villa, but in recent years, I've wondered what the point of their existence is. I know why they don't make a go of the cups, but it isn't a stance with which I can agree.

Now that it is almost impossible to win the PL unless you are one of the mega-rich elite, the appeal of being an average PL side is limited. But God I'd love to see us up there, even if for just one season.

In answer to the question - Southend. Just.

Have a look at this:

Premier League Prize Money

Every position higher up the table you finish is an extra £1.2m, that plus the £55m they get from TV. That is why these teams prioritise the league over all of the cup competitions. It is easier to rest your players and hopefully finish one or even two places higher up the table, which is a greater financial reward than the risk taken in trying to win a cup competition.

Back