• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Some things never change...

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Clearing out some old computer files from the hard-drive I came across this, a 500 word article I wrote in August 2009 for a magazine or paper, the name of which escapes me, it may have even been the Echo. But it was interesting to see how, even when the club was in a far better league position, some things are still the same. Taxman owed money, stadium still in the distance and the fans doing what fans do, despite the club having just come through the best period in it's history. Even super optimistic me voiced concerns about the finances and how we would survive. Yet here we are, 14 seasons later, out of the EFL but still hanging in there, waiting for the new stadium which should be a couple of seasons away, still fighting the taxman and somehow surviving on the same hand-to-mouth existence we had back then.

Reading it back, it interested me and I thought it may interest some on here too. Oh, and by the way, if I recall correctly in that opening match referred to, we threw away a 2 goal lead to draw 2-2 and ended up getting relegated that season.

"Over recent years Southend United fans have never had it so good. Since Steve Tilson (or Tilly as he is more affectionately known) took over as manager in 2004 the club has had more success than in their previous history combined. In that time fans have seen a play off victory, a league one title, two LDV final appearances, a league one play off berth, a giant killing against Manchester United (including both Rooney and Ronaldo) and almost another against Chel-ski in last years FA Cup 3rd round.

On the back of this, 4-4-2 Magazine tip Southend to be runners up in 2009/10 and you can perhaps see why. With a promising, tight knit and young squad, a youth policy that is now bearing fruit plus a new stadium on the horizon you wouldn’t think that there would be much for Southend fans to moan about.

Au contraire. Football fans are fickle and it would appear that many Southend fans have graduated from the University of Misery with a degree in Pessimism. Depression hovers over the club as it becomes clear that we can either have a new ground or new players but not both; consequently the squad is thin at best, with many of it’s members so injury prone they make Darren Anderton look reliable. Permanent signings are out of the question as the money bags owners of other League One clubs like Brighton pay wages that ensure agents know exactly which clubs to point their clients at.

Perhaps things at Roots Hall are beginning to change for the worse. Just last week the club won a 3 month stay of execution against a winding up order issued by HM Revenue and Customs over an unpaid tax bill of nearly £700,000 from two years ago. This apparently will be funded by monies received from a national supermarket chain as part of the deal relating to the new stadium.

But that is really a hand-to-mouth existence and if the club have a poor or mediocre season with no decent cup runs it will be difficult to see where the money is going to be generated from to see the club through to the 2011 season, when the stadium will apparently be ready.

On the other hand, maybe Tilly can work his magic in the non-league market and unearth another superstar like Freddy Eastwood, or secure more successful loanees like Lee Sawyer, Dorian Dervite, Adam Federici and Hal Robson-Kanu in order to propel Southend back to the Championship.

Who knows? But, regardless of whether Southend win or lose in Saturday’s opener against Huddersfield (which, incidentally, will be the seventh consecutive home fixture on the opening day) we will have a massive over-reaction on the internet forums as fans with opposed views flame each other and shout “I told you so!” For once, an away game with lower expectations and less pressure may have been more favourable.

Perhaps a draw with the Terriers would be the best result."

Clearing out some old computer files from the hard-drive I came across this, a 500 word article I wrote in August 2009 for a magazine or paper, the name of which escapes me, it may have even been the Echo. But it was interesting to see how, even when the club was in a far better league position, some things are still the same. Taxman owed money, stadium still in the distance and the fans doing what fans do, despite the club having just come through the best period in it's history. Even super optimistic me voiced concerns about the finances and how we would survive. Yet here we are, 14 seasons later, out of the EFL but still hanging in there, waiting for the new stadium which should be a couple of seasons away, still fighting the taxman and somehow surviving on the same hand-to-mouth existence we had back then.

Reading it back, it interested me and I thought it may interest some on here too. Oh, and by the way, if I recall correctly in that opening match referred to, we threw away a 2 goal lead to draw 2-2 and ended up getting relegated that season.

"Over recent years Southend United fans have never had it so good. Since Steve Tilson (or Tilly as he is more affectionately known) took over as manager in 2004 the club has had more success than in their previous history combined. In that time fans have seen a play off victory, a league one title, two LDV final appearances, a league one play off berth, a giant killing against Manchester United (including both Rooney and Ronaldo) and almost another against Chel-ski in last years FA Cup 3rd round.

On the back of this, 4-4-2 Magazine tip Southend to be runners up in 2009/10 and you can perhaps see why. With a promising, tight knit and young squad, a youth policy that is now bearing fruit plus a new stadium on the horizon you wouldn’t think that there would be much for Southend fans to moan about.

Au contraire. Football fans are fickle and it would appear that many Southend fans have graduated from the University of Misery with a degree in Pessimism. Depression hovers over the club as it becomes clear that we can either have a new ground or new players but not both; consequently the squad is thin at best, with many of it’s members so injury prone they make Darren Anderton look reliable. Permanent signings are out of the question as the money bags owners of other League One clubs like Brighton pay wages that ensure agents know exactly which clubs to point their clients at.

Perhaps things at Roots Hall are beginning to change for the worse. Just last week the club won a 3 month stay of execution against a winding up order issued by HM Revenue and Customs over an unpaid tax bill of nearly £700,000 from two years ago. This apparently will be funded by monies received from a national supermarket chain as part of the deal relating to the new stadium.

But that is really a hand-to-mouth existence and if the club have a poor or mediocre season with no decent cup runs it will be difficult to see where the money is going to be generated from to see the club through to the 2011 season, when the stadium will apparently be ready.

On the other hand, maybe Tilly can work his magic in the non-league market and unearth another superstar like Freddy Eastwood, or secure more successful loanees like Lee Sawyer, Dorian Dervite, Adam Federici and Hal Robson-Kanu in order to propel Southend back to the Championship.

Who knows? But, regardless of whether Southend win or lose in Saturday’s opener against Huddersfield (which, incidentally, will be the seventh consecutive home fixture on the opening day) we will have a massive over-reaction on the internet forums as fans with opposed views flame each other and shout “I told you so!” For once, an away game with lower expectations and less pressure may have been more favourable.

"2011........when the stadium will apparently be ready" Classic!
Poor Tilly, he did so well, until the wages to players even stopped. Those players named, I've given very few 10 out of 10's over the years, but 2 of them were to Freddie Eastwood, (4-3 win away to Chesterfield, Eastwood hat-trick), and Dorian Dervite.

However, as I've previously posted, I contacted a mate a week before the opening fixture of the season around a decade before this article, asking if I'd have a team to support for the game Saturday due to the financial problems I was reading about at the time! (So a good 23 years ago!)

'plus ça change, plus chest la même chose'

Last edited:
"2011........when the stadium will apparently be ready" Classic!
Poor Tilly, he did so well, until the wages to players even stopped. Those players named, I've given very few 10 out of 10's over the years, but 2 of them were to Freddie Eastwood, (4-3 win away to Chesterfield, Eastwood hat-trick), and Dorian Dervite.

However, as I've previously posted, I contacted a mate a week before the opening fixture of the season around a decade before this article, asking if I'd have a team to support for the game Saturday due to the financial problems I was reading about at the time! (So a good 23 years ago!)

'plus ça change, plus chest la même chose'

Tilson and Brush done an incredible job and built the double promotion side on a tight budget.

How badly they were treated when Ron failed to fund player wages. He blamed everyone else's, nothing has changed.

The calibre of loanees 😯

Reactions: TSG
Back