• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Norwich City 0

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United held Premier League new boys Norwich City to a 0-0 draw in an uneventful friendly at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

So we have played two matches- against Championship and Premiership opposition and lost neither. Also conceded just 1 goal in the 180 minutes and created some decent chances and gave as good as we got on both occasions.

We also have a stable set up, it appears a 4-4-2 formation, all signings already made and well before season starts.

A big man (Corr, Dickinson, Mohnsi- we have choice!!) to play alonside Bomber (who I am convinced will get 25 goals in a full L2 season).

If need be Asante (crawford) could replace Harris if injured but in fact in a 4-4-2 I see any two from Corr, Dickinson, Mohnsi also doing the job.

Do feel the use of Mohsni in these games and the purchases indicate the preferred formation will be 4-4-2 with the ability to switch if need.

happy with progress

Indeed kentblues, sounded like a boring affair going by the tweets, we didnt score, but didnt concede. an interesting pre-season, Now Lets get this season going!

Assuming all the forwards are fit, where does Mohsni play?

No goals conceded, major bonus.

I thought it was also interesting that Asante was on the bench tonight rather than Crawford - assume Harry might be shipped out on loan or even permanently. Did alright at Dover last year so maybe that's his level

Im no football expert but I found it quite exciting, despite being goaless. Thought the team played really well (one or two mistakes) and to get a draw against both Championship and Premiership opposition is a fantastic result.

We seem to have come a long way, and I am really enthusiastic about the new season!

Assuming all the forwards are fit, where does Mohsni play?

No goals conceded, major bonus.

Against Hereford at least with Corr definitely out I suspect it will be Harris and Mohsni (with dickinson on the bench). As soon as Dickinson full fit he goes alongside Bomber and Mohnsni to the back. When Corr fit full competition.

I couldn't concentrate on the game because I had 2 guys sitting directly behind me who were intent on slagging Prosser off the whole 90 mins....he even breathed wrongly I think.

About 5 mins from the end he slipped but still managed to sweep the ball away with an outstretched leg.

I think he played well tonight. He is very vocal, very encouraging of other players. He was playing against permiership players, nobody was going to look brilliant.

First time I have seen a Sturrock team and was impressed. Liked the look of Johnson and Kalala. Harris had a shot in the first half which I thought showed his quality.

A friend from Norwich came down and joined me in the west. He was happy with the display of his team. There were poor, apart from Wes Hoolahan. He also found it amusing that it took our boys so long to start booing the ex col u players!

We played some good football in the first half,pegged back somewhat in the second but it looks very promising at the moment. Hard to fault anyone tonight long may it last.

I couldn't concentrate on the game because I had 2 guys sitting directly behind me who were intent on slagging Prosser off the whole 90 mins....he even breathed wrongly I think.

About 5 mins from the end he slipped but still managed to sweep the ball away with an outstretched leg.

I think he played well tonight. He is very vocal, very encouraging of other players. He was playing against permiership players, nobody was going to look brilliant.

Prosser has looked solid enough all pre season and had a good game tonight. It seems the left back spot is up for grabs.

Decent fayre all things considered. Pleased with a clean sheet.

Confirmed my feeling that in no way is mohsni a forward. Yea he will 'do a job' in an emergency but whoever said he would be 'guaranteed 20 goals' is way wide of the mark - bit like mohsnis shot clen through at the end.

The other chances he had came from set plays which he would get playing at the back anyway.

Apart from that, impressed with Harris - such a proper pro. Kalala was solid and as i say, clean sheet is good reward for the back 4 and morris who was very assured.

Finally, thought JJ was poor. Looked lighning against dartford, but didnt get much chance going forward tonight nor did he show much willingness to help prosser at the back, leaving he woefully exposed at times. One to watch...

Ooops that may have been me . I slagged him off before the game from what i saw last season and was joking about how he has no muscle. And you are right though he did do well today. maybe from now on i will be quiet.. But maybe it wasn't me.

Thought Phillip is doing well, and its good to see him have another 90 minute at least on the pitch! A fully fit Phillip is good for us.

Mohsni isnt the answer to our striking troubles. That was clear today. He will win headers and get on the end of stuff, but Harris was naturally looking to lay off stuff to his strike partner Mohsni who had no idea what we was doing... I thought we looked clueless up top without a natural partner for Harris, and so we must look to Mohsni only in emergencies..

Other than that I came away today not sure what to make of the run-out. We looked balanced in the first half but with the substitutes in the second we looked lacking (Hall in the middle, Diaye out right). Norwich were very lacklustre and probably could have upped a gear when they wanted, and while we were fairly solid I have to say we were also very unspectacular.. we will need to be much more creative to try and tear this division apart - we opted to loft long diagonal balls to the back stick on far too many occasions.

Defence looked good though. Barker was class - Prosser made some brilliant blocks, and the keeper looked very solid. Looking forward to seeing how we start against Hereford.

Mohsni isnt the answer to our striking troubles. That was clear today. He will win headers and get on the end of stuff, but Harris was naturally looking to lay off stuff to his strike partner Mohsni who had no idea what we was doing... I thought we looked clueless up top without a natural partner for Harris, and so we must look to Mohsni only in emergencies..Other than that I came away today not sure what to make of the run-out. We looked balanced in the first half but with the substitutes in the second we looked lacking (Hall in the middle, Diaye out right). Norwich were very lacklustre and probably could have upped a gear when they wanted, and while we were fairly solid I have to say we were also very unspectacular.. we will need to be much more creative to try and tear this division apart - we opted to loft long diagonal balls to the back stick on far too many occasions.Defence looked good though. Barker was class - Prosser made some brilliant blocks, and the keeper looked very solid. Looking forward to seeing how we start against Hereford.
Yea spot on. Was going to mention that although we have 29 players, we actually struggled big time today. Second half was lots of round pegs in square holes - more than we should. Think at the whistle, we only had 6 players in what you would deem their natural positions. Hopefully we can shift some of the faces that dont seem to fit and hopefully get a wide man in perhaps on loan in august.

I agree that after tonights game, its clear that Mohsni isn't a striker.It gives sturrock abit of a problem now because we need somebody up top who knows what they're doing to play alongside Harris which clearly Mohsni doesnt. He's excellent at winning headers and chasing the defenders down but his shooting (unless its put on a plate 6 yards out) is woefull.In an ideal world, when everbody is fit I think 4-4-2 is the way to go. Taking all of the above into account, i think we should start next saturday 4-3-3 with Hall and Johnson supporting Harris with Kalala, Grant and i'd go with Sawyer in the middle.

Blimey - some people are hard to please.

Moshni is not a forward but this was about playing in a shape and a discipline.

Norwich are a Premier League Team yet I thought we equalled them all over the park and were by far the better Team first half.

Wouldn't be the least surprised to see Moshni on the bench if and when Corr or Dickinson are fit as I thought Barker and Philips looked good - in fact I thought Phillips was the better of the pair.

I am feeling very confident about this forthcoming season as Luggy has a Team playing to a style in a disciplined manner and against League 2 opposition I expect it to work well - there were lots of early crosses and the ball retention first half was excellent.

Special mention for Prosser, who despite not being a natural left back, played really well - not sure about his attacking capabilities though, but then I'm not sure about Gilberts either.

Good news is that with the exception of Morris and Harris there will be competion for places - something we havn't seen in years.

Can't wait for the Hereford match now!!

Back