• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
RYAN Leonard’s first goal in 17 months handed Southend United a determined 1-0 win against Oxford United at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Thought smith made two brilliant saves. No one played outstanding however I thought reeves looks promising, ball seemed to just stick to his boot

Great to see Ryan come on and score. Also, Smith did very well to stop their early chances. Reeves looks like a nifty little playe!

awful game, Oxford had good chances in 1st half, we were a bit better 2nd half but hardly looked like scoring, goal was a bit of a shock. Liked the look of Reeves , can he play against Orient?

awful game, Oxford had good chances in 1st half, we were a bit better 2nd half but hardly looked like scoring, goal was a bit of a shock. Liked the look of Reeves , can he play against Orient?

He can, but I think Timlin is suspended? Meaning only woodyard and spicer as CM

Reeves looks a class act. Brilliant first touch and control and footballing brain counter the fact he looks lightweight. Poor game overall from us though. Should have been at least two down at ht.Smith made two very good saves in the first half to keep parity. Only shot of note in first half from us was Hurst's that was goal bound but one of their players put in a great block.
Second half was a little better but the combination of Britt and Corr was not working. Lavery showed a few nice touches. Spillane better in second half.Timlin and Corr picked up silly bookings.

Goal well worked though. Corr chased a loose ball over on the left hand side which their defenders were giving up for a goal kick.He gave the ball to Timlin who crossed in their area and landed to Leonard who finished well. Smash n grab part two.

Need to play better though soon as we cannot keep getting this lucky!!!

Last edited:
Cold and uninspiring for the most part. Very little between the two sides with poor quality throughout, although plaudits again must go to Paul Smith for his two stops against young Potter, the first of which prevented us going behind in the first couple of minutes, the second giving the platform for our winner. Deja vu on the second save which seemed a carbon copy of the first.

Inspired substitutions from Sturrock in Ben Reeves and Ryan Leonard although I'm not sure how our goal stood? I'm far from complaining but it looked to many of us like a blatant push by Leonard before his, albeit well-taken, looping header for the goal.

Ratings:

Smith - 8.5 - A couple of occasions where he could have been more dominant in the box, but we've been through that many times. High score due to keeping us in the game and inspiring victory rather than defeat.
Clohessy - 7.5 - Mr Consistent as always.
Phillips - 6 - Didn't really look composed. Several slices out of play and caught out of position. Poor game today.
Cresswell - 6.5 - Clean sheet for the defence but only thanks to Smith.
Barker - 5 - The weak link at the moment. I like him but his lack of pace is a real weakness in our back four.
Laird - 7 - Quietly efficient as always.
Reeves - 9 - Class act and he knows it. Like all the top players, his first touch isn't just to gain control of the ball, but more about doing something with it at the same time. Flicks, tricks, creativity, pace, vision, confidence, an eye for a pass. First impression - Lee Sawyer with a Premier pedigree. Can't wait to see more of him. Fantastic cameo debut with his energy changing the game and, quite likely, the result.
Spillane - 5 - The jury's out and he may not be fit yet, but a poor home debut. Seemed nervous.
Timlin - 6.5 - Usual bustling display of running but didn't gain control of the midfield.
Hurst - 6.5 - Not his best display either. Passing not as effective as usual.
Corr - 6.5 - Put himself about as you'd expect but too many predictable fouls and too many off-sides.
Assombalonga - 6 - Ineffective today but largely due to his lack of fitness.

I thought Hurst had a good game, always looking for the ball and the hardest working creative player Ive seen.

Smith kept us in the game first half with a couple of good stops, Oxford certainly should have been in the lead at half time.

Second half we probably shaded, but was still poor.

Lavery didnt do anything to impress, Reeves looks like he might have real quality, but he had a moment of headless chicken trying to showboat which lost us possession, looking forward to seeing him again.

Overall a poor game only saved by grabbing the goal late on.

Reeves looked class.

After her comments when we signed him, OBL is lucky not to receive the Barna treatment :winking:

Poor game & freezing bloody cold but a win is a win..:smile:

Pluses for us, Smith is class whatever wiggy says, Reeves & Lavery look useful. Cresswell was immense again but I thought their No: 15's pace showed up Barkers lack of it.

A better performance needed on Tuesday, but happy bunny tonight..:smile:

Oh and on a freezing day when hot food would have been nice the family enclosure run out after about 20 people leaving the rest of us cold and hungry

Catering manager 1/10

Oh and on a freezing day when hot food would have been nice the family enclosure run out after about 20 people leaving the rest of us cold and hungry

Catering manager 1/10
You didn't miss much. My half time burger was rock hard possibly the worst burgers i have ever had at a football ground.

I thought Hurst had a good game, always looking for the ball and the hardest working creative player Ive seen.

Smith kept us in the game first half with a couple of good stops, Oxford certainly should have been in the lead at half time.

Second half we probably shaded, but was still poor.

Lavery didnt do anything to impress, Reeves looks like he might have real quality, but he had a moment of headless chicken trying to showboat which lost us possession, looking forward to seeing him again.

Overall a poor game only saved by grabbing the goal late on.

Yes, I heard that, gave me a scare ..............but I would imagine nothing in comparison to the ringing in his ear by Sturrock, when he got off the pitch. Luggy may have politely reminded him that he wasn't playing a reserve match in front of some of his friends. I think they call that a learning curve!

Yes, I heard that, gave me a scare ..............but I would imagine nothing in comparison to the ringing in his ear by Sturrock, when he got off the pitch. Luggy may have politely reminded him that he wasn't playing a reserve match in front of some of his friends. I think they call that a learning curve!

Blatant showboating that he will be told to cut out!! Must not detract from a great cameo from him though

He probably thought he was in the Prem with plenty of time to play instead of 4th division where the defenders are onto you in a split second.

Welcome to League 2 son.

Not much of note today.

Cresswell was immense at the back. Not very often ill big players up on twitter but he deserved it today. Clear MOtM. Smithy pulled off another couple of very good saves and another clean sheet to his tally (how many has he had now statto's?!). Reeves looked very good. Corr was very good 2nd half and Timlin improved. The 1st half hour the midfield didnt work with Hurst out left and Laird on the right. We got very lucky as didnt deserve much from the game at all. Spillane good at breaking up their attacks, distribution was poor on the whole. Britt wasnt close to being fit.

Back