• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend 0 Leicester 0

Napster

No ⭐
December 1993 - almost 30 years ago!

Football: Birmingham veto upsets Fry​

Southend United. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0
Leicester City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0

TWO confrontations dominated yesterday's proceedings at Roots Hall, where Southend had to be satisfied with a point that lifts them to third place in the First Division from a match that was 70 minutes of tedium followed by 20 minutes of mayhem.

The first man-to-man incident was familiar, in that it involved Leicester's fractious striker David Speedie, whose late tackle on Derek Payne eight minutes from time provoked the Southend man into retaliatory action, for which he was sent off. The second was bizarre, taking place during a post-match television interview with Southend manager Barry Fry. Fry wants to talk to Birmingham City, who have made an informal approach to him over the manager's job following Terry Cooper's resignation. His chairman at Southend, Vic Jobson, does not want him to go and points out he is under contract.

Fry intends to consult the League Managers' Association. 'I'm very happy at Southend,' he said, 'but much as I would love them to be a giant, it won't happen.'
If there is a question over Fry's departure, there was none over that of Payne - although the exact nature of his offence was unclear.
Speedie, who was booked, certainly appeared to make the most of his open-handed swipe.

But the defeat of rivals Crystal Palace gave Southend cause for overall satisfaction, and for their man of the match, Chris Powell, there was an added delight - an assortment of variously flavoured and coloured condoms presented by the South Essex Health Authority, sponsoring the match as what they termed the climax to their world AIDS day campaign.

Southend United (4-4-2): Sansome; Poole, Edwards, Bressington, Powell; Gridelet, Hunt, Payne, Otto; Jones (Mooney, 65), Angell (Lee, 65). Substitute not used: Royce (gk).
Leicester City (4-4-2): Ward; Grayson, Carey, Whitton, Lewis; Mills, Agnew, Thompson, Philpott; Speedie (Gee, 83), Roberts. Substitutes not used: Coatsworth, Poole (gk).

Wasn't this match televised? Remember fuming at Fry's post match comments, the beginning of the end of any promotion dream! Still it led to that 3-1 win over Birmingham, (next season?), and that was a memory worth keeping ?

Wasn't this match televised? Remember fuming at Fry's post match comments, the beginning of the end of any promotion dream! Still it led to that 3-1 win over Birmingham, (next season?), and that was a memory worth keeping ?
We didn’t play Birmingham the next season as they got relegated:ROFL:

The game you are thinking of was New Year’s Day - just a month or two later.

The 3-1 result was a travesty. It should have been so many more.

Yes it was on the Big Match on Sunday afternoon 5th December. Not many more than 6000 attended - I think we could have been 3rd at the time. Karen Brady, Sullivan and Gold were at Birmingham. Peter Taylor took over from Fry and we stuffed Birmingham 3-1 on New Years day In front of over 10 k. Thats about as good as it got for Taylor who struggled to get results from Fry’s players.

I’m still convinced that if Fry had stayed we would have got promoted.

Fry had that spat with Jobson in front of the camera’s after the game if memory serves. I think it was the next day Fry was interviewed walking down Pier Hill spouting on about how he loved the club.

The next day he’d joined that slag Brady at Birmingham what a C..t. ?

Personally I think we could of taken our time appointing someone in his place. All went tits after that ?.

Yes it was on the Big Match on Sunday afternoon 5th December. Not many more than 6000 attended - I think we could have been 3rd at the time. Karen Brady, Sullivan and Gold were at Birmingham. Peter Taylor took over from Fry and we stuffed Birmingham 3-1 on New Years day In front of over 10 k. Thats about as good as it got for Taylor who struggled to get results from Fry’s players.

We would have gained Premier league football for sure.

Only my second blues game. I remember the Derek Payne slap like it was yesterday, although not much else about the game.

It’s one of those things we’ll never know, my gut feeling is we had already hit our peak that season at the time Fry left and I don’t think we would have sustained a promotion push. We had the likes of Graham Bressington, Mick Bodley and David Howell making appearances in defence, I feel we will have conceded too many goals. Personally I felt our 1991/92 team was better with the more solid defence of Powell, Austin, Prior and Scully.

Couldn’t get into North Bank as it was full. Had to run around to theSouth with the Brum fans. There was lots of little pockets of Blues fans dotted around!! Great day and can remember it like yesterday. Not that I can remember much about yesterday lol.
I loved that team and the way they played!!!!

Reactions: TSG
Back