• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seldom does an opposition player receive the applause from a Southend crowd Oztumer got when he was substituted, fully deserved as well.

As others have said, huge credit to all who did their best to get the match on. Such a shame the team's performance didn't reflect the efforts of supporters and staff.

I expected it to be a dour 0-0 after the performance in the 1st half, people seemed to be hesitant and cautious, almost as if they didn't trust the pitch - which is odd as it was really quite soft and our lot should be well used to it by now. I don't think I saw a decent tackle until Wordsworth came on, and that was part of the problem, no-one wanted to tackle so Oztumer grew in confidence and was able to secure his hat-trick.

I think Oxley will be disappointed, the goals looked quite soft. For a defence that conceded 3, the four didn't actually do too bad - Turner and Ferdinand were solid, Coker was trying to get things moving, Demi was a bit quiet perhaps. Our problems were further forward (not for the 1st time this season). Midfield - Timlin gave the kind of performance which scared the bejebus out of us on occasion earlier in the season at LB, Harrison was ineffectual, McLaughlin was hard working but not really getting forward and Dru was the only one showing the kind of performance we've got used to under Powell. Further forward, Cox had his usual hard working game, but Ladapo showed little.

We did have more shots than them up to their 2nd goal ad attacked quite well early on, probably should have scored, especially Harrison's touch quite early in the 1st half. However, with McLaughlin becoming more stifled in the middle with more defensive minded duties, we just offered zero creativity, and were lumping the ball up to Ladapo however, their 24 lapped up almost every header and their keeper plucked every ball that went near him.

The change was needed as soon as they scored, however, for some reason, Powell delayed it and gave Walsall the chance to double their lead. Fortune and Kightly were the obvious subs for the two new youngsters. I felt Fortune should have started anyway. We did look better when they came on, suddenly we were getting forward a bit more. Woody for Timlin was also a pretty obvious substitution. I didn't think we deserved to lose 3-0, but I don't think we deserved anything out of it either.

Oxley - 4
Demetriou - 5
Turner - 6
Ferdinand - 6
Coker - 6
McLaughlin - 6
Yearwood - 7, MOTM
Timlin - 4,
Harrison - 5
Cox - 6
Ladapo - 4

Officials - Excellent. Not normally a fan of Brakspear but thought he controlled things well, chivvying them up with their subs, clearly instructing their player not to kick the ball away, blatantly turning his back on a supposed penalty shout when McLaughlin took a tumble. Wasn't overly fussy or officious.

Some work for the boss to do in the week ahead I think.

Last edited:
Result today aside, a big positive was that SUEPA arranged it's first 'mini event' this afternoon by re-uniting two players who put on a Shrimpers shirt back in the 1960's - today was the first tme they'd met in 51 years. There was a brief on the pitch photo and tanoy announcement about 10 mins or so before kick-off.

A couple of pics have just been posted up on the SUEPA Twitter and Facebook pages.

SUEPA is not just about celebrating the past but equally as important we want to create new memories. In a small way today I count that as job done.

Much much more will come from SUEPA in the months and years ahead so please support us, follow us on Twitter/Facebook, and if you have any links to ex players who you think might like to join (its free!) then do let us know - you can message me, message us on Facebook/Twitter, or email us at suepassoc@gmail.com

There will continue to be daily SUEPA Twitter/Facebook page news

We do hope to stage quite a big SUEPA event at the match v MK Dons in April - news on that will be announced nearer the time.

SUEPA match report over.

UTB

A very poor first half by both sides was followed by Brownesque display in the 2nd.No width ,punting poor balls into the box to a keeper who treated it like a practice game .No tackling or aggression from the start and poor passing .Substitutions made too late ....An absolute shocker for the fans to watch on such a cold day

Ladapo 1 - Pathetic. One of the poorest centre forward displays I've seen for years. If he gets a start infront of Fortune next game ill be seriously worried.

Ladapo 1 - Pathetic. One of the poorest centre forward displays I've seen for years. If he gets a start infront of Fortune next game ill be seriously worried.

My worry is that SCP might fall in to the “he is my signing so I have to stick by hill” camp. I hope not, he hasn’t done anything get to justify getting in ahead of MAF who has a very good understanding with Cox.

Surreal atmosphere at the Hall, well done to the volunteers who got the game on and fair play to Ron who, clearly after last weeks postponement didn't want another week of inactivity.

In the first half, I felt we were on top, even though neither side got out of second gear. Cox had a few attempts, Ladapo put a header against the scoreboard. A few crosses came in and their keeper claimed them with ease. They created very little and seemed content to keep us out. It was as dull as you like, but I never felt this would be a 0-0 and the game was there for the taking for either side, whichever one wanted to get into third gear and accelerate away.

We started a bit more brightly in the second half and a golden chance fell to Harrison who really should have dived forward and headed the ball, but instead chose to use his feet and the South Upper bears testament to the result.

Then, the incident that changed the game. Oxley had already made one uncharacteristic meal of what appeared to be a routine shot and on the next occasion, Oztumer hit a shot from distance that took a slightly unnatural bounce but still should have been saved. It wasn't.

The game now changed and this is when I think SCP can be criticised. It clearly wasn't working up front as Ladapo was completely ineffective. What we needed to do was make a change to try and get back into the game. Instead, nothing changed and Oztumer was able to make it 2-0 direct from a free kick. I knew it was going in before he even took it. All he had to do was get it over the wall. I think Oxley might be a tad disappointed.

It was only then that we made the changes with MAF and Kightly coming on for Ladapo and Harrison. This slightly galvanized things but Walsall defended extremely well and thwarted every attack. Their keeper just kept coming and collecting the crosses and we didn't really look like scoring.

Walsall had done their job but still looked to extend the lead. Oztumer nearly got his hat trick from another free kick in an almost identical position to the previous one but this time Oxley scrambled across and pushed the ball to safety. Then the third did inevitably come, a well worked goal and finish that no-one could do anything about. He was subbed shortly afterwards to a decent ovation from the whole ground, which was nice to see. It's always good to appreciate when an opposition player is, frankly, just better than what we've got.

So, the honeymoon period is over, I think we can say that. Let's see how much SCP has learned from this. I expect changes for the next game.

Ratings -

Oxley - 4 - By far his worst game for us ever. The saves he did make were laboured, at fault for their first and possibly their second.

Demetriou - 6 - Average performance, didn't do anything much to be honest.
Coker - 7 - Tried to get the side going and put some good crosses in.
Turner - 8 - MOM - Never in trouble, decent performance.
Ferdinand - 7 - Decent enough, couldn't be faulted for the goals.

Harrison - 5 - Didn't do much but should have scored
Timlin - 6 - Decent first half, subbed for Wordsworth
Yearwood - 7 - Some good challenges but, like everyone else, faded
McLaughlin - 6 - Didn't do much

Ladapo - 4 - Poor, no anticipation, doesn't look like a L1 striker
Cox - 6 - Battled well, could have had a couple on another day

Subs

Fortune - 7 - Tried hard but at 2-0 down it was a tough job
Kightly - 7 - Put a few good crosses in and gave us an extra dimension
Wordsworth - 6 - Good to see him back but didn't have long to do much

Ref - 7 - Decent job, it was an easy game to ref to be honest

I have to say, I thoroughly endured that!

Credit to Walsall. Their back four were immense. Especially the fella at left-back who got across on more than one occasion to block shots and old dreadlocks, who was superb. Oztumer was quality, too.

One thing we have learned today is that Freddie Ladapo is a cross between Frank Noodles and Theo Robinson on a bad day. Whichever way you look at it, he isn't up to it and completely unbalances the side and style we play. Nothing sticks and he is like a golden retriever chasing a stick. I can't think of a single moment where he was thinking slightly ahead of the play.

I thought we were fine in the first half. That pitch looked like Camber Sands and it was almost impossible to play any decent football at pace. The whole place felt flat. The crowd, the team's performance. If there ever was an advert for not busting a gut to get a game played then that was it. As 'LBBlue' said earlier, I don't think anyone really wanted to be there.

Not too worried about the result, in truth. Just hoping that a few things have been learned about the set-up and personnel. Good to see Kights back. Not so sure about Wordy, but it's early days.

Thought old Charlie did a decent job with the whistle.

One thing. That was some mass exodus when they scored their third. I've not seen that much of a stampede since it was announced the Spread Eagle were doing 2 pints for the price of one! :cheers:

Onwards and upwards!

One thing. That was some mass exodus when they scored their third. I've not seen that much of a stampede since it was announced the Spread Eagle were doing 2 pints for the price of one! :cheers:

Onwards and upwards!

We had a load of people disappear after the 1st goal near us. They were mostly youngsters who had clearly never been to a really cold game and had little jackets, ordinary trainers, no hats, scarves or gloves and clearly had no knowledge of layering your clothes! Sometimes at football, it's better to be warm even if you look a bit daft, than look hip and happening and be frozen! We can't all dress like Ben Clarkson and cope!

Not too worried about the result, in truth. Just hoping that a few things have been learned about the set-up and personnel. Good to see Kights back. Not so sure about Wordy, but it's early days.

Onwards and upwards!

Totally agree on Kightly, shame he didn't start. As for Woody, I did wonder what his appetite would be for tackling. As it turned out he actually put himself about a bit in that department, including one tackle where I had to pinch myself to make sure it was Woody doing it! I've never left a game early and I didn't today, but that exodus did work in our favour at the final whistle. Normally it takes ages to clear the West stand but today straight out and down to the bus stop and home. First time using the bus, we may try it again, saves the arse ache of parking in Macdonald Avenue.

Not really match related, but I'll throw it in here any way. We saw and spoke to the young steward who collapsed in the West Stand at the Portsmouth game. Happily he has now fully recovered and as a result of his trip to A&E he has discovered that he suffers from migraines (he didn't know) and that had caused his collapse. At least some good news from today with a happy ending..

Yep, I'd forgotten about that Wordy tackle. In fairness, it was a good one.

Totally agree on Kightly, shame he didn't start. As for Woody, I did wonder what his appetite would be for tackling. As it turned out he actually put himself about a bit in that department, including one tackle where I had to pinch myself to make sure it was Woody doing it! I've never left a game early and I didn't today, but that exodus did work in our favour at the final whistle. Normally it takes ages to clear the West stand but today straight out and down to the bus stop and home. First time using the bus, we may try it again, saves the arse ache of parking in Macdonald Avenue.

I don’t often leave early myself but today I did, it was tough viewing. The only other time I left early was against Colchester back in 2008 I think it was as I had to rush home to get to work that night and as soon as I got outside the east stand Jean-Francois Christophe (what a player by the way) scored the equaliser in a 3-3 draw.. I was gutted!

We had a load of people disappear after the 1st goal near us. They were mostly youngsters who had clearly never been to a really cold game and had little jackets, ordinary trainers, no hats, scarves or gloves and clearly had no knowledge of layering your clothes! Sometimes at football, it's better to be warm even if you look a bit daft, than look hip and happening and be frozen! We can't all dress like Ben Clarkson and cope!

Thermal insulation 1 Sartorial elegance 0 !

Ladapo looks Ryman Premier League at best, a headless chicken who doesn't even possess much pace. What he was doing at Palace God only knows. First touch is awful, positionally awful, doesn't jump, can't hold the ball up, doesn't chase down....I could go on.

Like Robinson hope he never puts on a Southend shirt ever again.

The rest of the team a bad day at the office, Would start Kightly, Fortune and possibly Wordy next week as we need goals!

Just hope Powell doesn't persist with Ladapo because he signed him, as he is one of the poorest players I have seen in a Southend shirt. We really have had a habit of signing **** strikers over the last few years,

How amusing to see all the optimism dissolve after one defeat. Perhaps Powell let down like Phil Brown by overpaid lazy players who didnt like the cold?

Back