• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one player out there earned more than a 4 today.

**** poor tactics and zero effort. Players walking around and arguing amongst themselves.

Dreadful game. Possibly the worst I've seen for about 10 years.

Brown. Get out of our club.

I noticed a man of the match wasn't announced today. Mooney can have an overly generous 5 for a couple of decent flick ons, McGlaslan and Barrett were at least trying so can have 4.5, everyone else gets 3. Please stop bringing Williams on PB, he does nothing and we were actually starting to get into the game before he came on.

I noticed a man of the match wasn't announced today. Mooney can have an overly generous 5 for a couple of decent flick ons, McGlaslan and Barrett were at least trying so can have 4.5, everyone else gets 3. Please stop bringing Williams on PB, he does nothing and we were actually starting to get into the game before he came on.

Barrett spent all game wrapping his arms around the Fleetwood players. Surprised the ref didn't give a penalty. Love Adam but his good days are behind him

Totally agree with southendkid.

I can't think of a worse performance, absolute toilet.
No closing down, long balls to short players against giant defenders, mistakes, poor decisions, bad passes.

When the fourth official announced 5 extra minutes some bloke behind me said 'we don't want it!'

Match report: Southend United 0, Fleetwood Town 2

FLEETWOOD Town recorded their first ever win against Southend United this afternoon, cruising to a comfortable 2-0 victory at Roots Hall.

More...

Absolutely awful. We had 5 promising minutes when McGlashan replaced King, then after half time it was just as woeful as before. Let down by the basics, no attacking intent, no creativity or anything driving us forward, absolutely nothing to even consider getting excited about. Not one positive on show today.

Oxley 5 Long kicks up the middle to no-one, no urgency in his play, made two saves, should have done better with the first in my opinion
Demetriou 5.5 Good player all around but so often let down by the basics with his control and short passing
Thompson 6 The only player to come out with any credit thanks to some good first half tackles
Barrett 5.5 Worked hard but lost his man at almost every set piece and couldn't keep up
Coker 5 Don't think I've seen him play worse
O'Neill 4.5 Woeful out wide, improved centrally but still struggled
King 4 Offered nothing and positionaly poor
Leonard 5 Like Coker, worst I've seen him play, looked disinterested
McLaughlin 5 Lazy, never tracks back until his man has the ball 30 yards closer to the goal, doesn't make runs
Bridge 6 Struggled to make an impact but was doing the right things
Cox 5.5 Looked frustrated and struggled on his own up front

Subs
McGlashan 6.5 Got at them and made a difference
Mooney 6 Best I've seen of him in a while, but still didn't come close to scoring, some decent flick ons
Williams 4 Cox at his worst is ten times more likely to score than Williams at his best

Never seen a less inspiring performance at Roots Hall, we could still be playing now after Fleetwood have gone home and I still don't think we'd score.

Totally agree with southendkid.

I can't think of a worse performance, absolute toilet.
No closing down, long balls to short players against giant defenders, mistakes, poor decisions, bad passes.

When the fourth official announced 5 extra minutes some bloke behind me said 'we don't want it!'

I thought I heard an audible groan when the five minutes was announced. That's a new one! :stunned:

Clueless, and embarrassing;

Oxley 3; If a shot goes anywhere near the goal it's in ! Mad one save that I can remember, pushed it straight out to the on-coming forward who made a mess of it at 0-1. Should have pushed it wide!

Demetrieu 4. Why he is an improvement on John White I'll never know.Check, and backwards.

Coker 4. Whats happened to him?

Barrett 4.5 at least he tries, but there is not much left in the tank and not much around him I'm afraid.

Thomson 4.5 keeps getting the ball when he doesn't want it, but then again that can be said for most of the team.

O'Neil; 4 anonymous for most of the first half.

Bridge 4. Not good enough for this level I'm sorry. Didn't do much at all forwards or defensively, waste of a shirt.

Leonard 5, Our best player (yes) but he has our best shot, and we are playing him too deep. That said he wasn't good either.

King; 3 not good enough for Crewe, not good enough here. Rightly subbed.

McLaughlin 3: up against McLaughlin at RB . Good with the ball, rubbish without it! Lazy! Moans at decisions so he doesn't have to track back...think no-one notices? well we do.

Cox 3; nothing fed to him, up against 2 defenders who gave him no time , but then again he doesn't look to trouble defenders, can't say I'm that impressed with him so far to be honest.

Subs;

McGLashan 4. Looked brighter on the right, but that's not saying much.
Mooney 4.5 we looked a bit better 442 when he came on.
Williams 3. No

Brown. out
Ref. Good but we should have had a penalty, but it would have papered over the crack of a very, very poor performance.

Overall, There is a lot of very hard work to do for this team to avoid relegation, starting with all PB's signings!

I think I may have picked the right match to swerve with a family event. From those that went, would a new decent forward next to Cox have made any difference?

I think I may have picked the right match to swerve with a family event. From those that went, would a new decent forward next to Cox have made any difference?
If you added a decent goalkeeper, 4 decent defenders and 4 decent midfielders too. Created absolutely nothing and spent half of our time in possession passing around the back four before a pointless hoof forwards to no-one or out of play.

This game was a repeat of the home performances since about March time.
I am at a loss to defend PB or understand his ideas or way of playing.
We keep playing it slow, side, side, side, slow, back and then long boot forward to players who are not the best aerially and then loss possession without mustering any type of threat.
Occasionally we get the ball down the flanks but the delivery then is at best average.
We are too easy to counter, too slow to get forward and static at defending or attacking set pieces.
Oxley made a couple of great saves today but was well beaten from the very good, strong and low long range 1st. He ought not to have been beaten at the near post for the 2nd;-which was coming for a while.
Coker looked good until they scored then he lost any attacking intent; and got caught leading to the 2nd goal.
Demetreau, same as Coker, lost heart when we went behind.
The two Adams, both static and square, never take ball forward and poor at passing with any intent; too often pass sideways when unchallenged and on our own penalty box: can they not take the ball forward 20 yards at their feet while others make moves/space/runs?
The rest of the team.............all quite fruitless and no cohesion or understanding between them. I don't think we had a single shot on target all game (worth remembering) did we?

Overall the atmosphere turned toxic when we went 2 behind which helps no-one.
Rosler gave PB a touch line lesson in how to work the line for the whole game - PB stood folded hands and silent for last 20 minutes.
Unless Anton and Nile (and a fit Timlin) can work miracles we are in for a hard and cold season.

Well, they would have had to have scored three and as Cox didn't sound to have got any service, I don't know what two lost souls up front would have achieved? Yes, evidently we need that striker but we also need someone who can make something happen in midfield ...........and a central defender who doesn't hug opposition strikers would be a help. Yet, from the impression of the AWFULNESS of that display I got from the commentary...........where on earth do you start???

Probably not since our tactics seem to consist of lobbing it into the box as soon as we're 40 yards from goal, which is completely useless for a player like Cox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back