• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
BILEL Mohsni’s first half header secured Southend United a winning start to their season with a 1-0 triumph over Hereford this afternoon.

More...

Southend United 1 Hereford United 0

Please put your reports and rating here following our joint table-topping victory today

Loved it, bit of a nervy last 15, but a win is a win. Hereford being allowed to get back in it was a worry. Would a better team have spanked us?
Some reason couldn't load 'shrimperzone,' during game, but at least got 'bluesplayer'!
Moshni sounded good value up front, despite the misses; maybe he is a striker? His disallowed goal sounded a beauty. What a pickup for us. His English sounds great. He said he'll play anywhere the gaffer puts him; sound good to me: whether up front or down back... what an asset! :happy:Back four sounds pretty good too!
Can't wait to read match ratings, as well as Tuesdays game and see who will line up! Up the Blues:loyalsupporter:

No time for in depth view of the game but here are my ratings:

Morris - 6

Clohessy - 6
Phillips - 7
Barker - 8
Prosser - 8

Hall - 7
Grant - 6
Kalala - 7
Johnson - 6

Harris - 7
Mohsni - 8

Subs:
Sawyer - 7
Dickinson - 6
Ferdinand - On for 2 minutes so no rating.

Good win on the opening day.

Sounded like Hereford were going to get back into the match at one point so good to get the win. Would still like to see Sawyer start above Kalala.

Good win on the opening day.

Sounded like Hereford were going to get back into the match
at one point so good to get the win. Would still like to see Sawyer start above Kalala though.

Not if Kalala plays like he did today, was very impressed with him.

Loved it, bit of a nervy last 15, but a win is a win. Hereford being allowed to get back in it was a worry. Would a better team have spanked us?
Some reason couldn't load 'shrimperzone,' during game, but at least got 'bluesplayer'!
Moshni sounded good value up front, despite the misses; maybe he is a striker? His disallowed goal sounded a beauty. What a pickup for us. His English sounds great. He said he'll play anywhere the gaffer puts him; sound good to me: whether up front or down back... what an asset! :happy:Back four sounds pretty good too!
Can't wait to read match ratings, as well as Tuesdays game and see who will line up! Up the Blues:loyalsupporter:

He did well first half but was pretty ineffective second half and whilst does really well in the air but really doesnt have a clue when the ball is at his feet.

He is a good option up front and will always give the opposition things to think about but he looks like a defender playing up front to me and sooner we can get either Corr or Dickinson fit the better.

Very interesting game, thought Hereford were really bad, and we lacked a clinical edge to make it a bigger victory, but that'll come.

Morris - 6 - can't rate him too high because I don't think he had a shot to save, but was tidy.

Clohessy - 6 - was okay, but not at his best today
Phillips - 8 - a high rating considering the last 20 minutes, but he was immense today - feels like a new signing
Barker - 8 - imperious
Prosser - 7 - really impressive, a lot better than Gilbert

Hall - 6 - not his best game, but still ok
Grant - 6 - wasn't really in the game
Kalala - 7 - very impressive, if Ferdinand goes, we have a replacement
Johnson - 6 - morons berating him after 10 minutes need to shut up. Nothing more annoying than hearing a grating mockney accent having a go at someone for no reason. He has potential

Harris - 7 - missed a couple of chances, but he got into them - will score 15 this season
Mohsni - 8 - what a player

Subs:
Sawyer - 7 - some beautiful passes when he came on, can't wait to see more of him this season
Dickinson - 6 - looked good, bit lazy though
Ferdinand - n/a

twe did not play well today by any stretch of the imagination, prosser MOM for me, why hall and jonson didnt swap wings in the first half i will never know.dickinson came on for two mins and linked up with harris better than mohsni did for 80 odd However a win is a win and im sure the good stuff will come.

Not if Kalala plays like he did today, was very impressed with him.

Kalala is totally different to Sawyer and is there to win the ball and break up play and I agree Id rather see him in the team than Sawyer to play that role.

However when Sawyer came on he showed some nice touches so would be nice to see him play, but I dont see how to fit him in, although if JJ plays like today he may be the one to give way....

Morris - 6 hardly anything to do

Clohessy - 6
Phillips - 7
Barker - 7
Prosser - 7 kept most of his passes/crosses in play !

Hall - 6 worked hard in defence; hardly beat a player until injury time trickery
Grant - 6 won his usual quota of free-kicks
Kalala - 6
Johnson - 5 very disappointing including 3 awful "crosses"

Harris - 7 good solid debut; made some good runs which went unnoticed. Might have done better with three chances.
Mohsni - 8 a very Mohsniesque performance. Won inumerable headers. Unsettled the defence.

Subs:
Sawyer - 6
Dickinson - Only on for 4 minutes so no rating.
Ferdinand - Only on for 1 minute so no rating.

Morris - 6. Had very little to do but distribution was done well.

Clohessy - 7. Did his job well and stuck a couple of good crosses in.
Phillips - 7. Won most headers against a very weak front line. Job done.
Barker - 7. Same as Phillips.
Prosser - 8. Slotted in very well at left back, some superb tackles but faced little trouble from their right winger.

Hall - 8. Deliveries as expected very good. Superb cross for the goal and was a danger throughout.
Grant - 6. Wasn't as imposing as his usual self, went missing during periods but still won free kicks in useful areas.
Kalala - 7. Can see JP being vital for us this season. Does the dirty work, hustling players constantly and wins the ball back with the pressure.
Johnson - 5. Had a poor game. Not one good cross and never really attacked their defence with real purpose.

Harris - 7. Some good touches and worked well with Bilel.
Mohsni - 9. Not sure how to describe this man, just a lunatic. Won everything in the air setting up attacks and just worked non stop! Going to be very useful when going for a goal but when Dickinson and Corr are fully fit, struggle to see him holding his position. Maybe slots into centre back with Barker moving to the left?

Subs:
Sawyer - 7. Nice bit of skill towards the end and brought more life into the attack when we were struggling.
Dickinson - 6. Seems a bit flat footed when running, not sure if it's due to his ankles, but looked very good with his feet.

No time for in depth view of the game but here are my ratings:

Morris - 6

Clohessy - 6
Phillips - 7
Barker - 8
Prosser - 8

Hall - 7
Grant - 6
Kalala - 7
Johnson - 6

Harris - 7
Mohsni - 8

Subs:
Sawyer - 7
Dickinson - 6

Pretty much agree with all the ratings. Disappointed with Johnson, Mohsni was awesome, Prosser MOM for me though, didn't put a foot wrong, defended very well and put a few good crosses in, much better crosser of the ball than Johnson.

Was satisfied without being overly impressed today. Looked pretty comfortable first half, especially before we scored, but true to form we never went for the juggular against a poor team who we could have spanked had we been firing on all cylinders.

The second half was disappointing. It irks me a little when Southend come out for the second half leading 1-0 and sit back on it. When Hereford won their first corner 2 minutes into the second half, there were 10 Southend players back in the box defending. What's that all about? That's a negative point against Sturrock for me, he's not positive enough sometimes, we really should have come out second half and mauled them.

We also need to stop getting sucked into the hoofball thing. Hereford did it all day long and by allowing ourselves to be sucked into it, we made it easy for them to stop us from playing it on the floor. Kalala was the better out of the central midfield pairing (Grant largely anonymous) but with the ball being hoofed back and forth over their heads all game they were unable to get into it. Encouraged by the defence but we need to be more ruthless going forward.

Morris 6 - Nothing to do.
Clohessy 6 - Solid enough, did well going forward but a little suspect defensively IMO.
Barker 7 - Barker is Barker! Dominating.
Phillips 7 - It's like having a new player. Looks fit and works well with Barks. Swept everything up.
Prosser 7.5 MOM - Didn't put a foot wrong all game and looked good defensively. One or two god crosses too.
Hall 6.5 - Cracking driven cross to the far post for Mohsni's goal. Not many players at this level have that sort of technique. He has such a sweet left foot and he ran and tracked back well today, but he needs to hug the line a little more to spread our play. We looked too narrow at times.
Kalala 6 - Got stuck in well and plays his role very well. Didn't play badly at all byt the game passed him and Grant by a bit today with the ball up in the air 90% of the time.
Grant 5 - Disappointing. Passing awry and muscled off the ball too easily. Didn't look fired up or with it today really.
Johnson 5.5 - Frustrating because the talent is undeniable but the confidence isn't there. He keeps cutting inside when there is no need to do so and losing the ball. He needs to be confident in his ability, take on his man more and get to the byline. On the 2 occasions that he did that today, though, his crossing was poor.
Mohsni 7 - Took his goal well and gave Hereford problems but his awareness of what is going on around him needs to improve - he missed 2 golden opportunities to slip Harris in. His positional discipline needs a bit of improvement too. I know he's eager, but dropping deep and looking for the ball the whole time leaves Harris with no options when the ball goes up to him.
Harris 7 - Played well, held up the ball, linked play intelligently and with real quality and vision but missed a few great chances to score. Think he'll play better with Corr or Dickinson because by playing with Moshni he's having to put in the movement of 2 players when Mohsni goes AWOL.

Subs:
Sawyer 6 - ran and tackled quite well and showed some nice touches and passes but is NOT a winger.
Dickinson 6 - didn't have enough time to get a higher mark but I liked what I saw. Good close control and movement. Could be a real asset when fully fit.
Ferdinand - not enough time for a rating.

All in all, a win is a win and it should do wonders for confidence but it looked a little disjointed and Sturrock needs to get them going for more goals rather than settling for a 1-0. Still, I'm feeling optimistic because it's clear that there is an abundance of depth and talent in this squad and once they get motoring, I think a good season is on the cards.

Thought prosser was superb today, didn't put a foot wrong and great to have Phillips back. As others have said, like a new signing. Mohsni still not a front man for me, but a good option to have.

Morris - 6
Clohessey - 6
Phillips - 7
Barker - 6
Prosser - 7
Hall - 7
Grant - 6
JPK - 7
JJ - 5
Harris - 7
Mohsni - 7

Lots of 7s... Hmmm... Probably have to give MOM to Mohsni just due to him making things happen, but Hall and Prosser ran him close.

a

Morris 6

Clohessy 6
Phillips 6
Barker 7
Prosser 7

Hall 6
Kalala 6
Grant 6
Johnson 4 (plus one bonus point for making everyone laugh with that cross)

Harris 7
Mohsni 8

Sawyer 7
Dickinson 7

Morris 6

Clohessy 6
Phillips 6
Barker 7
Prosser 7

Hall 6
Kalala 6
Grant 6
Johnson 4 (plus one bonus point for making everyone laugh with that cross)

Harris 7
Mohsni 8

Sawyer 7
Dickinson 7

Welcome to the zone,
Pretty much agree with your ratings, so will not add same, except I would give hall a 7 for the cross for the goal and a sublime piece of skill in the second half on the right.
I would agree with most who said that Prosser had a very good game, and a lovely piece of defending by Philips in the first half showing the forward to the touch line, which earned applause from the crowd, who don't often applaud defending.

A decent opener with all the chances falling at the right end :thumbsup:

Like England with crouch in the side, we punted it to moshni at every given chance and it was very effective, morris was able to find him from goal kicks and free kicks with ease as were most of the lads crossing in from the wing. This could be seen as quite one dimensional, but moshni will probably not play every game upfront, so when he doesn't play hopefully we will start to develop a second way of playing.

Harris looked a very decent player and so many times he got onto moshni flick ons. Should have scored a few and was unlucky, couple more games and he will start scoring reguarly me thinks. I really think moshni and harris could be 15 goal a season strikers, but the problem is we have Corr who proved he can get 20!

Shame we let Hereford dictate alot of the second half, they didn't make any real chances, but a better team probably would have. Probably a good fixture to have as a first game!

Morris - 6 - Spectator, possibly made one really good save as a corner was given?

Clohessy - 6 - Looked to overlap and made a couple of good crosses and was solid enough defensively.
Phillips - 8 - Really impressed me, tackled and headed well and Moshni would possibly struggle to get back in the centre back area with him in good form with barker.
Barker - 7 - Good solid as ever performance.
Prosser - 7 - Looked calm and composed, 200% better than last seasons opener. He actually has a good cross on him too.

Hall - 7 - Great crossing and looked a class above at times, not in the second half as much, also defended very well!
Grant - 6 - A few good tackles but apart from that I didn't see to much of him.
Kalala - 7 - A good addition by sturrock, will be good in this league.
Johnson - 6 - Should have scored, looked ok on the ball and I think he can grow into the way we play. Crossing poor.

Harris - 7 - few glimpses of class, looked a little rusty still, great outside of the foot through ball to Hall, hit the post one of the line and a couple of headers he should have done better with, plus moshni should have squared to give him a goal!
Moshni - 8 - Great STRIKER, yes thats right folks he is equally as good at striker as centre back, so get that into your heads!

subs
Sawyer - 7 - Not on for long but showed us more glimpses with his passing and skills. Could be moulded into a wide midfielder to challenge Johnson, but would rather see him in the centre still dictating games.
Dickinson - 7 - Hit the bar with some luck and had another headed chance too, held the ball well and looks another decent addition.
Ferdinand - n/a - not on long enough.

thought the gate might be a bit higher today, anyone know how many hereford supporters made the trip down ?

Back