• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Aldershot Town 1

Apart from the Blair bashing spot on .A unfit Vine for 30 mins would have been better

Why is it Blair bashing? He didn't have a good game last night. It doesn't make it Blair bashing to say it. He won at best two headers, held onto the ball too long and lost it, and was easily bullied by the Aldershot players. He created little, and had two shots off target, sure he wasn't the worst player last night, but he didn't play well either.

Also, if that had been Gilbert playing those balls forward last night instead of Hills, he would have been crucified on here. Hills distribution was just as bad as Gilberts. The only thing he did better was travel with the ball, and get the odd cross in. His positioning and distribution last night was no different to Gilbert's - hopefully just an off game. As an aside, does anyone else think he looks like he's turning into one of the Jedward brothers?

Why is it Blair bashing? He didn't have a good game last night. It doesn't make it Blair bashing to say it. He won at best two headers, held onto the ball too long and lost it, and was easily bullied by the Aldershot players. He created little, and had two shots off target, sure he wasn't the worst player last night, but he didn't play well either.

Also, if that had been Gilbert playing those balls forward last night instead of Hills, he would have been crucified on here. Hills distribution was just as bad as Gilberts. The only thing he did better was travel with the ball, and get the odd cross in. His positioning and distribution last night was no different to Gilbert's - hopefully just an off game. As an aside, does anyone else think he looks like he's turning into one of the Jedward brothers?

Hmm, I don't actually remember Blair losing the ball at all last night but there you go!

Can we add Hills to the list of pointless signings? Prosser has done a perfectly good job this season at left back yet keeps getting dropped whilst others who are playing poorly- Barker and Timlin for example- keep their place. Martin also has looked good but finds himself on the bench again and again. The constant tinkering in personnel and more importantly formation is having a negative impact at home. We are also crying out for some pace up front.

Hmm, I don't actually remember Blair losing the ball at all last night but there you go!

A few times he received the ball, he held onto the ball when a pass was on, he continued to hold onto it until eventually he was muscled off the ball - this happened a few times. In fairness the first occasion he didn't really have many options.

In the second half his passes started to go awry as well, mostly around the box - he wasn't the worst culprit for giving the ball away (Hills or Timlin probably take this crown), but this and fatigue were probably the reason's he was brought off.

A few times he received the ball, he held onto the ball when a pass was on, he continued to hold onto it until eventually he was muscled off the ball - this happened a few times. In fairness the first occasion he didn't really have many options.

In the second half his passes started to go awry as well, mostly around the box - he wasn't the worst culprit for giving the ball away (Hills or Timlin probably take this crown), but this and fatigue were probably the reason's he was brought off.

Yep, and we needed to bring on a goal scorer. I hope PS does as promised and brings in a few new faces. We have the biggest squad in the history of the game already though! But who cares another 7 signings wont hurt !

:stunned:

Amazes me how people can support a striker who has scored 1 goal all season in more appearances than Benyon. I know it is all about opinions, but I remember Blair losing the ball on more than 1 occasion and also passing to the opposition more than once. Agree with the comment about Gilbert who would have been crucified if he had made the same passes as some of the others. Here is the place to have a go about players not at matches. At least that did not happen last night.

We desperately need a consistent goal scorer but which side doesn't.

We have used almost 30 players this year a luxury that past managers would love to have had, so at least the Board and Chairman are fully supporting the Manager in his quest for promotion.

All we can do now is hang on in there and be behind the team at ALL matches. I am sure that none of our competitiors will win every game between now and the end of the season, so we must be ready to take advantage of their slips.

UTB

All in all, a thoroughly frustrating and disheartening performance and result, not least because it was a true Jekyll and Hyde performance which, in 90 minutes, portrayed the very essence of this team at the moment; a complete lack of consistency coupled with incompetence that is costing us dearly.

During the first half, I actually thought we played some fairly scintillating stuff. As soon as key players like Hall, Clohessy and Hills got into the game, we knocked it around very well indeed. One particular passage of play early on in the first half was brilliant, a succession of high-tempo, one-touch passes forced an opening for Benyon down the right channel, who flashed a cross right into the danger area. Blair didn’t read it (a staple of the lack of match sharpness and lack of familiarity with Benyon), but the cross was so good it only needed contact for it to give us the lead.

I thought the formation, even just in the first half, caused Aldershot a few problems. Hall relished his role in the middle because Aldershot struggled to pick his movement. This showed in particular when Hall drifted wide and Benyon dropped into his space. On another night (and with another forward on the pitch, particularly someone like Dickinson, whose movement off the ball is generally very good), it would’ve been enough to carve open more goalscoring opportunities. Blair was off the pace and patently not up with the play, and this caused a number of these chances to break down.

He wasn’t the only one at fault for this, though. Sawyer just didn’t seem to understand where he was supposed to be all evening. Sturrock has said in the past that half of Sawyer’s trouble is what you tell him goes in one ear and out the other, and his performance last night certainly appeared to be indicative of that problem. Every now and again he’d saunter into a dangerous area, but his crossing barely beat the first man. The problem with the diamond that Sturrock deployed is that the two central midfielders, in our case Timlin and Sawyer, need to understand when to drift wide and when to stay in the middle. Timlin looked to comprehend that, perhaps helped by Hills’ decent runs in the first half, but Sawyer looked positively lost.

Our right-hand side is usually our strongest and one of our best offensive assets, but Clohessy was fairly poor last night going forward. Sawyer did get in his way a few times, but when he was released down the channel he was another one who couldn’t beat the first man with a cross and this handicapped us all night. The players in and around the box weren’t being given the service they required from the channels, and our play deteriorated as a result.

A positive about Clohessy, however, was that I thought he showed some touches of refinement to his game in comparison to earlier on in the season. I’m sure I’ve highlighted this before, but at the start of the season he was struggling to identify the flight of the ball in the air and tended to get sucked in under it, meaning he’d often allow the ball to drop or misplace the header. This looked to be improved last night, which is pleasing to see.

Whilst on the subject of ball flight, I’ve no idea what happened to Hills during the interval because he completely changed the flight and direction of his passes for the second half. During the first, he was delaying his delivery until he beat the full-back, and this resulted in a number of drilled crosses, one in which drew a smart stop from the ‘keeper. After the break, he’d decided to float them in towards the back post, obviously hoping that someone would be around to knock it back across the face. This could’ve been a result of Martin’s introduction (Martin hugs the line more than most wingers, which means that his full-back can’t really overlap, so doesn’t get into the position to drill a cross in), or it was a tactical instruction. If it’s the latter, then I don’t understand that at all.

The last 30 minutes of Hills’ distribution was Gilbert-esque. Aimless punts into the area that were hopeful at best, hopeless at worst. This might be the very reason that Sturrock is reluctant to deploy both Martin and Hall, because it chokes the delivery of our full-backs which has been a reliable weapon for us this season.

Dailly’s involvement was, like other players, hugely reliant on the system we deployed. During the first half he had a clear and concise role at the base of the diamond. His duty was to protect the back four and intercept, before laying off a simple pass. He pulled this off with aplomb, proving that experience and nous are just as effective as pace and stamina in certain roles. During the second half, and particularly as we switched to a more regimented and flat 4-4-2, he struggled to identify a role for himself and impose it on the opposition. He went missing during this period, and only really came back into the game once Barker had been withdrawn.

In his absence, we needed someone else to take the mantle and Timlin certainly tried to do so. During the last 30 minutes he covered more ground than anyone else on the pitch, but a lack of movement (particularly from our front two, and later on three) meant that Aldershot could merely cover the men and force Timlin to pass into space or keep hold of the ball. This forced Timlin to wait for Hall’s movement inside (to either give him the ball or cross it out to Clohessy on the overlap), and that became hugely predictable.

The lack of movement in the second half from our forwards irritated me, but may have been the result of two games in three days and, in Benyon’s case, a newborn to care for. During the first half Benyon impressed me massively. He has this canny knack of pulling his defender out of position, forcing them to get sucked under the flight of the ball so that they’re already in a poor position to make the clearance. This allows him to win more in the air than he should, and we’ve seen that time and time again from him so far this season. His movement into the channels is also very effective, and it’s no wonder than we’ve looked considerably more potent with him and Harris up top than we have done in recent weeks (months?).

As much as Benyon has become vital to us, Barker, I’m afraid, looks to be on his way out. He looks a good yard or two off the pace at the moment and certainly looks like he could do with losing a few pounds. His movement looks restricted and he’s misplacing his headers, another symptom of being out of time and out of sync. I understand that he’s the captain and is seemingly a well-liked member of the squad, but Luke Prosser has performed admirably recently and deserves a chance in his natural position, especially as Barker continually delivers below-par performances. He’s the weak point in our armour, and he’s the one who’s being highlighted by opposition forwards.

One last note, I thought Aldershot gave a textbook away performance. Holdsworth’s got them well organised and regimented away from home, playing a 4-1-4-1 system that provides adequate cover through the middle. The full-backs provide support, and they look to capitalise on one or two chances. It doesn’t make for a good viewing at all (I don’t think Hylton got much of a touch all evening aside from his goal), but it’s hugely productive. Some of their antics were poor, particularly Hylton grabbing Belford when he shaped up for a kick (should’ve received a second yellow for unsportsmanlike conduct), but you can see how they pick up results.

I defy anyone to come on and defend Blair Sturrock after that. We have a striker crisis, part of the answer seems to be Sampson and now Blair Sturrock.:omg:
Crawley have a striker crisis, and their answer is Gary Alexander and Leon Clarke. Now watch what Two goal scorers can do for a team, in relation to our holds the ball up well strikers.
I predict Crawley will now have a great run in and wave us goodbye as they pass us by. The secret is getting the striker situation right. That pr*tt at Crawley has just done it, whilst our manager plays his unfit son and extends the loan of a striker that might beat Torres's baron spell record as they are both absolutely no threat. Unbelievable, at this most crucial stage.

Looks like quite a few people have defied you!

Not an excuse for such a poor performance but have to admit that the Referee did not have a very good game at all. Problem with lining these days is that they ball watch and by the time the ball arrives forward attackers are in a different position than when the ball was released.

No they don't. Spectators generally ball watch or are still working on the rules as they were 10 years ago.

I reckon linos get it right 90% of the time.

It's pretty incredible how certain posters only appear after defeats isn't it? Get back under your rock and stay there.

Thought we came out from the off and attacked. Watching in the North Bank you can see how much of a wide game we try to play. Nice intricate passing with some half chances here and there throughout the 90 minutes but no real chances. Second half wasn't as good and we just kept trying to force it too much.

May be an exaggeration but I thought when Martin came on he was brilliant looks like Ryan Giggs the way he travels with the ball. Blair looked quality. Hills wasn't great but feel so much more comfortable with him there. Timlin was off. He was our main man earlier on in the season, hope he can find his form again.

Thought we could have had a penalty at the end of the first half.

Aldershot's only chance they scored from which summed it up for me. But they dug in well.

I thought we tried to play positive. Why can't we win at home? I just hope we can scrape promotion we are still in a good position but we are just making it difficult for ourselves now, AS ALWAYS!

:sad:

Onion Bag - I think an 'Onion Bag Dave' texted into BBC Essex immediately after the match lambasting Blair. Another imposter?

Just a thought. If our home form and away form were reversed, would we all be much happier, and crowds much bigger, despite having the same number of points.

After all, 12 wins in 19 games with 39 goals would be pretty good home form?

Onion Bag - I think an 'Onion Bag Dave' texted into BBC Essex immediately after the match lambasting Blair. Another imposter?

Yerp another imposter posing as me using words like nepotism and such. I'd never use that word! NEVERRRRRR I tells yah.

Blair was quality touch of class don't know why people can't see it. I hope he starts on Sat!

Yep, and we needed to bring on a goal scorer. I hope PS does as promised and brings in a few new faces. We have the biggest squad in the history of the game already though! But who cares another 7 signings wont hurt !

:stunned:

Per the other thread we have 20 first team players (which excludes players out injured for rest of season). 21 if Mohsni comes back.

If we took out the signings in January we would have 14 players.

We have a squad of 35 which is too big, but nearly half are either out on loan,injured, development players or fring players like Crawford who will never get near the team.

One of the most clueless diaplays I have ever seen in my time following the Blues.

Honest ratings:

Belford - 3 - Not for the goal, but in a tight game the goalkeeper has a responsibility to distribute well, and his was brainless. Hoofing huge balls to Benyon - awful! Kicking it out a few times, he had a nightmare.

Clohesey - 3 - For me this guy is so overated it's crazy. You will struggle to find full backs who cross worse than he does. Did you notice how Aldershot just left him on his own in acres of space?? It's because he needs 6/7 touches before he can deliver a cloated ball to the keeper, not worth marking him.

Philips - 5 - Was reasonable solid, and tried ot play the ball on the floor when he could.

Barker - 2 - Our captain was woeful again.

Hills - 2 - **** performance to go with his **** haircut.

Sawyer - 1 - Wow, what more is there to say.

Dailey - 2 - Poor.

Hall - 7 - The only one we had who was trying to win a game, but he had to do it all alone, and couldn't last night.

Timlin - 1 - Didn't pass forwards to a team mate all night. Is a different player to the one we had on loan.

Sturrock - 4 - Did what you expect him to do, held it up where he could and passed to team mates. Was never going to score.

Benyon - 3 - Was he playing?

Sturrock Snr. - 1 - Nightmare team selection, waited to go behind before making changes.

Subs - can't be bothered

No they don't. Spectators generally ball watch or are still working on the rules as they were 10 years ago.

I reckon linos get it right 90% of the time.

Agree often spectators ball watch but linos should not. However, watch the lino and see where his eyes are. From a past Football Leaqgue Ref/Lino Assessor (not me), he admits the biggest issue he has is the linos not watching the player but following the ball. This often results in poor positioning and sometimes inaccurate decisions. Also misses afters that happen with the ball at the otehr end of the pitch. Not an easy job but that is the difference between Football League and Premiership.

My view of last night is that both Ref and lino West side had a bad day at the office. However, Southend were on par and they too at a bad day at the office. Officials did not, however, change the result by their performance.

Incidentally as I am constantly told, there are no rules in Football just Laws!!

UTB

According to the stats on the official site we had 1 shot on goal and 3 corners the entire game - doesn't look like the form of a team challenging for promotion against a mid table team.

We also had 62% possession. (70% at the end of the first half.) It is always easy to find stats to back up your argument.

A winning formula at home would also include attempting to start with the strikers you started with in the last game away from home and won.

As PS said, he has done that 3 times before last night and lost all three. He tried something different last night, and that didn't work either.

I thought the reaction to Blair's inclusion last night and on here was, and is, way off. He played because Harris was deemed not to be able to play another game so soon, I'm sure in an ideal world, PS would have started the same duo up top that seemed to work so well last match. It was done to protect Harris, and to allow him to come on as a sub. Blair did the best he could under the circumstance....and the circumstances included being grappled with and fouled almost constantly whenever the ball was aimed over the top. The ref gave him absolutely nothing and even gave a foul against him at one point when all of us in the West could see the guy had his arms all over him! Blair also trapped the ball well and made some decent passes AND had two shots on goal in the first half....which is more than anyone else did.

For me the failure last night was the awful diamond system that had, for some unknown reason, been implemented with Hall inexplicably in the middle and Timlin wide on the right. Hall is not a "play through the middle" player...he's a winger! Clohessy struggled without Hall in front of him, he had no interaction with Timlin at all and we suffered as a result of the lack of threat down the wing. Sawyer did next to nothing down the left and Martin looked much more threatening when he came on. Had Hills had Martin in front from the off I think they would have worked well together.

Officials - one word, inept.

I can't remember ever agreeing with you on anything. But I actually agree with all of this. The diamond worked to a certain extent because we had so much of the ball and were completely in control. What we lacked was the final ball, and I got the impression a couple of times that the players weren't 100% sure what to do. One time in the first half Benyon got in a cross but there was no-one there. Not even Hall had made a run into the box which I would have expected.

If we had played a diamond more regularly then fair enough, but IMO introducing a new system was an error.

Personally I thought we were by far the better team. What we lacked was any kind of cutting edge. Blair did well to hold the ball up and play others in, but he never really looks like scoring. Timlin had a poor game by his standards, and I personally blame Sawyer for their goal. He seemed to assume that the ball was going off for a goal kick and start making his way up to the half way line. Their player didn't give it up, and consequently had plenty of time to measure his cross.

Clohessy didn't take a man on all night. He just crossed from whereever he received the ball. That was probably a consequence of the diamond formation: he didn't have anyone wide helping him out, and neither did Hills on the other side.

I thought the reaction to Blair's inclusion last night and on here was, and is, way off. He played because Harris was deemed not to be able to play another game so soon

Oh dear, only about another 30 "2 games in 4 days" between now and the end of his contract !

That post is the biggest load of garbage ever posted , go and crawl back under a rock mate . U disgust me .

Back