• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Didn't go as I'm away but my mate just rang and said it was a very poor game. We didn't deserve the win and again just sat back and same old got punished.

Wasn't on a plate. I was behind the ball and it wasn't easy.

Fair enough.

Wordy misses a penalty though which I guess could be described as being on a plate. I wish Adam B would take the pens, or Lenny.....

Match report: Southend United 1, Peterborough United 1

MARCUS Maddison’s injury time equaliser handed Peterborough United a 1-1 draw at Southend United this afternoon.

More...

Didn't go as I'm away but my mate just rang and said it was a very poor game. We didn't deserve the win and again just sat back and same old got punished.

First half was dull but we were the better team in the second half. We didn't really sit back after our goal, Cox had his shot that he probably should have controlled first and McGlashan should have done better with his chance, was just a poor bit of defending for the goal, aside from that Peterborough didn't threaten at all that half. Annoyed we didn't get the 3 points but can't complain about the performance, things look a lot more positive than they did a few weeks ago. Quite liked Fortune, he's not going to get many goals for us but he did well knocking the ball down to our more skillful players, something we've been desperately missing.

I know Fortune wasn't on the pitch for too long but I think he will be a good signing. Did all the rights things, won headers, played McGlashan in with a lovely ball and looked years younger than 35.

First half was dull but we were the better team in the second half. We didn't really sit back after our goal, Cox had his shot that he probably should have controlled first and McGlashan should have done better with his chance, was just a poor bit of defending for the goal, aside from that Peterborough didn't threaten at all that half. Annoyed we didn't get the 3 points but can't complain about the performance, things look a lot more positive than they did a few weeks ago. Quite liked Fortune, he's not going to get many goals for us but he did well knocking the ball down to our more skillful players, something we've been desperately missing.

What we didn't do all game was close the likes of Taylor down early enough. We rode our luck a lot before Maddison scored. We did look deeper after we scored but we seemed to play fairly deep all game. I guess maybe we were worried about Taylor's pace and playing a higher back four would have meant giving Taylor acres to run into

Feels like 2 points lost rather than 1 gained but good to see some positive football, and there was no lack of effort today I thought.

The commentator is wrong I'm afraid, it was behind him at pace and there wasn't a lot he could do
I know a lot of people won't agree with me but I stopped listening to the BBC Essex radio commentary a long time ago. Not a patch on other local and national radio stations that I have listened to imo.

I might have to eat humble pie on Fortune. I thought he did well, won a lot in the air, laid a chance on a plate for McGlashan which should have been buried and he looked pretty mobile for a 35 year old.

Everything good they were doing was going through their number 10 and we let him pull the strings all game. No one put a foot in on him to take him out the game and eventually he has a hand in the goal.

It's always gutting to concede late and it feels like a defeat but I think a draw was a fair result.

That was a dreadful penalty, put your foot through the ball for god sake and Cox should have swallowed that chance, we do that and the game is out of sight by injury time

You won't see me say this often but hats off to Brown today on his subs, Cox and Fortune changed the game

Last edited:
Effort was 100% again today which is nice to see. Probably just about deserved to be ahead and Cox/McGlashan had chances to make it 2. But Leonard's ball to Cox was far too hard and behind Cox for it to be a 'sitter' and the Boro defender got a great block in on Jermaine after good work from Fortune.

Peterborough had some quality players, Taylor was a threat all game, Maddison found a opportunity to shoot and it's unfortunately gone into the bottom corner late on. All in all though I think we played fairly well, just gutted we conceded so late. :sad:

Edit: Forgot to say that bringing on Cox and Fortune had a great impact! Fortune has always been mobile and battles well (despite what some people may have believed before seeing him play for us) and Cox set up the goal.

Didnt rate that performance at all if im honest, really seemed to lack intensity and didnt press them. Their 10 taylor ran the game, overall I know its a point but we must get that clean sheet mentality in the squad !!! I wont mention the cox chance

I had a feeling that fortune would look ok. Can't wait for us to have timlin and Ranger in the side and then we will finish comfortably mid table

Why do we just drop deeper and deeper as the game goes on. Should have bagged all 3 points today

Flat first half, we did lack speed and intensity going forward, however, we also when we had the ball on the floor look at doing the right things, I've getting Coker and McGlashan on the ball as much as possible on the wings. Lenny for me again worked tirelessly and got his foot in a lot and that run that led to the Cox chance was immense . As others have said, I'm not sure the Cox chance was as easy as saying his missed an open goal, the ball was fast and slightly behind him.

However, as some else as alluded to, Brown got the subs spot on, both the ones he made, and the time he did them.

I'm actually glad are people thinking its 2 points dropped, that does show signs of a slightly different mentality than one of defeat, ie a pessimistic response would be a point gained.

I think the draw was a fair result and whilst it wasn't as exciting as the previous 2 home games, I think it showed that after the injuries our squad is showing a little more strength. I was impressed with Inniss and Ferdinand today, the former is turning into the monster we've missed, both at the back and also in attacking set piece sitiuations.

I would say this week would represent a mid table finish, not a lot of consistency, bit still we seem stronger than we did earlier. It's also nice for me to see a settled team and formation, people may not like this particular formation, but it's important that players get used to it.

Overall, my MOM would probably be Lenny, closely followed by Inniss.

Marc F looked good when he came on and Cox did incredibly well for the goal.

Back