• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Captain

Southend Captain - Should it still be Maher?

• Maher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barrett

• Edwards

• Prior

• Che

• Gutts

• Bentley

• Smith

• Eastwood

• Gower

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 04 2006,16:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Jan. 04 2006,16:45)]Yeah but Tom, you have to factor in that Maher was captain prior to Tilly & Brush's appointment as the management team.  This plus the alleged infamous "captain clause" may well explain why he is still captain.

I think the best post on this topic was that you can't get enough captains on the field and that we're lucky that Barrett, Prior, Flavs, Gutts etc are all quite vocal players!
Hmmm... Just what evidence is there for this "infamous clause", Rich? I think that if Tilly felt that it was important to change the Captain then he would do it. In the meantime, as you say, the team is very self-motivating, so there is no need to make dramatic changes.
I personally would like to think that SUFC as an organisation are professional enough not to offer (albeit when he last signed a contract one of) their most prized assets such a trivial clause. It's just you hear about it so much on here that you sometimes believe the hype!

As has been said elsewhere our team-spirit is what has got us into our current situation & long may it continue!

In Mahers absence, Barrett. I personally don't rate Maher as a captain, but to take it away from him would be a dreadful move at this stage.

Personally, even thought I started this poll, why take away the captaincy from a player who is Southend through and through, who has been at the club longer than most of the other players put together and who has lead us to two cup finals, promotion and now top of league 1 since Tilly has taken over.

It's got to remain Maher. The players respect him, he knows the club as well as most, and he's a decent commander on the pitch ...

WS
Jávea

FFS we are top of the league. do we really need a thread about changing captain??

move on get over it and how about congratulating our captain rather than trying to have a pop about him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Jan. 04 2006,16:29)]been at the club longer than most of the other players put together
The next longest serving player would be Darryl Flahavan, if you forget the 3 months or so that he wasn't at the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Jan. 04 2006,21:30)]The next longest serving player would be Darryl Flahavan, if you forget the 3 months or so that he wasn't at the club.
Ah yes! That was when the "mighty" Havant & Waterlooville were courting him for his services ...

WS
Jávea

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Jan. 04 2006,19:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Jan. 04 2006,21:30)]The next longest serving player would be Darryl Flahavan, if you forget the 3 months or so that he wasn't at the club.
Ah yes! That was when the "mighty" Havant & Waterlooville were courting him for his services ...

WS
Jávea

biggrin.gif
What would Wiggy have done eh?
biggrin.gif

For f%&ks sake - We are to of the league most predicted we would go straight down from. I suggest we change as little as possible.....
mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamesmut2000 @ Jan. 04 2006,19:51)]FFS we are top of the league. do we really need a thread about changing captain??

move on get over it and how about congratulating our captain rather than trying to have a pop about him.
Couldnt have put it better meself.

My thoughts on the whole thread aswell.

Back