• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Attack

And long may our scoring streak continue.

I remember this time last season, when we couldn't buy a goal. So we loaned a certain Mr. Eastwood, and I believe the anniversary game of his debut is the Forest game....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Oct. 02 2005,16:57)]And long may our scoring streak continue.

I remember this time last season, when we couldn't buy a goal. So we loaned a certain Mr. Eastwood, and I believe the anniversary game of his debut is the Forest game....
Eastwood's debut was the 16th October 2004. I'm sure Swansea fans remember it quite well...
tounge.gif

I noticed in the Gillingham programme that we have the best ratio of goals to shots on target in League One. Our 24 goals (pre Staurday) had come from something like 55 shots on target.

Our opponents have had something like 85 shots on target but had only managed 13 goals. This puts our defence at the top, or very near the top, in League One.

A bit worrying that our opponents have had 50% more shots on target than us. Either very worrying, or just shows that these Optima type stats are a load of junk. I'd go for the latter - anyone can have a high "pass completion rate" if they never attack!

I don't think it's that worrying about the shots on target thing - for one, OPTA stats are crap, and it just means that we're better at finishing our chances than the opposition.

It also may be because we often score first, so our opponents are chasing the game and taking more pot-shots at us...

Well, since there should always be:

(a) room for improvement; and
(b) something to complain about (wouldn't be right, as a Southend fan, if there weren't)

...I'm going to highlight another stat: the time when we concede.  Look at the bar charts about three-quarters of the way down this page, under "Goal Time Distribution".

Football365 - Southend stats page

Of the 17 goals conceded this season, 5 of them - that's 30% - have been scored just before half-time.  Indeed, if it hadn't been for Neil Harris's glaring miss on Saturday (still can't work out how he didn't bury that one), then that would be 6 out of 18, or exactly one-third.

That's a very significant proportion... and a very significant stat. In other words, the players are losing concentration and turning off just before half-time.  Something for Tilly & Brush to pick up on, methinks.

We can - we must - always strive to be better; especially after last Saturday's game (which was as poorly as we've played this season, if we're brutally honest).

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 03 2005,11:40)]We can - we must - always strive to be better; especially after last Saturday's game (which was as poorly as we've played this season, if we're brutally honest).
Surely not - we were worse than that in the Port Vale match (especially first half!)

I guess you can read into stats what you want. Defence wise in our division only 5 teams have conceded less, and attack wise only 1 team more.

I think what is more mportant is the distribution of goals through out the team, we have scored 24 goals and we have 9 goal scorers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Oct. 03 2005,11:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 03 2005,11:40)]We can - we must - always strive to be better; especially after last Saturday's game (which was as poorly as we've played this season, if we're brutally honest).
Surely not - we were worse than that in the Port Vale match (especially first half!)
Port Vale was a bit of an anomaly.  We were a bit tentative / clueless / timid in the first half... it was as if "ooh, we're here with the big boys now and we're a bit scared".

Tilly duly gave them a rocket at half time, and for the second 45 we played Vale off the park and, really, ought to have snatched a draw.

As for the Gills game, I just thought it was a poor, negative game from both sides... scratchy in midfield, bitty, game never flowed (thanks in no small measure, as wiggy pointed out, to the ref).  Nevertheless, the overall performance wasn't great - from either side.  We won simply becaused we believed in ourselves more than they did - not surprising, given our league positions.

Matt

The important stat is that we have scored more than we have conceded for 7 games in a row!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 03 2005,12:03)]The important stat is that we have scored more than we have conceded for 7 games in a row!
Agreed... but it's always good to spot our vulnerabilities and deal with them, is it not?!

upside.gif

Back