• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Millwall

Really don't know how we lost that one tbh. Ran the game from start to finish but one error by Barrett let Millwall in and they scored. Ratings -

Mildy - 7 - No chance with point blank goal. Made one great save in second half
Sankofa - 6.5 - Usual solid, no-frills performance
Dorian - 7 - Solid as ever
Clarke - 7 - Solid as ever. Distribution shocking as ever
Barrett - 6 - Didn't have a bad game but made one rash diving tackle (missing the player and ball by a mile) which left a huge gap at left back for the goal
Grant - 7.5 - Pick of our players tonight. Grafted away and wasnt scared to have a run at the millwall defence. Played a few good balls through the defence as well.
Christophe - 6.5 - Worked hard and was always looking for the ball. However, gave the ball away too much.
Macca - As Christophe but gave the ball away sooo much it was embarrassing.
Moussa - 7 - Worked hard and had a little run at the Millwall full back a couple of times. Set pieces were poor
Robinson - 6.5 - No problem with his work ethic but he just wasnt on his game tonight. Had a great chance in the first half but blasted over
Laurent - 6 - Didn't look fit to me and was a bit of a bystander at times.

Subs

Betsy - 7 - Looked sharp when he came on and had a decent attempt at goal.
Francis - 6.5 - Again, did alright when he came on. Put a couple of decent balls in the box

Played well and had some good chances but showed why we havent scored many goals at home, the midfield has a lack of ideas and creatvity, especially when the team is losing. Wouldve helped to have had some spare strikers of course.
Also thought Francis shouldve come on much earlier as Osei is pretty useless once he crosses the half way line although thought he defended well.
Dervitte was man of the match for me, class throughout.

I reckon Franics needs to be putback on the right wing in the games we are setting out to attack in, such as tonight. His crosses were deadly and his pace was useful. His height his a great asset too.
Viva la Francis.

Really don't know how we lost that one tbh. Ran the game from start to finish but one error by Barrett let Millwall in and they scored. Ratings -

Mildy - 7 - No chance with point blank goal. Made one great save in second half
Sankofa - 6.5 - Usual solid, no-frills performance
Dorian - 7 - Solid as ever
Clarke - 7 - Solid as ever. Distribution shocking as ever
Barrett - 6 - Didn't have a bad game but made one rash diving tackle (missing the player and ball by a mile) which left a huge gap at left back for the goal
Grant - 7.5 - Pick of our players tonight. Grafted away and wasnt scared to have a run at the millwall defence. Played a few good balls through the defence as well.
Christophe - 6.5 - Worked hard and was always looking for the ball. However, gave the ball away too much.
Macca - As Christophe but gave the ball away sooo much it was embarrassing.
Moussa - 7 - Worked hard and had a little run at the Millwall full back a couple of times. Set pieces were poor
Robinson - 6.5 - No problem with his work ethic but he just wasnt on his game tonight. Had a great chance in the first half but blasted over
Laurent - 6 - Didn't look fit to me and was a bit of a bystander at times.

Subs

Betsy - 7 - Looked sharp when he came on and had a decent attempt at goal.
Francis - 6.5 - Again, did alright when he came on. Put a couple of decent balls in the box
Agree with that!

I sit near a person who just constantly thinks he is better than Steve Tilson and moans at every little thing. But can people just realise that getting fantastic results vs Man U and Chelsea doesnt make us a 'top' side. We are far from, very average imo but have a lot of potential and young players. If we go up from L1 to the CCC we will come straight back down. I actually didnt think we done that bad tonight we have a lot of work to do to get near the bigger teams and I think some people really need to realise that we arent an amazing team. Hence why that mystery striker never wanted to join us.

I think they'd have scored no matter whether Barrett had dived in early or not. The defence all round was pretty much absent for that move, but AB's obvious mistake means he's likely to have to shoulder the blame.

Disappointing result but the performance wasn't too bad. I don't think Laurent should have played as he couldn't run at all. Just hope he hasn't come off more injured than he started.

We'll probably lose a few more matches like that before the end of the season. I'm not too downbeat though. Roll on August.

We actually played ok tonight. Especially in the conditions!!!

It does show how much of a fine line there is between being mid table and in the playoffs, because quite frankly millwall were poor, and if it wasn't for barretts ridiculous attempt at a tackle then we may have taken something from this game.

What a change to have a decent ref as well!!!

Mildenhall - no chance with the goal and yet again made a wonderful save towards the end of the game. dealt with everything in the air - 7.5

Sankofa - solid in defense but offers nothing going forward yet again - 6.5

Clarke - solid yet again, some vital tackles, has been a rock since dorian came in - 7

Dorian - Dealt with everything, and people seem to bounce off of him. an ox at the back with a quality touch, nothing flashy but does his job brilliantly - 7

Barrett - yet again his wanting to win every single ball has cost us. WHy did he try and win the ball for there goal? clarke was standing him up and he was going no where, barrett dived in and left his man who had a free run into the box to cross for there goal. distribution wasn;t great again, and still looks the weak link defensively in the back four - 5.5

Moussa - again had another solid game, looks good in spurts going forward and a great couple of runs. - 7

Christophe - wastes the ball far too much. simple passes that aren't making the distance but again wins so much in the middle - 6

macca - couple of good oppotunities, but would still love to see him venture forwards a little more - 6.5

Grant - same as christophe really, won alot in the middle but some of his passes were wayward, although he did play the pass of the game to set up macca - 6.5

Laurent - didn't look fit and offered nothing going forward - 5.5

Robinson - looks dangerous all the time. so quick and lively and has got a great desire to win everything - 7.5

Won't rate the subs as none of them really had much of a chance when coming on although betsy looked lively.

Can forget the play offs now and concentrate on getting some consistancy going before the start of next season. would like to see a couple of the youths start to get introduced a little more towards the end of games and maybe a couple of starts before the end of the current campaign, give them some experience rather than chucking them in at the deep end if they are needed next season.

Still bring on the walsall!!!

Last edited:
The player who really stood out tonight was their no. 6 (blond guy). Totally marshalled their defence and read the game like Bobby Moore. The sort of player we need for next season.

The player who really stood out tonight was their no. 6 (blond guy). Totally marshalled their defence and read the game like Bobby Moore. The sort of player we need for next season.

They signed him from liverpool. Whitbread i think his name is. was a good player, much like dorain

Mildenhall - 7 - Not much to do tonight, unlucky with their goal, looked solid.

Sankofa - 6.5 - I like to see him get forward more
Dervite - 9 - MOTM - This guy is pure class, he was everywhere tonight, and nearyl grabbed the equaliser too!!
Clarke - 7.5 - Solid from the big man, unlucky not to score
Barrett - 5 - I think this was Sir Adam's worst game at left back, looked at sea for 90 minutes.

Grant - 5.5 - 70 minutes in he decided he had had enough
Christophe - 7 - A moment of brilliance followed by a poor pass, should have scored, one of those days
Macca - 6.5 - Went missing for large parts
Moussa - 7.5 - Our best midfielder again, I just wish he had had a go in the first half, looking forward (I hope) to him plaing CM on sat.

Robinson - 6.5 - Not a lot of service tonight, and the one chance he had a smashed over, and was a little too selfish when in wide positions
Laurent - 6 - Was not fit, had no service.

I'll add more detail in the morning.
I think we again lacked the creative spark that would have helped tonight and against Crewe, we went backwards too often and struggle to create something out of nothing at times but finishing tonight was awful.
Mildy 7.5 Strong performance
Sankofa 5.5 Awful attacking play let him down
Dorian 7.5 Solid performance
Clarke 8 Covered for Barrett well, worked hard, continued good form
Barrett 7 At fault for goal but not a bad display and is getting better at LB
Grant 6.5 Drifted in too often, didn't create much but good defensively
JFC 7.5 Attacking play improved, covered the back 4 well
Macca 7.5 Missed a few good chances and some bad passes but most creative player
Moussa 7.5 Good runs and passing
Theo 7 Should have scored, pace worried their defence again
Laurent 6 Didn't look fit, limited impact
Subs
Betsy 8 Looked lively and worked hard
Francis 7 Didn't have long enough to make an impact
Herd 7 One long throw, not on long enough

Ref 8 Not afraid to get the card out, good display
TBV 8 Very loud, great banter/arguements with Millwall fans

Mildy - 7 - no chance with goal, made quality save 2nd half. (loved his new chant)
Sankofa - 6 - sams as usual, dependable but his game goes un-noticed
Dorian - 7 - very solid
Clarke - 7 - same as dorian
Barrett - 6 - he did ok but felt he backed off and off for there goal leaving the winger with nothing but room to run into
Grant - 7 - done ok but felt he should try and shoot more, had 2 or 3 openings but went for easy ball
Christophe - 5.5 - thought he was very bad tonight. no threat going forward and gave them ball away on at least 5 occassions is very dangerous posistions
Macca - 6 - let down by christophe but non effective at all. few good tackles
Moussa - 6 - very very very poor from set pieces especially in the first half.
Robinson - 6.5 - ran all game and done his best but no impact on the game
Laurent - 6 - not fit and was never going to be able to do anything. not his fault.

Subs

Betsy - 6.5 done his best and nearly scored
Francis - 6 - did nothing

The usual frustrations that I feel nearly every game came out for me again tonight. I'm going to rant about the same things. Again. The simple things with us seem to be the hardest. We NEVER retain possession from our throw ins, yet the opposition manage quite easily to do it. We only take 1 decent corner out of every 4. Yet again Tilly left it far too late to make a change - having a forward who actually had 2 functioning legs made a massive difference. It was once again utterly pointless having Barrett at left back for the 2nd half - why not bring Herd on earlier? We for once take a decent quick corner and Anthony Grant, one of the least likely players to score a goal we have had for sometime, decides the best option would be to shoot from an impossible angle instead of crossing into the box. There were far, far too many schoolboy like errors tonight and that's not the first time that's happened. I sometimes wonder if our players pick and choose which games they'll actually bring their brains with them. And finally, the square peg round hole problem at home has once again cost us. Yes it might work away from home, but at home it's a real struggle. I lost count of the amount of times I screamed "width" tonight. People might think I'm being harsh as we were unlucky not to win tonight, but some of what I saw tonight infuriated me, and I'm not just talking about having to watch Gary Alexander amble and moan through another game at the Hall.

Ratings:

Mildenhall 7: Made 2 decent stops and stood in the rain with the rest of us for the rest of the night.

Sankofa 6: Not really tested defensively and as usual added little going forward.

Dervite 7.5: Probably the pick of the team and after a couple of iffy displays, he put in another decent one.

Clarke 7: The usual blood, guts and thunder.

Barrett 5: I moan about Barrett a lot more than most and tonight summed up why. Utter, utter cack for the goal and again did not add anything going forward on the left when we needed it. Experienced left back PLEASE Tilly.

Grant 5.5: Started off alright but then went downhill quicker than an Olympic skier and decided he preferred trying to pass to the cameraman on more than one occasion.

Christophe 6: Made a couple of decent interceptions, but missed an absolute sitter. I still don't understand why he is so bad on the ball or so hapless when he tries to pass it though.

McCormack 6.5: Made some good driving runs but as usual let himself down when he attempted to find a blue shirt.

Moussa 5.5: He made a couple of decent runs towards the box and got his shot away, but he added so little on the left for the rest of the game. I'm certain, absolutely certain, that if he had a Harding, Mulgrew or a Hammell behind him then it wouldn't matter that he's not a winger as it'd cover the cracks.

Robinson 6.5: As usual he worked hard and used his pace, but he showed his raw side today with a couple of his wayward attempts, and especially with that one on one.

Laurent 5: I still to this minute do not understand the thinking behind starting him. He shouldn't have even been on the bench. Anyone who watched him attempt the shooting warm up would've realised that he was never fit enough. Grant and McCormack shouted to the bench after an hour that his time was up but they were ignored and it took another 10 minutes until an injury broke up play for Grant to come over the bench and shout "Gaffer he can't run", prompting Betsy to get changed. Did the bench not notice this earlier!?

Subs:

Betsy 7: Made a massive difference up top as he actually had a sprint on him unlike Laurent. Unlucky not to score.

Francis 6: Delivered one stunning cross but wasn't involved much other than that.

Herd /: Got a couple of minutes and caused trouble with a long throw.

i think we played well tonight and i no this has been mentioned before but is it just me or do we not seem to be able to take attacking throw ins??

Thought we played ok tonight , thought Grant and Dervite were head and shoulders above the rest. Laurent wasn't fit although we didn't have many bench options. Conceded a poor goal due to defenders diving in and committing but all in all we looked the better side.

Going back to the width issue, we should have a trialist line up on the left side of midfield tomorrow in the reserves, so perhaps Tilly is thinking over the problem.

Bobby Moore is one of the greatest players ever to grace a football field. How can you compare him to some 2nd rate League 1 journeyman whose mane you don't even know???:thumbdown:

The simple things with us seem to be the hardest. We NEVER retain possession from our throw ins, yet the opposition manage quite easily to do it. We only take 1 decent corner out of every 4. Yet again Tilly left it far too late to make a change - having a forward who actually had 2 functioning legs made a massive difference.

Laurent 5: I still to this minute do not understand the thinking behind starting him. He shouldn't have even been on the bench. Anyone who watched him attempt the shooting warm up would've realised that he was never fit enough. Grant and McCormack shouted to the bench after an hour that his time was up but they were ignored and it took another 10 minutes until an injury broke up play for Grant to come over the bench and shout "Gaffer he can't run", prompting Betsy to get changed. Did the bench not notice this earlier!?

QUOTE]

Spot on.

I did a report from the training ground post on here on friday and I said that Laurent was nowhere near fit. This was more obvious after his first race with a Millwall defender.
No One was more shocked than me to see him line up at the start.
Pathetic, not gonna help his injury either.

Back