• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Song for Saturday

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
When I was just a nervous fan,
I sat and wondered, where will we be?

Will we be champions, 2nd or 3rd
Or end up behind Swan-sea

Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be
We're going to beat Grimsby
By a goal or three

I hope so, I really do...

sad.gif

We're gonna have a party! Nice song, fbm.

Nice effort. Print up some song sheets (2,405 or so) and give them out on Saturday.

Failing that, I fear its the drum and "de de de de de, Freddie ........" we will muster.

I would love us to have a song to sing that has a bit more invention and that we all can easily know. We could use "Blue" but the lyrics their don't really work in a 'chorus fashion" to lend themselves to mass singing and are too detailed anyway.

If you've ever been for instance at a Stoke away match (I had nothing better to do one evening) to hear them in full cry with "Delilah" is really pretty good.

Why "Delilah" god knows, but it sounds good in my view and proves you don't have to have something relevant to your club.

If anyone knows The Pogues they will probably heard of the "Sally Maclennane" track. This really is an upbeat catchy number and would be just as good as the Stoke tune if we, say, used the following bit of the chorus:

"I'm sad to say, I must be on my way
So buy me beer and whiskey cos I’m going far away
I’d like to think of me returning when I can
To the greatest little boozer and to Sally MacLennane"

But maybe I'm expecting too much. Is "Stand up if you love Southend" really the limit of our vocal ability? Sadly I think it is.

It would not take too much effort to build up amongst our relatively small band of loyal fans (of whom most bar the odd exile 'reluctantly' on a sun bed overseas will be those at Grimsby) a song which we could call our own, keep it going and gradually over a few games build it up to get a wider audience joining in say when at home. The Pogues number as above would get my vote.

Oh well, dream on I suppose.

De de de de de, Freddie Eastwood, de de de de de......

wow.gif
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Shrimper @ May 05 2005,23:57)]Nice effort. Print up some song sheets (2,405 or so) and give them out on Saturday.

Failing that, I fear its the drum and "de de de de de, Freddie ........" we will muster.

I would love us to have a song to sing that has a bit more invention and that we all can easily know. We could use "Blue" but the lyrics their don't really work in a 'chorus fashion" to lend themselves to mass singing and are too detailed anyway.

If you've ever been for instance at a Stoke away match (I had nothing better to do one evening) to hear them in full cry with "Delilah" is really pretty good.

Why "Delilah" god knows, but it sounds good in my view and proves you don't have to have something relevant to your club.

If anyone knows The Pogues they will probably heard of the "Sally Maclennane" track. This really is an upbeat catchy number and would be just as good as the Stoke tune if we, say, used the following bit of the chorus:

"I'm sad to say, I must be on my way
So buy me beer and whiskey cos I’m going far away
I’d like to think of me returning when I can
To the greatest little boozer and to Sally MacLennane"

But maybe I'm expecting too much. Is "Stand up if you love Southend" really the limit of our vocal ability? Sadly I think it is.

It would not take too much effort to build up amongst our relatively small band of loyal fans (of whom most bar the odd exile 'reluctantly' on a sun bed overseas will be those at Grimsby) a song which we could call our own, keep it going and gradually over a few games build it up to get a wider audience joining in say when at home. The Pogues number as above would get my vote.

Oh well, dream on I suppose.

De de de de de, Freddie Eastwood, de de de de de......

wow.gif
wow.gif
Top post - I agree completely. We had a good day in Macclesfield two or three years back and came up with a few songs (Kevin Maher eating bananas with his feet/having a monkey on his head and Leon Cort being hung like horse - not necessarily Christmas number 1's I know.) It seems though that besides the excellent "Days of Christmas" song from last year ("10 Donkey Broughtons" etc) there has been a real shortage of creativity.

I hope that amongst the two thousand Shrimpers tomorrow we can come up with a new tune on the way up there. Failing that, once we've won the game and secured promotion will do. See you in Grimsby....

smile.gif

Perhaps we should have one bragging that 106 people in Southend West voted for the Max Power party

...or maybe not!

Get the guys from soccer AM to lead the singing - they were excellent!!

marching on together,
we will defeat grimsby,
we will finish in third,
above the taffs from swansea,

we all follow southend,
we av come from roots hall,
we stay strong and united,
coz we can
laugh.gif

we are going up....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ May 06 2005,09:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Shrimper @ May 05 2005,23:57)]

wow.gif
wow.gif
Top post - I agree completely. We had a good day in Macclesfield two or three years back and came up with a few songs (Kevin Maher eating bananas with his feet/having a monkey on his head and Leon Cort being hung like horse - not necessarily Christmas number 1's I know.) It seems though that besides the excellent "Days of Christmas" song from last year ("10 Donkey Broughtons" etc) there has been a  real shortage of creativity.

I hope that amongst the two thousand Shrimpers tomorrow we can come up with a new tune on the way up there. Failing that, once we've won the game and secured promotion will do. See you in Grimsby....

smile.gif
How about Young Girl? Official Song of the STC a few years back? Or is that too cliquey?
rock.gif

ain't no stopping us now, we are the Blues

or

and i would walk 500 miles, i would walk 500 more
just to be the man who walked 1000 miles to see Mark bentley score.

lala lala lalalalalala

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 06 2005,13:56)]ain't no stopping us now, we are the Blues

or

lala lala lalalalalala
Either of them would do.

a particular favourite of mine is sung along to the chorus of Dean Martin's 'That's Amore'

Wheeennn the ball hits the back on the grimsby town net,
That's Fed(d)y Eastwood!

Wheeennn the ball hits the goal its not shearer or cole,
That's Fred(d) Eastwood!

Surely another good one would be:

Stand up if you hate Scunthorpe,
stand up if you hate Scunthorpe....etc

It'd get the whole ground on their feet - and might just convince the Grimsby players that a defeat for them may not be the end of the world for their supporters
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ May 06 2005,14:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 06 2005,13:56)]ain't no stopping us now, we are the Blues

or

lala lala lalalalalala
Either of them would do.
I like the first one - more people would recognise that (its better known than the Proclaimers effort although I particularly liked the words) and the simpler, the better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ May 06 2005,14:56)]Surely another good one would be:

Stand up if you hate Scunthorpe,
stand up if you hate Scunthorpe....etc

It'd get the whole ground on their feet - and might just convince the Grimsby players that a defeat for them may not be the end of the world for their supporters
wink.gif
That should be on the cards! I for one would stand up and sing those words!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yeovil_Shrimper @ May 06 2005,14:51)]a particular favourite of mine is sung along to the chorus of Dean Martin's 'That's Amore'

Wheeennn the ball hits the back on the grimsby town net,
That's Fed(d)y Eastwood!

Wheeennn the ball hits the goal its not shearer or cole,
That's Fred(d) Eastwood!
Not convinced. Doesn't quite run off the tongue like:

When the ball hits the goal it's not Shearer or Cole,
It's Zamora...

Even if he is a hamster!

Surely it would sound better like this:

When the balls in the goal its not Shearer or Cole,
Its Fred Eastwood.

When the ball hits the net like a little rocket,
Its Fred Eastwood.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ May 06 2005,18:41)]Surely it would sound better like this:

Its Fred Eastwood.

Its Fred Eastwood.
Close, but this is surely the winner:

Its Super Cheese Wilson.

Its Super Cheese Wilson.

Back