• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend's transfer activity

Southend's transfer activity - or lack of...

• Agree, want to make sure we get the right players in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Agree, don't want to raise the wage bill unless confident

• Disagree, squad's too small

• Disagree, not enough quality

• Disagree, for the sake of disagreeing

• Agree cos I'm in the rose-tinted merrymen (but really disagree)

• Total voters

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Seems to be a hot and divisive topic. What do we all think?

unclesam.gif

I.E.

Do you agree with Southend's approach to transfers at the end of the transfer window?

(edited whilst at home)

I agree with the transfer policy the Club is adopting. Why bring in a player for the sake of bringing in a player? Tilly, Brush and Martin only want players at this Club that want to be here and that would genuinely improve the squad and the team.

Why bring in players that will cost money, be it wages, signing on fee, transfer fee etc if they aren't better than what we have? The Club, under the guidance of Tilly has been continuously improving and that will carry on unless we start signing players for the sake of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Sep. 01 2005,18:37)]I agree with the transfer policy the Club is adopting. Why bring in a player for the sake of bringing in a player? Tilly, Brush and Martin only want players at this Club that want to be here and that would genuinely improve the squad and the team.

Why bring in players that will cost money, be it wages, signing on fee, transfer fee etc if they aren't better than what we have? The Club, under the guidance of Tilly has been continuously improving and that will carry on unless we start signing players for the sake of it.
Your point is valid but not all the players in any squad are top draw. There is going to be(most likely) a time when we need an extra body and unfortunately sometimes that will be a make-weight. Of course I want to see the best here but equally I do not want to see tough league encounters and us with youth players making up the numbers.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Your point is valid but not all the players in any squad are top draw.

Okay, fair enough but which of the players are you talking about here? And, who would you replace them with (Has to be a realistic option)?

Tilson hasnt actualy made one bad signing that i can think off? 19 good players we have and there all good enough to keep us mid table! Dont raise wage bil for the sake of it ;p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Sep. 01 2005,18:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Your point is valid but not all the players in any squad are top draw.

Okay, fair enough but which of the players are you talking about here? And, who would you replace them with (Has to be a realistic option)?
To be honest I am not talking about replacing any of them merely adding to the squad. Not all additions have to be stars. There are always the steady players that you need when injuries and suspensions come calling. For example; There may be a striker who is third or fourth choice at his respective club and may only be third or fourth striker at ours but at least we would have a fourth striker with more experience than Lawson. I am not dissing the boy. He may be a star of the future but it may not be his day yet. We could have signed an average left back as cover so that if Wilson were to be injured at least the side does not have to lose its shape. It will be impossible for any club to always field their strongest side but they should at least be able to field a team. We may very soon struggle to do that. People have talked about the level of Lg 1 and to be fair I have often said on this site that I do not believe it is worlds above Lg 2. A few sides maybe. This is supported by the likes of Bentley, Gower, Eastwood, Cole etc.. It is not so long ago they were all plying their trade well below this level but they are not out of their depth now. Lets be realistic, not break the bank and get a few Honest Johns from the Conference or whatever. With Tillys proven eye for a player they may well at least be up to holding the fort in times of player crisis. Most of them would probably like to sign for us as well.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 01 2005,18:27)]What is the basic premise with which we either agree or disagree?

rock.gif

P.S. Was the last option written expressly for me...?!

tounge.gif
"with" and "it" should have been included in hindsight but I was about to run away from work so I didn't have time to make sure it made sense. I presume that everyone else understoiod and didn't juust click randomly!

As for the rose-tinted merry men, well, you couldn't click that option because you are the leader and to disagree, even secretly, would be heresy.

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

don't really know what i'm supposed to vote for. i'm a bit concerned that we haven't signed anyone, but there's not anything to agree or disagree with, unless we know that we were offered Player X for a certain not unreasonable sum, and turned it down...

on a related note, is Stev Angus still kicking around on trial?

Stev Angus signed for Grays last week - keep up!

As for squad size... too small, not enough cover.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Sep. 01 2005,19:26)]Lets be realistic, not break the bank and get a few Honest Johns from the Conference or whatever. With Tillys proven eye for a player they may well at least be up to holding the fort in times of player crisis. Most of them would probably like to sign for us as well.
rock.gif
I'm sure Tilly is looking at this option. I read somewhere that you can still sign players outside of the transfer window from the lower leagues - as long as they've never played professionally before.

I think the squad size is too small but agree with Southends Transfer policy of not buying for the sake of it and just bringing dead weight to make up the numbers.

I can understand Rablokes concerns but how many players will sign for us knowing that they will be 3rd or 4th choice striker or know they will only get a game should che get injured. Answer is players with no ambition or not enough skill to believe in themselves and thus players we don't need want at the club. We are hardly renowned for our high wages and it's no as if we can offer a decent wage for a player to come in and warm the bench. plus this would only upset our current decent players who may be on lower wages.
But thanks to our LDV runs we do have money to improve the squad and wages available for better players to raise the standard of the squad. I don't believe this shoudl be frittered away on nobodies who we may not need. I'd rather see a youth team player fast tracked.

Tilly and Brush haven't let us down yet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Sep. 02 2005,10:09)]or know they will only get a game should che get injured.
Somehow I dont think it would be hard for a left back to oust Che from the side even if he is fit.

Thats the weakest position we have at the moment.

For me we need a left back and at least another option up front.

Back