• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Sol In, Sol Out

In or out

• Total voters
I think he's in the somewhat rare position in this game as a manager where he personally can't really lose. If it all goes belly-up, he can just turn and point at RM and say "that's why I/we failed". If, however, he can turn things around either next season or the one after and bring us back into L1, he can justifiably say "didn't I do well ?" I for one just hope he's true to his word and sticks with us - given the tools, I reckon he'll do us proud.

He seems to me to be committed to making a success of it. Probably will take the positives he can from learning and building for next season.

If he can add to what he has already done regarding organisation, attitude and work rate, with a full pre-season, with a few players back and a few of his own signings, I think next year can be a really good one. There I've said it. I am sorry. Very sorry. I apologise..

I think he's in the somewhat rare position in this game as a manager where he personally can't really lose. If it all goes belly-up, he can just turn and point at RM and say "that's why I/we failed". If, however, he can turn things around either next season or the one after and bring us back into L1, he can justifiably say "didn't I do well ?" I for one just hope he's true to his word and sticks with us - given the tools, I reckon he'll do us proud.
Trust me - he really can :Hilarious:

Since he came here it's been eye opening to see close hand how many people in football actively want him to fail.

You can see why he has had to adopt the 'siege' mentality that he has done.

At the end of the day, his playing career tells a lot about him. He's a winner, and is a very strong character. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think he's done a decent job so far in impossible circumstances (that a lot of people would have walked away from).

Was watching him on Tuesday at one point as on a freezing night with the rain lashing into his face and with a fat little chancer hopping up and down around him like an idiot and thought that if you wanted one of them as a mentor for your kids we've got the right one. He's a multi millionaire with a fantastic reputation from his playing time and I'm sure can find many easier things to do with his time. I think he's driven to prove everyone wrong and that he has got a great football mind and he can make it to the top of the game in management. Whether he succeeds or not we'll see but I don't agree with those that say it's a hobby for him and certainly not with that minority that the likes of the classless Evans would be a better option. He's certainly got some eccentricities and a faintly marmite personality but seems to me many top coaches fit into that category.

I feel sorry for him. From Macclesfield to us, he hasn't had a 'good' opportunity and for his career in management I hope it's recognised just how much his hands were tied here rather than it being seen as ineffective in the role.

I feel sorry for him. From Macclesfield to us, he hasn't had a 'good' opportunity and for his career in management I hope it's recognised just how much his hands were tied here rather than it being seen as ineffective in the role.

The unpalatable reality is that that the representation of black managers in our game is shocking. Whether deliberate or not it is not perhaps a debate for here but despite all he has achieved in the game he has had to take the chances he is given. But he hasn't given up, skulked off, he has taken on Macclesfield and now us because he wants to prove he can be a great manager as well as a great player. He is wealthy enough that he didn't need to bother. That he does, enjoys the challenge, loves staying involved in the game is to his credit. As is overall how he conducts himself and how he gets the best out of the hand he is dealt. Yes he likes a few bizarre Instagram posts- who cares.

I have thought even before we signed him as our manager ( and he was always my first choice) that he will turn our fortunes around ,we just need to be patient for a while,because seriously with the team Sol has behind him good times are coming,and some good football too.

Do you not wonder why an opportunity hadnot come his way before us?

Managerial inexperience, attitude, race, personality - none of the aforementioned or all of it. Who knows the minds of some of these chairmen, they do have a tendency to work in mysterious ways, as we're all too aware.... ?

Whereas there's no doubt there have been limited opportunities for black managers (hopefully that is gradually changing), in Sol's case its probably been more down to his personality. Owners / Chairmen probably see him as one to swerve due to the potential for him being hard work. Either way, I'm fully behind him & think if given time & period of stability within the club his and his assistants professionalism will bring us some success.

I said at the time Sol came to us he was a winner, and winners quite often have a very tough attitude and do not accept defeat. I think Sol does accept defeat right now with not being able to replace players and forced to reach within, but i'm very impressed with the work ethic installed and the foitball being played.
Under other managers we wouldnt be losing by 1s or 2s to two good teams, playing such an underdeveloped team. Ive have a lot of faith in Sol, i love to see a winner at work and firmly believe we'll be a force to come. Right now it is developing and fascinating to see it. I wouldve loved to play for Sol in my younger days, i can feel his frustrations and how determined he is, ive managed half a dozen teams myself and done the highs and lows and his time will come !
Right behind everyone at SUFC, after all the dross and depression us fans put up with, it feels good to narrowly lose right now. Every dog has its day and its good to see Colchester waiting patiently for us too.

Back