• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 2-0 Cheltenham

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Mildy 7.5 Some good saves and looked comfortable
Francis 7.5 Some good crosses and less shaky at the back but ran into players at times
Clarkey 8 Won every header, good performance but not his best this season
Dervite 7 Less dominant than usual but did what was asked of him
Barrett 8.5 Worked hard, fantastic tackling and header for goal
Laurent 6.5 One moment summed it up for me; he beat his man and then did a stepover with no one near him. Looked out of position (which he was) and struggled
Macca 8 Good running and passing, good vision. Loved it when he barged into their player, pointed at the league 1 badge on his arm and stuck 2 fingers up, legend.
Grant 7.5 Fought well but not as good as recent performances, good tackling most of the time
Moussa 8 Apart from missing an easy chance he created a lot and had good movement
Theo 8 Quick and was our only spark in the first half, we need someone like him next season
Barney 7.5 Some good chances and movement
Subs
Scannell 7.5 Ran down the line well created a chance or two
JFC 7.5 Didn't have much time to make an impact but fantastic goal!
Betsy 7.5 Didn't have much time to make an impact

Ref 6 Fussy
TBV 9.5 Good in the first half, amazing after that, well done!

Last edited:
"JFC - 7.5 - Didn't have time to make an impact"

The ratings are pretty fair apart from the above. Apart from scoruing a lovely goal (side foot into top corner from outside box), he also did the trick of the season by the corner flag.

Bit kind there methinks. The first half was dreadful, so half arsed. Cheltenham wanted it so much more for the first half and I thought two of their loan players - Hutton and Artus looked very handy indeed. Perhaps we should keep tabs on them for the future. Hutton, despite his size, looked a very useful left winger in the Gower mould, albeit with a bit of pace.

One moment that did make me wonder though was when after about 40 minutes, McCormack, Grant and Francis came over to the bench and McCormack screamed "nobody knows where they're playing!". Pre match preparation at it's best there.

Ratings:

Mildenhall 7: Didn't really have much to do other than a couple of regulatory saves. Did make a couple of good kicks to hit Cheltenham on the counter though.

Francis 6.5: Better than of late, although Hutton got a lot of joy out of him early on.

Dervite 6.5: Not as dominant and commanding as we've come accustomed to.

Clarke 7.5: Never missed a thing. Solid. Sign up Clarkey, sign up Clarkey.

Barrett 7: Possibly his best performance at left back although his lack of ability on the ball did hinder us as usual at times. Why did he save a decent header from a free kick for the final game of the season though....

Laurent 6.5: In the first half he was one of few due any credit, but he never really appeared in the second half. I just can't see him lasting next season to be honest.

Grant 6.5: M.O.M? Not at all. At times alright, but he was one of the players that appeared to be thinking of the beach.

McCormack 6.5: Please practice passing to a blue shirt in the summer. Unlucky with a couple of attempts though. Showed his usual immature petty behaviour with his personal 90 minute barging match with Artus as well.

Moussa 7: One of the better performers, he'll be a key player next season IF given the chance in the middle.

Barnard 5.5: The attempt from the halfway line aside, dreadful. I wouldn't lose too much sleep if he went in the summer to be honest.

Robinson 6: He just didn't seem to have his usual bounce and appetite today and in the first half I thought, along with a fair few around me, it looked as if he knew he was playing his last game for us. Perked up in the second half but was wasteful.

Subs:

Scannell 6: Tidy enough, well apart from when he tried to jump out the way of a Francis cross and it knocked him over.

Christophe 7: Showed promised and scored a fine goal.

Betsy 6: Really unlucky with his chance at the end after working it superbly.

I thought it was good entertainment considering neither side had anything to play for. With the pressure off the players took more risks. Christophes trick on the byline, Barnards lob from the halfway line and out build up play in general was a delight to watch at times.

Despite their keeper being smaller than Darryl and most hobbits I thought made a good fist of trying to command his area.

Should we read anything into Mildy chucking his gloves into the stand after the game?

Short and sweet:

Mildy - 7
Francis - 6.5
Clarke - 7
Dervite - 6.5
Barrett - 7
Laurent - 6.5
Grant - 6.5
McCormack - 7
Moussa - 7
Barnard 6.5
Theo - 6.5

I thought it was good entertainment considering neither side had anything to play for. With the pressure off the players took more risks. Christophes trick on the byline, Barnards lob from the halfway line and out build up play in general was a delight to watch at times.

Despite their keeper being smaller than Darryl and most hobbits I thought made a good fist of trying to command his area.

Should we read anything into Mildy chucking his gloves into the stand after the game?

Not at all, when Mildy was signing autographs after the game and loads of people were asking him for kit etc. he said that he had given all of this away and only had one pair of gloves left for Tuesday's game which he would throw to the crowd at the end. He threw two pairs into the crowd (which he said were worn out) before today's game as well if you noticed.

By him disposing of this gloves to fans as souveniers, you should not read anyhing into this - same as T&B throwing towels to the crowd on the lap of honour at the end.

Grant 6.5: M.O.M? Not at all. At times alright, but he was one of the players that appeared to be thinking of the beach.

Hmmmm, I think he makes the difficult things look easy. Played one excellent first time pass in the first half to a totally static forward line that made me think he's got that little bit of nouse. Show me someone else who really desderved MOM.

Last edited:
I liked the look of the youngster they had on loan from Spurs David Hutton, number 46. Had speed and great control.

Mildenhall - 6
Francis - 6.5
Dervite - 6.5
Clarke - 7 .Sign Up Clarkey!
Barrett - 7
Laurent -7
Grant - 6
McCormack -7
Moussa - 7
Barnard - 6.5
Robinson - 7

Subs:
Scannell - 6
Christophe - 7.5
Betsy - 6

I thought Francis was better than 6.5 . He didn't have a lot to do defensively and his crosses today were brilliant, and TBH we should have scorred more than one from them.

It would be good if we had a chant for when we score from one of his crosses. He isn't going to score (m)any -- but he does deliver a good ball. We should take the time to make sure he knows that we appreciate that. I'm convinced it wil help him and therefore the team.

I liked the look of the youngster they had on loan from Spurs David Hutton, number 46. Had speed and great control.

Yep, everything our wingers dont have. Looking on their forum, sounds like he is close to signing a permanent deal with them. Get in there Tilly!

Mildenhall - 6.5, not a lot to do, hence lowish mark what he did he made look easy
Franno - 7, a better game by his standards, some determined defending and some excellent work going forward, including the free kick for Barrett's goal
Dervite - 7, what we expect from him, will miss him tremendously
Clarke - 8, MotM, he's here, he's there etc completely in control at the back and of the back line
Barrett - 6.5, some strange moments for Barrett I thought, well taken goal but booked - fairly - imo for a succession of bad or unfair challenges
Laurent - 6.5, he's got something, trouble is he doesn't always use it. Thought he did ok until he went over the wall into the North Bank, seemed under par when he came back
Macca - 7.5, usual sort of Macca game - I didn't notice him having any problems with their players - quite the contrary I'd have said, he was laughing and joking with a couple of them. Unlucky not to score and played some lovely through balls, plus some good heading
Grant - 6.5, not been as good since that last lot of injuries, looked to be in trouble again when Jeff came on
Moussa - 6.5, had about 4 clear chances that he really should have done better with, yes, his play is good but his finishing was poor
Theo - 7, showed his greedy side again, to the cost of others, but was full of running and finding positions
Barney - 7.5, don't know why people are so hard on him, thought he had a good game, lots of intelligent play and numerous times was in better positions for shots than those who did. Surprised he was subbed

Jeff for Grant - 7.5, should have started imo, his form and commitment were unquestionable when he came on - fantastic goal!
Scannell for Laurent - 6.5, sorry, still not convinced, did ok, but like Theo needs to be aware of who else is around and better placed, another who should have done better finishing wise
Betsy for Barney - 7, was impressed, thought he did well, looked a real nuisance

Ref and officials - 7, hardly noticed him, which means he must have done ok. Agreed that the early goal should have been disallowed, looked like it was handled by Clarke to me.

TBV - 10, great way to end the season guys, well done.

Mildy 7.5 Some good saves and looked comfortable
Francis 7.5 Some good crosses and less shaky at the back but ran into players at times
Clarkey 8 Won every header, good performance but not his best this season
Dervite 7 Less dominant than usual but did what was asked of him
Barrett 8.5 Worked hard, fantastic tackling and header for goal
Laurent 6.5 One moment summed it up for me; he beat his man and then did a stepover with no one near him. Looked out of position (which he was) and struggled
Macca 8 Good running and passing, good vision. Loved it when he barged into their player, pointed at the league 1 badge on his arm and stuck 2 fingers up, legend.
Grant 7.5 Fought well but not as good as recent performances, good tackling most of the time
Moussa 8 Apart from missing an easy chance he created a lot and had good movement
Theo 8 Quick and was our only spark in the first half, we need someone like him next season
Barney 7.5 Some good chances and movement
Subs
Scannell 7.5 Ran down the line well created a chance or two
JFC 7.5 Didn't have much time to make an impact but fantastic goal!
Betsy 7.5 Didn't have much time to make an impact

Ref 6 Fussy
TBV 9.5 Good in the first half, amazing after that, well done!

I would agree with all of that, but Jeff deserves an 8, hopefully the highlights will show that trick again!

Back