• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Aldershot Town 1

I'm sure Harris wanted to play...it was the manager and his staff who deemed he couldn't

I'm sure you are right, as I pointed out earlier it's a strange one to me given that Dailly at 38 hasn't played in the league for about a year, has no real match practice or training, but he can play two games in three days.

We also had 62% possession. (70% at the end of the first half.) It is always easy to find stats to back up your argument.

As PS said, he has done that 3 times before last night and lost all three. He tried something different last night, and that didn't work either.

I can't remember ever agreeing with you on anything. But I actually agree with all of this. The diamond worked to a certain extent because we had so much of the ball and were completely in control. What we lacked was the final ball, and I got the impression a couple of times that the players weren't 100% sure what to do. One time in the first half Benyon got in a cross but there was no-one there. Not even Hall had made a run into the box which I would have expected.

If we had played a diamond more regularly then fair enough, but IMO introducing a new system was an error.

Personally I thought we were by far the better team. What we lacked was any kind of cutting edge. Blair did well to hold the ball up and play others in, but he never really looks like scoring. Timlin had a poor game by his standards, and I personally blame Sawyer for their goal. He seemed to assume that the ball was going off for a goal kick and start making his way up to the half way line. Their player didn't give it up, and consequently had plenty of time to measure his cross.

Clohessy didn't take a man on all night. He just crossed from whereever he received the ball. That was probably a consequence of the diamond formation: he didn't have anyone wide helping him out, and neither did Hills on the other side.
Sorry have to point that although you agree with OBL i thought Sawyer played on the RIGHT not the LEFT? and Timlin on the LEFT not the Right so kind of makes her remarks wrong ...however ....
the ball that SAWYER went for was going off for a corner i believe not a goal kick so wasn't heading up field... it also was not his man, THAT player came from the middle of box and got away from his marker which was not Sawyer ,Sawyer went across to close him down but thought the player would let it run for a corner.
i do watch his game closely an in the first half EASTSTANDBLUE points out the good football that was played interactively on the right but fails to mention it was Sawyer that was involved with this(completely slating him) he also in the first half slipped a nice ball inside for Hills on the left who took to many touch's he also caught a long ball and slipped it through for Benyon in last minute of first half he also moved the ball quickly to feet a number of times not giving it away ..........
I keep saying on here we will never see Sawyer play on the right wing as well as he has in the past in the Middle cos he is not a winger and would be far better off playing on the left so could cut inside with his right foot if being used as a winger at all .
He plays the way PS tells him to on the wing and sticks to it whether its right or wrong ! PS has decided Sawyers a winger so thats it just like other players he changes there position for them ?
Would i have played Sawyer last night NO i would have played Martin on the left an Hall on the right with Sampson an Benyon up front and not Blair purely because the Diamond shape we played made Blair dropped to deep and took up the space which i thought Hall should have been in IMO.
After making the changes were we any better ? even tho Aldershxt had there goal so the way they played changed and if anything made it easier for us to attack than before they scored ?
Still we all have our views how we see things we cant all be right

its a misnomer players only play 4.5 hours. they have to train, they have to do charity work (its in their contract) and they have to work unsociable hours while being abused by their supporters.

plus only the very top players get anywhere near a decent wage, or a long career. when they leave football, they have to start from scratch in a new career or try and get a job in the game somehow.

its a misnomer players only play 4.5 hours. they have to train, they have to do charity work (its in their contract) and they have to work unsociable hours while being abused by their supporters.

plus only the very top players get anywhere near a decent wage, or a long career. when they leave football, they have to start from scratch in a new career or try and get a job in the game somehow.

Sticking up for players?

Napster out.

Agree often spectators ball watch but linos should not. However, watch the lino and see where his eyes are. From a past Football Leaqgue Ref/Lino Assessor (not me), he admits the biggest issue he has is the linos not watching the player but following the ball. This often results in poor positioning and sometimes inaccurate decisions. Also misses afters that happen with the ball at the otehr end of the pitch. Not an easy job but that is the difference between Football League and Premiership.

My view of last night is that both Ref and lino West side had a bad day at the office. However, Southend were on par and they too at a bad day at the office. Officials did not, however, change the result by their performance.

Incidentally as I am constantly told, there are no rules in Football just Laws!!

UTB

The spectators got it wrong last night, not the assistant.

Several times last night both my son and I, said in unison 'he's offside if he becomes active' the assistant waited, the player became active and the flag was raised.

Most of the fans do not know the new rules, they ball watch and then moan when it looks like the player is on when he is not.

There was one borderline call which was maybe just offside and he did give it, but the rest were 100% spot on.

I always turn round at the bloke behind me who screams blue murder and say 'he was well off mate'. They just don't see it! The linesman is neutral, us fans are not, but most of the time it is blatantly obvious he had got it right, yet some people still complain..

the ball that SAWYER went for was going off for a corner i believe not a goal kick so wasn't heading up field... it also was not his man, THAT player came from the middle of box and got away from his marker which was not Sawyer ,Sawyer went across to close him down but thought the player would let it run for a corner.

I'm a big fan of Sawyer, and think that him being truly on form will go a long way to helping us towards promotion. But until I see it again and am proved wrong, it seemed to me that Sawyer, who was the nearest player to the ball, turned away from it until he realised that their player wasn't going to let the ball go out. Whether that was for a goal kick or a corner is irrelevant. He didn't close their player down until it was too late.

Unfortunately I was also a bit surprised yesterday because it took me about 15-20 minutes to realise he was on the pitch. Once I realised, I also noticed he did a lot of good work, as you mentioned.

It's also interesting that you say he plays the way PS tells him to do because by all accounts that's exactly what he doesn't do, and why he's not been in the team. Apparently when PS tells him something it goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe PS has tried to simplify things to make his instructions easier to understand and therefore stick...

Agree often spectators ball watch but linos should not. However, watch the lino and see where his eyes are. From a past Football Leaqgue Ref/Lino Assessor (not me), he admits the biggest issue he has is the linos not watching the player but following the ball. This often results in poor positioning and sometimes inaccurate decisions. Also misses afters that happen with the ball at the otehr end of the pitch. Not an easy job but that is the difference between Football League and Premiership.

My view of last night is that both Ref and lino West side had a bad day at the office. However, Southend were on par and they too at a bad day at the office. Officials did not, however, change the result by their performance.

Incidentally as I am constantly told, there are no rules in Football just Laws!!

UTB

The lino has to watch both the player(s) and the ball simultaneously to ensure that he makes a judgement at the time the ball is played, not easy - especially if he's also watching to see if it goes out of play before being punted forward.

West Stand lino did little wrong all evening and the referee was no worse (nor much better) than average.

The team of officials was the most accomplished of the 3 teams on show.

I thought the West Stand assistant was in the main fine, he called the offsides that I was close enough to get a decent view right.

The referee however was awful. Ignoring some of the rubbish the crowd yell out in ignorance of the Laws, from the referee's eye view (ok, mine), he didn't seem to have control, he didn't let the game flow, missed quite a bit, and was inconsistent throughout.

I'm a big fan of Sawyer, and think that him being truly on form will go a long way to helping us towards promotion. But until I see it again and am proved wrong, it seemed to me that Sawyer, who was the nearest player to the ball, turned away from it until he realised that their player wasn't going to let the ball go out. Whether that was for a goal kick or a corner is irrelevant. He didn't close their player down until it was too late.

Unfortunately I was also a bit surprised yesterday because it took me about 15-20 minutes to realise he was on the pitch. Once I realised, I also noticed he did a lot of good work, as you mentioned.

It's also interesting that you say he plays the way PS tells him to do because by all accounts that's exactly what he doesn't do, and why he's not been in the team. Apparently when PS tells him something it goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe PS has tried to simplify things to make his instructions easier to understand and therefore stick...
I'm fine with that as you say once he saw it he should have attacked it quicker although the point i'm making is that the player who had got to the ball first and stopped it going out had left his marker in the first place which shouldn't have happened and that player wasnt Sawyer ,it should have been chased down an not only by Sawyer but whoever it was supposed to be marking him,however a sloppy goal to concede which started by giving a sloppy corner to start with by Hills or Timlin not sure tho.
But if you read OBL comments she clearly states he was on the left and it sort of contradicts itself in itself ,to what you said you agreed with so was puzzled .
Had that goal not gone in at that stage with no spearhead up front we could and should have switched Hall to the right Sawyer to the left Timlin back to middle cos i really thought Hall an Blair where in the same place ......but this was before they had scored.
And PS(by all accounts wants him to unload the ball and get it in the box early not run with it or take it past or behind the defence (as Martin or Hall trys to do but that seems to be okay for them to do that) and how he is playing now is not with the same freedom as his youthfulness allowed but out on the wing (he grew up playing C/M and did rather well i remember)and its not natural for him.
He never has the chance to play his natural position C/M because all the C/mids Timlin ,Ferdinand ,Kalala,Grant now Dailly have all been so good week in week out never putting a foot wrong and been outstanding all season his only hope is out on the wing an then gets slaughtered for it .....still its only a game of football

I thought the West Stand assistant was in the main fine, he called the offsides that I was close enough to get a decent view right.

The referee however was awful. Ignoring some of the rubbish the crowd yell out in ignorance of the Laws, from the referee's eye view (ok, mine), he didn't seem to have control, he didn't let the game flow, missed quite a bit, and was inconsistent throughout.

I agree with the lino comment.
I drifted into the west from the north for the last few minutes. In that time, and from my view Harris was getting caught offside nearly all the time. And, from my view (which was not always in line with the decision) I think the lino got them all spot on. The crowd however disagreed.

One note on Harris, He tries to pull defenders around, and create space, and moves a lot more than our other forwards. This however, last night resulted in him getting caught offside because when the ball was played he was either furthest forward, or coming back, and becoming active from an offside position.

Sorry have to point that although you agree with OBL i thought Sawyer played on the RIGHT not the LEFT? and Timlin on the LEFT not the Right so kind of makes her remarks wrong
Ok, so I got my wings muddled....point still is valid though, Clohessy had no interaction with the person on the right wing, which, in this case was Sawyer. The fact I got them muddled up tells you how much I noticed Sawyer!

I'm fine with that as you say once he saw it he should have attacked it quicker although the point i'm making is that the player who had got to the ball first and stopped it going out had left his marker in the first place which shouldn't have happened and that player wasnt Sawyer ,it should have been chased down an not only by Sawyer but whoever it was supposed to be marking him,however a sloppy goal to concede which started by giving a sloppy corner to start with by Hills or Timlin not sure tho.
But if you read OBL comments she clearly states he was on the left and it sort of contradicts itself in itself ,to what you said you agreed with so was puzzled .
Had that goal not gone in at that stage with no spearhead up front we could and should have switched Hall to the right Sawyer to the left Timlin back to middle cos i really thought Hall an Blair where in the same place ......but this was before they had scored.
And PS(by all accounts wants him to unload the ball and get it in the box early not run with it or take it past or behind the defence (as Martin or Hall trys to do but that seems to be okay for them to do that) and how he is playing now is not with the same freedom as his youthfulness allowed but out on the wing (he grew up playing C/M and did rather well i remember)and its not natural for him.
He never has the chance to play his natural position C/M because all the C/mids Timlin ,Ferdinand ,Kalala,Grant now Dailly have all been so good week in week out never putting a foot wrong and been outstanding all season his only hope is out on the wing an then gets slaughtered for it .....still its only a game of football

To me that is over-simplistic. Whoever is in the middle, and was marking the player that eventually kept the ball on did the right thing by staying there. At corners each defender has a person they have to mark. However, the ball had left the melee of players in the centre, and Sawyer was the closest player to the ball. Anyone in the middle is perfectly entitled to assume Sawyer would close their player down or ensure the ball went off as opposed to run off in the other direction...

Ok, so I got my wings muddled....point still is valid though, Clohessy had no interaction with the person on the right wing, which, in this case was Sawyer. The fact I got them muddled up tells you how much I noticed Sawyer!
Your content of what you said about Sawyer still only applies to what was happening on the right not your moans about the left hand side so no where near as critical
So you never noticed the quick one twos Sawyer was involved in or cross field run he did slipping the ball inside to Hills who messed it up or the Ball he chased won and flicked on putting Benyon in on goal (who should have done better in last minute of
first half)perhaps you were getting your TEA:winking: And you never noticed Sawyer wanting the ball off Clohessy and not getting it and i cant remember him giving the ball away once .
So the midfield shape was wrong who's fault was that ?
Hall and Blair taking up same positions .
PS could have made a change early and before the goal without subs by bringing Hall to the right Sawyer to the left and Timlin in the middle it would have given Blair more scope .
Allowing Sawyer to cut in using his favoured right foot like Hall cuts in using his favoured left foot ,then make a change if that didnt work.
Where i was sitting every one was moaning saying " Why is PS bringing off Sawyer"
Which was my thoughts as well and as i have said before Timlin, Kalala,Ferdinand,Grant,an now Dailly have all done so well in C/Mid never ever having bad games in a row never shooting wide never missing a tackle never ever giving a stray or sideway/backwards pass.
Sawyer is not a winger never has been but with all the players i have mentioned doing so well in that position he cant get a chance there.He has been C/Mid all his playing life so playing out of position now in every game he plays .
In your opinion you think Sawyer is not good enough yet you always make time an excuses for other players poor (by your opinion)performances you don't like him i'm sure and its not because your contrary

Back