• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1, Bristol Rovers 1

Evening Echo

The News
MATT Harrold came back to haunt Southend United at Roots Hall this afternoon as he secured a share of the spoils for Bristol Rovers.

More...

We could tied the ****ers up with bondage gear, gagged them with apples, tickled them with feather dusters and smashed them with whips and chains and we wouldn't have been as dominant.....

Definitely 2 points dropped more than 1 won....we were so dominant yet failed to take our chances...Grant missed a sitter and I lost count of the number of goal scoring opportunities we had. I guess we had to drop points sooner or later, but IMO it should not have been today.

Disappointing result, we could and should have scored a couple of more if it wasn't for a fantastic bit of keping and messing up some fantastic opportunities.

Daniels- 7 - Nothing he could do about the goal, very soft and should have been dealt with better by the defence. Kicking was also a bit better...

Clohessey - 7.5 - Don't think he really gets enough credit, an excellent game always supports the wingers well and put in a couple of good crosses. Was solid defensively as well.
Barker - 6.5 - not bad
Phillips - 7 - Good game
Gilbert - 6.5 - Again not bad, but he never really has convinced me and I pick him out as the weaklink in our starting 11.

Timlin - 6 - Poor game by his high standards. Gave the ball away often but to be fair often won it back excellently.
Ferdinand - 8 - MOTM pick of the midfield and the pitch, slowed the play down excellently with some lovely turns, got more involved than usual.
Hall - 7.5 - A big improvement on Tuesday where I thought he was average, again put in some dangerous crosses and was desperately unlucky at the end after unleashing a fantastic effort. Brilliant save from the goalkeeper to be fair to him.
Mohsni - 6 - Gave the ball away far too much but he is entertaining to watch. Had a good opportunity to score but got the ball stuck under his feet. Think the booking was a bit harsh.

Dickinson - 8 - Another great game from him, two on the trot. Held the ball up well and an excellent bit of play to set Harris up for the goal.
Harris - 6.5 - OK, took the goal well but wasn't fantastic.

Disappointing result, we could and should have scored a couple of more if it wasn't for a fantastic bit of keping and messing up some fantastic opportunities.

Daniels- 7 - Nothing he could do about the goal, very soft and should have been dealt with better by the defence. Kicking was also a bit better...

Clohessey - 7.5 - Don't think he really gets enough credit, an excellent game always supports the wingers well and put in a couple of good crosses. Was solid defensively as well.
Barker - 6.5 - not bad
Phillips - 6 - A rare disappointing game from him, had a couple of shaky moments.
Gilbert - 6.5 - Again not bad, but he never really has convinced me and I pick him out as the weaklink in our starting 11.

Timlin - 6 - Poor game by his high standards. Gave the ball away often but to be fair often won it back excellently.
Ferdinand - 8 - MOTM pick of the midfield and the pitch, slowed the play down excellently with some lovely turns, got more involved than usual.
Hall - 7.5 - A big improvement on Tuesday where I thought he was average, again put in some dangerous crosses and was desperately unlucky at the end after unleashing a fantastic effort. Brilliant save from the goalkeeper to be fair to him.
Mohsni - 6 - Gave the ball away far too much but he is entertaining to watch. Had a good opportunity to score but got the ball stuck under his feet. Think the booking was a bit harsh.

Dickinson - 8 - Another great game from him, two on the trot. Held the ball up well and an excellent bit of play to set Harris up for the goal.
Harris - 6.5 - OK, took the goal well but wasn't fantastic.

Would also like to say I was impressed by the attendance and happy to see it continue to rise :thumbsup:

Lots of effort but not clinical enough, not sure what Harris has done to merit a start today, felt that Ferdinand and Timlin didn't have freedom to get forward without Kalala behind them.

When are people gonna realise that nothing good can ever come from booing ex players, it probably gave Harrold the extra bit of determination to get up and win that header!

How that **** Matt Harrold got away with goading the fans in the East after he scored is beyond me.

How that **** of a ref didn't see Neil Harris pulled to bits and shoved about all game is beyond me.

How on earth did we dominate so much yet not come away with a big win is beyond me.

Lots of effort but not clinical enough, not sure what Harris has done to merit a start today, felt that Ferdinand and Timlin didn't have freedom to get forward without Kalala behind them.

When are people gonna realise that nothing good can ever come from booing ex players, it probably gave Harrold the extra bit of determination to get up and win that header!

Shrimp Curry, you must watch a different game to me!!!

Harris who you say didn't merit a start scored our goal and was fairly decent today. Maybe his finishing ability as displayed in his goal justifies a place in the side.

Harrold being booed is no doubt aimed at him because of his ott celebrations and comments, not just because he is an ex-shrimper. I witnessed Scannell and Maher getting good receptions last weekend.

Very dissapointing to not get the three points, Bristol were abysmal. 10 for workrate from all of them, but i honestly dont see the point of hoofing it to dickinson (who I thought was excellent) with Harris as his option. He hasnt got enough pacee.

It really does grate more when you see all the teams around us picking up points today.:sad:

Shrimp Curry, you must watch a different game to me!!!

Harris who you say didn't merit a start scored our goal and was fairly decent today. Maybe his finishing ability as displayed in his goal justifies a place in the side.

Harrold being booed is no doubt aimed at him because of his ott celebrations and comments, not just because he is an ex-shrimper. I witnessed Scannell and Maher getting good receptions last weekend.

If you think Harris merits a start above Kalala then we definitely do watch different games.

I'm not saying Harrold deserves a standing ovation but giving him stick just gives that extra incentive to do well.

The beauty of football, It's all opinions.

I think a Kalala type player works better away from home when we play One up top and Hall in behind, at home when teams tend to sit back more, we are required to break them down - hence why another defensive midfielder is not warranted. IMHO of course.

With people moaning about booing opposition players, that makes me laugh, so many Melts on here who whinge at the slightest thing, "Oh no he swore", "Oh no he boo's a player", "Oh no someone stood up" get a grip, Football is Football, it's not all about applauding players and worshipping them. I pay my money to watch Southend around the country, If I want to boo a former player who I feel has been disrespectful then I will and without the worry of offending some over the top people on here.

I think a Kalala type player works better away from home when we play One up top and Hall in behind, at home when teams tend to sit back more, we are required to break them down - hence why another defensive midfielder is not warranted. IMHO of course.

With people moaning about booing opposition players, that makes me laugh, so many Melts on here who whinge at the slightest thing, "Oh no he swore", "Oh no he boo's a player", "Oh no someone stood up" get a grip, Football is Football, it's not all about applauding players and worshipping them. I pay my money to watch Southend around the country, If I want to boo a former player who I feel has been disrespectful then I will and without the worry of offending some over the top people on here.

Yet i think he was needed today, because Timlin was sitting too deep in his absence and thus wasn't as effective or creative.

Also, I think the booing Harrold thing is less about offending people, more about cutting off our noses to spite our faces. He had already shown that he ups his game against us when he's abused, it just gees him up and he plays that bit better and ends up shoving it down our necks. The intelligent football fan might have thought about that and remembered Shrewsbury last season before heckling him today!

You are entitled to do what you like, however in my opinion it has no benefit whatsoever to our team and if anything just spurs on the opposition. I'm fortunate that for me football is about going to watch a game rather than shout my mouth off and get wound up about things which are irrelevant in the context of the game.

Yet i think he was needed today, because Timlin was sitting too deep in his absence and thus wasn't as effective or creative.

Also, I think the booing Harrold thing is less about offending people, more about cutting off our noses to spite our faces. He had already shown that he ups his game against us when he's abused, it just gees him up and he plays that bit better and ends up shoving it down our necks. The intelligent football fan might have thought about that and remembered Shrewsbury last season before heckling him today!

And there's the flaw in your argument!!!:hilarious:

Back