• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Well done to the lads, did all they could today.

Reports and ratings here.

Match report: Southend United 1, Bury 0

SOUTHEND United fell short in their push for the League One play-offs – despite ending the season with a 1-0 win against Bury.

More...

Phil asked for a partisan crowd to cheer the team on, he got it and then some. Phil asked the team not to under- achieve in front of a big crowd, he got that and a bit more as well. The crowd and the team were magnificent today, some of the best bonding I have seen all season. Stuff the match reports and ratings. When McLaughlin scored and then when the crowd got wind of Bristol pulling back to 3-3 there was a wave of noise the like of which I haven't experienced at the Hall in a long time. Sadly, it wasn't to be and Millwall make the play-offs. In a weird way, I hope they go on to get promoted as it would at least save on police costs next season.

Well done Phil, Cocko, Ron and the team, you have provided me with football this season which at times has been a joy to watch. Hopefully we can hang onto the players we need to mount a strong promotion bid next season and if work on FF starts as well then it will be a very interesting summer.

Just got home from match. Great season Blues.....roll on the next one, my 60th. COYBB

For five minutes the dream was still alive, what a massive noise when it went to 3-3 in the other game, as big a roar as I have ever heard at Roots Hall. At the end of the day I would look back on this season as an enjoyable one, especially after the awful start. With the encouraging news on Fossets Farm things are looking reasonably optimistic for the club.

Don't play it down.......It was actually ELEVEN minutes of 'Glory'....Bristol equalised in the 74th minute and Millwall scored their winner in the 85th minute.

Good game with a brilliant crowd....gutted Wall scored late!

To finish 7th is damn decent...well done Phil and his boys.

Great atmosphere today, absolutely superb toward the end, just a shame Brizzle couldn't do us a favour!

If we can apply ourselves from 'game one' next season we should be pushing for the autos, well done to all of the players, staff, and backroom, but most importantly well done to our fantastic supporters ! Best in the land !!

Despite not reaching the playoffs the day ended on a high note as I met a few of my heros from BITD; Derek Spence, Ron Pountney and Keith Mercer, big thanks to Andy (Suffolk Shrimper) for that! :thumbsup:

In addition spoke briefly to Timlin, Coker and Thomo on the way out. Still proud to be a shrimper! roll on next season!!

UTBs

Although it didn't end well, the players did what had to be done today.

Enjoyed the drama (even though it didn't go our way), on my 21st birthday today! Was hoping to celebrate it with getting into the play offs and gutting to have Millwall score very late on but never the less proud of the players today!

Crowd were excellent today, and 7th place is much more than I expected than at the start of the season.

Although it didn't end well, the players did what had to be done today.

Enjoyed the drama (even though it didn't go our way), on my 21st birthday today! Was hoping to celebrate it with getting into the play offs and gutting to have Millwall score very late on but never the less proud of the players today!

Crowd were excellent today, and 7th place is much more than I expected than at the start of the season.

Mate...Happy Birthday!
Great to see a post from a young supporter with the passion i had back in...err 1983/84 when I was 21.
Good for you. If you have half the fun, excitement, drama, disappointment and bonding with other Shrimpers that I have enjoyed? You are in for a fantastic ride.
Have a great night!!

That was as comfortable a 1-0 as I've seen all season. The only time they looked like scoring was from Ferdinand heading back to Walton.

Lenny and fortune were excellent. Atkinson also played well.

O'Neill, maybe a bit unfair as he's not played for so long, but distribution was shocking and I think to push on we need better quality.

Gutted, but we lost the playoffs before today. The wheels started to come off about 6 weeks back

Absolutely gutted. Football can be so cruel....

I thought O'Neill did ok, and it seemed to give Demetriou cover so, from that aspect, it worked. Fortuné, Lenny and Thompson our best players.

Loved seeing the players' families at the end, Theo's little girl was quite at home in the middle of the pitch and Mooney's two stole the show again. Bless them.

Hope they can all get nicely ****ed tonight at the the Gala Dinner, then get off on holidays for a good break before next season. This will be the big one, the one where we need to set our stall out early.

Although we're all disappointed to have missed out, what a great season we've had - a huge improvement from last year, to take it to the last game of the season was a great achievement. We were in Block X of the West Stand and the atmosphere was top notch from start to finish, and the 10 or so minutes when it looked like we might get in the playoffs will live long in the memory. A 100% effort from all the players today, they really did us proud and were unlucky not to add another goal or two, Bury never looked to be in it really. We stuck around for the end of season lap of honour, a richly deserved one for the team and a dramatic and positive way to end for me, in what will be my last Southend game for a very, very longtime :'(. #UTB

PS. Did they do the POTY before the game? I didn't hear it, who won?

"Gutted, but we lost the playoffs before today. The wheels started to come off about 6 weeks back."

I disagree. It took a dozen games at season start to get the wheels on in the first place.

Back