• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1, Oldham Athletic 1

Evening Echo

The News
RYAN Hall bagged a second half leveller to help Southend United equal a club record with a 1-1 draw against Oldham Athletic at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Would have accepted that result before the game, but we had our chances to win it. The unbeaten run continues! :thumbsup:

Daniels - 7 - Wasn't really tested, sound kicking, nothing he could do about the goal though. That along with when they hit the bar was very poor defending, no-one closing them down.
Gilbert - 7 - Very good game from him to be honest. Put in a couple of good tackles and generally solid.
Phillips - 7 - Another solid performance at the back.
Barker - 7 - Never loses a header, another solid performance.
Clohessey - 7 - Had a great game last week and didn't do badly today, some good runs and support on the wings. An excellent attacking full back who also does his bit at the back as well.
Ferdinand - 7 - 'Quietly good game' as my dad said, can see why West ham want to offer 500k for him, shows signs of class but would like to see him get more stuck in. You have to remember he is only just 19 years old though.
Timlin - 7 - A lot better than last week, but still hasn't quite got back to the form that he was in a few weeks ago.
Mohsni - 7 - 2 disallowed goals, not sure why the first one was disallowed. Gave 100% as always, but missed a couple of clear cut opportunities which he was clearly furious with himself about! A few funny moments as well as usual.
Hall - 7.5 - Brilliantly taken goal, always looks the most dangerous of our players and I always get excited when he cuts in on his left foot on the edge of the box. Put in some good crosses as well that should have been converted. Weakness: right foot.
Kalala - 6.5 - Thought he was doing well while he was on. Got stuck in as usual.
Dickinson - 7 - Has had a brilliant last couple of games but came off at half time today. Didn't do badly although I was surprised to see him come off. Was he injured or was he just being rested?

Harris - 7 - Better touch and game in general today.
Sturrock - 7.5 - Thought he was excellent today when he came on, held the ball up excellently and made some excellent passes as well. One of his best games.

Referee - 2 - Absolutely diabolical. Haven't seen much worse refereeing in my life, we didn't get anything in the first half and he got stick from both sets of fans. Some silly yellow cards particularly Hall's where I thought the guy slipped over. What annoys me most however, is that pushes in the back, shirt pulling etc. are never awarded as fouls, not just by this ref but most refs in general.

Fancy ourselves away. Won't be easy, they showed signs of danger up front but certainly a winnable game.

Strangely though despite the fact no refs award fouls for shirt pulling, according to sturrock our first goal was disallowed for exactly that, the ref was clueless in general today, on the plus side though timlin is suspended for a game he wouldn't feature in anyway

Ref was dire...at one point in the first half, their player had both arms around Gilbert from behind, pulling him to the ground and the ref just watched it....

I swear he booked one of our players for sneezing

Would have accepted that result before the game, but we had our chances to win it. The unbeaten run continues! :thumbsup:

Daniels - 7 - Wasn't really tested, sound kicking, nothing he could do about the goal though. That along with when they hit the bar was very poor defending, no-one closing them down.
Gilbert - 7 - Very good game from him to be honest. Put in a couple of good tackles and generally solid.
Phillips - 7 - Another solid performance at the back.
Barker - 7 - Never loses a header, another solid performance.
Clohessey - 7 - Had a great game last week and didn't do badly today, some good runs and support on the wings. An excellent attacking full back who also does his bit at the back as well.
Ferdinand - 7 - 'Quietly good game' as my dad said, can see why West ham want to offer 500k for him, shows signs of class but would like to see him get more stuck in. You have to remember he is only just 19 years old though.
Timlin - 7 - A lot better than last week, but still hasn't quite got back to the form that he was in a few weeks ago.
Mohsni - 7 - 2 disallowed goals, not sure why the first one was disallowed. Gave 100% as always, but missed a couple of clear cut opportunities which he was clearly furious with himself about! A few funny moments as well as usual.
Hall - 7.5 - Brilliantly taken goal, always looks the most dangerous of our players and I always get excited when he cuts in on his left foot on the edge of the box. Put in some good crosses as well that should have been converted. Weakness: right foot.
Kalala - 6.5 - Thought he was doing well while he was on. Got stuck in as usual.
Dickinson - 7 - Has had a brilliant last couple of games but came off at half time today. Didn't do badly although I was surprised to see him come off. Was he injured or was he just being rested?

Harris - 7 - Better touch and game in general today.
Sturrock - 7.5 - Thought he was excellent today when he came on, held the ball up excellently and made some excellent passes as well. One of his best games.

Referee - 2 - Absolutely diabolical. Haven't seen much worse refereeing in my life, we didn't get anything in the first half and he got stick from both sets of fans. Some silly yellow cards particularly Hall's where I thought the guy slipped over. What annoys me most however, is that pushes in the back, shirt pulling etc. are never awarded as fouls, not just by this ref but most refs in general.

Fancy ourselves away. Won't be easy, they showed signs of danger up front but certainly a winnable game.

Harris and Sturrock both played well, held the ball up, brought players in to play and both made quite a few good lay offs.

Can only compare ref with Steve Bennet when he sent off Roget when it was beore that committed the foul. Steve Bennet has a long history off being crap. Think Web idolises him.

I am not sure how you can give Blair a 7.5 and Mohsni a 7 though Spanish......Moshni was everywhere and deserved to have at least one of the goals allowed and probably on another day would of had 2 more.

Dickinson must of been taken off injured because he was cack in the first half.

First half was mediocre and the 4-5-1 wasn't working. As soon as Luggy changed it we looked much better and dominated 2nd half. Battered them in fact for the last 20 and should of won by a couple. Their keeper pulled off 2 worldies and Bilel missed a sitter. Add to that 2 disallowed goals and we were very hard done by. Oldham got lucky, simple as. Play like we did 2nd half and we'll take Swindon apart on Tues. Thats the more important of the cup games for me. Bring it on...

I am not sure how you can give Blair a 7.5 and Mohsni a 7 though Spanish......Moshni was everywhere and deserved to have at least one of the goals allowed and probably on another day would of had 2 more.

Fair point, judging by the referee's performance today, the 1st one probably should have been allowed. A 7 might be a bit harsh as well, although he did miss a couple of good chances.

Sadly as poor as the referee was he got the first disallowed goal spot on and should have sent Bilel off with a second yellow (first was harsh). First half was men against boys. We were outmuscled in the middle of the park and Dicko was isolated up front though did pretty well. That's two home games where we have batterered opps second half and only got one goal.

Apparently the lino was injured and the 4th official had to take over and he hadn't finished his bovril! :winking:

Pity really that it wasn't the ref that got injured. He was awful, although in fairness, he was right to disallow both Moshni's goals. Moshni pushed the defender for the first and was offside for the second.

Anybody notice Coughlan letting Timlin know 10 mins to play then again 5mins to play and then he got booked
so gets a match ban now (which is Swindon bit obvious i thought and playing with fire)surely he would have been letting Barker know if it was for the benefit of the team as he is Captain

I wouldn't be suprised if sturrock told Timlin to get booked, Phillip's outburst looked a bit suspect too, seeing as the first team was played today, I'm guessing Sturrock isn't making the JPT a priority

Sadly as poor as the referee was he got the first disallowed goal spot on and should have sent Bilel off with a second yellow (first was harsh). First half was men against boys. We were outmuscled in the middle of the park and Dicko was isolated up front though did pretty well. That's two home games where we have batterered opps second half and only got one goal.
It wasn't men against boys in the first half - it was pretty even despite their goal and the missed sitter. The disallowed 'goal' from Mohsni was a long way from us but I didn't see anything that warranted a foul. Oldham were constantly pushing our players in the back (particularly M'Voto) and getting away with it.
As usual, P.Sturrock did the necessaries at half time and we looked much better - by the end we were battering them. When Harris and Sturrock first came on we started by hoofing the ball up the park as though Dickinson was still there, but then we realised that the key was to play it on the floor. This is where Sturrock and Harris really came in to their own, linking up play with clever passes. Timlin, Hall (who was marked by two players for much of the first half) and Clohessy started to really play and we looked a threat every time we came forward. We were the ones who looked like the league one side.
There is a tremendous spirit in this team and I wouldn't be surprised if we won the replay. Let's hope that, after tomorrow's draw, there's a real prize to play for.
I'm looking forward to Tuesday and hope that "a poor Southend side" puts one over on DiCanio....

It wasn't men against boys in the first half - it was pretty even despite their goal and the missed sitter. The disallowed 'goal' from Mohsni was a long way from us but I didn't see anything that warranted a foul. Oldham were constantly pushing our players in the back (particularly M'Voto) and getting away with it.
As usual, P.Sturrock did the necessaries at half time and we looked much better - by the end we were battering them. When Harris and Sturrock first came on we started by hoofing the ball up the park as though Dickinson was still there, but then we realised that the key was to play it on the floor. This is where Sturrock and Harris really came in to their own, linking up play with clever passes. Timlin, Hall (who was marked by two players for much of the first half) and Clohessy started to really play and we looked a threat every time we came forward. We were the ones who looked like the league one side.
There is a tremendous spirit in this team and I wouldn't be surprised if we won the replay. Let's hope that, after tomorrow's draw, there's a real prize to play for.
I'm looking forward to Tuesday and hope that "a poor Southend side" puts one over on DiCanio....

When did he say that? He's gonna get a bit of stick on Tuesday then!

Back