• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend fan - you got it wrong!

radioshrimper

The Southend fan who posted the thread about Essex FM - got it totally wrong.

The newsflash made no reference to Southend United signing anyone one French or any player for that matter.

In the bulletin which followed there was reference to Man United buying the full-back from Monaco.

(Factual not misleading)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (radioshrimper @ Jan. 07 2006,11:13)]The Southend fan who posted the thread about Essex FM - got it totally wrong.

The newsflash made no reference to Southend United signing anyone one French or any player for that matter.

In the bulletin which followed there was reference to Man United buying the full-back from Monaco.

(Factual not misleading)
But the problem isn't really about one fan getting one newsflash wrong is it? It's about the perception that Essex FM devote almost no air time to SUFC and when they do it tends to be wrong or patronising.

That perception may or may not be justified, but if Essex FM want to convince the fans otherwise perhaps they ought to spend some time reviewing their approach to the club?

It was me, but i'm still certain i heard "Southend United signing a French Superstar"...

It couldn't have been about United, As There was no reference to manchester United at all in the bulletins that followed. Whether it was a simple mistake i don't know, but the fact remains that Essex FM is Useless regarding teams that are actually in Essex...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 07 2006,11:28)]It was me, but i'm still certain i heard "Southend United signing a French Superstar"...

It couldn't have been about United, As There was no reference to manchester United at all in the bulletins that followed. Whether it was a simple mistake i don't know, but the fact remains that Essex FM is Useless regarding teams that are actually in Essex...
Maybe it was a reference to 'United'? Many news organisations refer to Man U as if they are the only United in the whole league.
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 07 2006,11:16)]That perception may or may not be justified, but if Essex FM want to convince the fans otherwise perhaps they ought to spend some time reviewing their approach to the club?
Get real! We are not the county town but merely Chav Central anchored by bling to stop us floating across the brook that tentatively seperates us from the marsh rats. We need Southend FM or Blues Radio or even Geezer Air, to give us the deserved coverage we all crave for. Over to you Scriv!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Jan. 07 2006,11:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 07 2006,11:16)]That perception may or may not be justified, but if Essex FM want to convince the fans otherwise perhaps they ought to spend some time reviewing their approach to the club?
Get real! We are not the county town but merely Chav Central anchored by bling to stop us floating across the brook that tentatively seperates us from the marsh rats. We need Southend FM or Blues Radio or even Geezer Air, to give us the deserved coverage we all crave for. Over to you Scriv!
biggrin.gif
Essex FM make their money from advertising, rates for which are based on the size of their audience. I just don't understand how a commercial organisation, which needs to maximise its audience and is based in a geographicaly limited area, can afford to alienate anyone at all. It is not just disrespectful, it is stupid.

The consequence, as you point out, is that they make it that much easier for new stations like Southend FM to eat into their "listenership". Stupid, stupid, stupid!

So what level of SUFC coverage should we expect to hear on a local commerical radio station?

Match reports, live commentary, phone-ins etc?

What do you think?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 07 2006,11:28)]It was me, but i'm still certain i heard "Southend United signing a French Superstar"...

You lot disgust me - you all seem to think that just because Essex FM is based in Essex that it should provide coverage of clubs IN Essex instead of just the very rare and never factual patronising comments that crop up once in a blue moon on their station. Honestly......

tounge.gif

P.S. I absolutely HATE Essex FM, the people who work for them and broadcast on their station are clearly absolute muppets - thank God for BBC Essex I say, at least we have one radio station dedicated to Essex clubs as they should be.....and most of their info is spot on. Essex FM shame on you
mad.gif

If they want to be committed as they sometime think/hope/wish they are, Match reports and Phone-ins wouldn't be a tall ask, catering for all Essex Teams, Southend, Scum Ewe, Grays, Chelmsford, Grays, Billericay....

Live commentary is BBC Essex's speciality, and i can understand the problem with competition... But if they want to brand themselves as committed to Essex its about time they actually were...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 07 2006,12:31)]Maybe it was a reference to 'United'? Many news organisations refer to Man U as if they are the only United in the whole league.
Spot on! And I guess this was what was misheard during the broadcast. Still, they might not be "UNITED" for long ...

I have to say that Essex FM is one of those things I DON'T miss about leaving Blighty! Awful station that barely had anything to say about local football ...

WS
Jávea

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Jan. 07 2006,11:50)]Spot on! And I guess this was what was misheard during the broadcast. Still, they might not be "UNITED" for long ...
I can't remember the exact crowd, but FC United (formed by Man U fans upset by the Glazier takeover for those who don't know) pulled in over 4,000 the other week, more than many teams in League Two...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 07 2006,11:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Jan. 07 2006,11:50)]Spot on! And I guess this was what was misheard during the broadcast. Still, they might not be "UNITED" for long ...
I can't remember the exact crowd, but FC United (formed by Man U fans upset by the Glazier takeover for those who don't know) pulled in over 4,000 the other week, more than many teams in League Two...
Better than a certain club who play at Layer Road as well.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (radioshrimper @ Jan. 07 2006,11:41)]So what level of SUFC coverage should we expect to hear on a local commerical radio station?

Match reports, live commentary, phone-ins etc?

What do you think?
Match reports. Keeping up with what is happening at the club, eg injuries, transfer activity. Phone-ins, perhaps. Live commentary, no BBC Essex do OK at that. Occasional interviews with managers and players. Giving credit for success in whichever league.

But basically, taking the local sports scene seriously, and as EastStandBlue has said, that means fair coverage for all the Essex based teams. The perception at the moment (just see the other comments in this thread) is that Essex FM thinks that the local sports scene is parochial and beneath it, and that is an awful approach from a Regionaly based Radio Station.

[b said:
[b said:
If You Ask me, Thats kind of sick when you take into Account Macclesfield are less than 20 minutes away from Manchester and struggle to get 2,500 in every week AND facing closure...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 07 2006,12:17)]
[b said:
[b said:
If You Ask me, Thats kind of sick when you take into Account Macclesfield are less than 20 minutes away from Manchester and struggle to get 2,500 in every week AND facing closure...
Exactly, and a point that was made on the Radio recently. There are plenty of clubs needing support around Manchester. The AFC Wimbledon thing is quite different in that the club was physically removed from the community.

I loathe Essex FM with a passion.

But I thought their Southend coverage had been improving recently...

Of course with DAB radios now I dont have to tolerate it any more

Back