• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wiganman

Alright lads,

I'm a writer for the 'All Gone Latics' a Wigan Athletic fanzine, and I'm doing the 'fans view' feature on Southend. If you could answer these questions that would be great. Thanks again, all the best this season.

1) Do you think you could sneak into the play-offs? What were your expectations at the start of the season?
2) Is there much difference in terms of 'quality of football' from League 2 to League 1?
3) There's talk of Phil Brown moving onto Bolton in the summer, do you think he will and what are your thoughts on him as a manager?
4) There seems to be a lot of hype around Jack Payne, how good is he really?
5) Best moment supporting Southend?
6) Top 3 players in League 1 this season?
7) One player you could sign for Southend, who and why?
8) Who will get promoted?

Alright lads,

I'm a writer for the 'All Gone Latics' a Wigan Athletic fanzine, and I'm doing the 'fans view' feature on Southend. If you could answer these questions that would be great. Thanks again, all the best this season.

1) Do you think you could sneak into the play-offs? What were your expectations at the start of the season?
2) Is there much difference in terms of 'quality of football' from League 2 to League 1?
3) There's talk of Phil Brown moving onto Bolton in the summer, do you think he will and what are your thoughts on him as a manager?

Never say never but think it would take winning all our games and can’t see that happening. We have met my expectations,I thought we would be an outside playoff shot but probably fall short.

Yes a significant jump IMO,League two is mostly big physical teams and long ball

3)There's talk of Phil Brown moving onto Bolton in the summer, do you think he will and what are your thoughts on him as a manager?
Yes I think it’s pretty much nailed on that he’ll be at Bolton next season. Think he has done a great job for us, he splits fans opinion but I think a lot of our fans have unrealistic expectations.

Massive potential and he has been superb the last few months, he has a real talent with the ball at his feet, one of the best dribblers I’ve seen. Would not surprise me if he made if to the premier league but it is potential at this stage, he hasn’t done it consistently for a season yet and we can’t get too carried away with what he has done in the last couple of months, every player has purple patches.

Playoff final last year, rollercoaster of emotions!

Connor Washington, Nicky Ajose, Romaine Sawyers

Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi is awesome but CR wants to do it all himself and we’d need that.

Burton Wigan Millwall

Alright lads,

1. No,too big a points gap now.Thought we'd struggle to make top half-we still might.
2. Yes,noticeable step up.
3. It looks like he'll go .I won't be that sorry,very questionable tactically-not just the negativity,but team selection/substitutions have often been seen as ridiculous by everyone.Have to say Paul Sturrock with less money deserved promotion more.
4. Obviously has talent more evident now not being asked to play in midfield.Still needs to improve a lot if he hopes to succeed at a higher level.
5. Freddie Eastwood's 30yard birthday,hat trick goal in the 3-0 win at Bristol City in our promotion year-the whole crowd applauded.And last season at Wembley,of course.
6. Most players I have only seen play once,some not at all.
7. Messi-better than the world's other 3 top strikers-Suarez,Ibrahimovic and Neymar.
8. Wigan Burton and play-off guess-work Barnsley ?

No, & mid table.
Not a lot, better away days but not much else.
No, good manager generally but doesn't know squat about attacking.
Yes,,,,,,maybe. Championship quality at least.
4-0 demolition of newcastle United to put us top of the Championship/old Div1.
No real stand outs, Alun Armstrong was good at Ricoh BUT if he played here then it went un-noticed. Jack Payne.
Gareth Bale, British superstar.
Wigan, Burton and ?

Alright lads,

1. We've had a couple of chances to put ourselves back in the frame but the recent losses at home to Chesterfield and away to Rochdale and finally at Blackpool have killed us. Expecting mid table at best.
2. A step up all over the park.
3. I think he'll stay rather than joining a club who are on the way down still. I suspect there is more to come out of the woodwork at BWFC. Whilst his set ups, team selections and tactics are puzzling at times and have certainly cost us in games he has brought success so it's positive.
4. Jack is an exceptional talent with loads more to come. He's our Messi.
5. There have been a few for me in 49 years but last seasons play off final win is probably the best because it was at Wembley and is most recent.
6. Mark Duffy of Burton, Billy Sharp of Sheff Utd and our own Jack Payne.
7. Be happier to get Jack Payne and Dan Bentley on new contracts over any new incoming.
8. I fancy Wigan ( You could'nt really fail with the parachute payment), Burton ( been consistantly dogged) and Millwall ( in form at the right time), in that order.

Looking forward to the 23rd and the short trip for me.

1) Do you think you could sneak into the play-offs? NO What were your expectations at the start of the season? 18th POSITION
2) Is there much difference in terms of 'quality of football' from League 2 to League 1? YES
3) There's talk of Phil Brown moving onto Bolton in the summer, do you think he will and what are your thoughts on him as a manager? NO; INCONSISTENT - HAS HAD SOME GREAT TACTICAL GAMES e.g. VERSUS BURTON, BUT USUALLY JUST OK
4) There seems to be a lot of hype around Jack Payne, how good is he really? HE COULD BE VERY GOOD INDEED, CHAQMPIONSHIP STANDARD AT LEAST
5) Best moment supporting Southend? I HAVE SUPPORTED THE SHRIMPERS FOR OVER 50 YEARS SO THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL BIG MOMENTS (BEATING MAN UTD) BUT LAST SEASON'S PLAY-OFF VICTORY AT WEMBLEY WAS PROBABLY THE MOST DRAMATIC
6) Top 3 players in League 1 this season? BILLY SHARP, JACK PAYNE, NICKY AJOSE
7) One player you could sign for Southend, who and why? JAMIE VARDY FOR OBVIOUS REASONS
8) Who will get promoted? BURTON, WIGAN AND BRADFORD VIA PLAY-OFFS)

No, the chance has gone now as we dropped too many points when in winning positions. Thought we would survive by the skin of our teeth
Yes, faster pace and more decisive / clinical finishing
I don't think he will leave now, but had Bolton survived I think he would have done so. I have mixed feelings of him being manager. He obviously got us promoted last season by the skin of our teeth, and I am happy that we stayed up this year, however he is a 'tinker man' and probably if the team selections been consistent then so would have been the performances which may of led to promotion this term. His tactics are very cautious which can lead to boring games!
This has been Jack's 'break through' season. He shows great potential but is not yet the finished article, and needs to stay with us for another season!
I have supported Southend United for 45 years. There have been many good moments, and because they are few and far between it is hard to select just one. But I think for pure emotion it has got (for me) to be when Peter Clarke equalised for us in the 90th minute away at Chelsea in the 2009 F.A Cup.
Difficult one this, Leon Clarke, Tom Bradshaw, Bradley Dack
It would have to be Ronaldo for his pure quality and determination, but it would would be good if we could go back in time when I would re-sign Stan Collymore
Wigan, Burton and Walsall.

1) Do you think you could sneak into the play-offs? Never say never until it's mathematically impossible! What were your expectations at the start of the season? I hoped for mid table so am delighted with how we've performed
2) Is there much difference in terms of 'quality of football' from League 2 to League 1? Yes, I think so, unfortunately L2 will always have its share of "cloggers" and "hoofers". The physicality is much more basic in L2 and there is more opportunity to play more fluid football in L1
3) There's talk of Phil Brown moving onto Bolton in the summer, do you think he will and what are your thoughts on him as a manager? Wasn't a massive fan when he was appointed but he's won me over, although I do sometimes struggle to understand the reasoning behind some of his choices. Still a bit undecided about Bolton, there's definitely a temptation but I do think we've got under his skin a bit too and his ability to do so much TV and radio work from where we are located has to be borne in mind too
4) There seems to be a lot of hype around Jack Payne, how good is he really? On his day he really lives up to his tag line of "The Essex Messi", he has flair and ability in bucketloads however, there are some sides who have totally nullified him this season - big, strong sides, particularly earlier on in the season
5) Best moment supporting Southend? Wow, over 40 years since I started going along with my Dad....the Liverpool draw in the FA Cup on a snowy January evening in 1979; Freddy Eastwood's debut hat trick against Swansea; That goal by Freddy and 1-0 win against a Manchester United crammed with internationals - all great moments, but nothing can possibly surpass that moment when Joe Pigott stuck the ball in the net in the Play Offs last season at Wembley on 120+ mins to get the draw and the ensuing penalties!
6) Top 3 players in League 1 this season? Jacob Murphy had a brilliant spell for Coventry; Bradley Dack for Gillingham and I'm going with our Jack Payne too
7) One player you could sign for Southend, who and why? Jamie Vardy - who wouldn't at the moment?!
8) Who will get promoted? Burton and Wigan have it pretty much sewn up at the top. Play offs are pretty much still open - I think Millwall might surprise people

Back