• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Kidderminster Harriers

Mooney worked really hard today. Nothing much came off, but it will do with that effort.
Agree with this and think he has started the season quite well and defo shown glimpses of what he is capable of, he is a confidence player and do feel under Kev and co he can come good

Its vital the sale goes through by the end of the month .It vital we keep cards .He could well end up being the 20 goal in the season we have craved for .As long as he can stay fit and injury free .

I was slightly bored with the first half but this was more down to Kidderminster than us and they way they played.
I thought we struggled in the mid field initially.
Bridge had two players on him constantly and it looked as if they had done their homework.
Taylor looked tired by the mid second half
Kensdale has become much stronger (and I would not want to get into an argument with him) and I really like him.
Mooney is trying hard and as long he and the others give 100% we cannot criticise
Cardwell was exceptional again today but the person who stood out for me was Ralph.

crowd was good again

At least now we are on + points

We all see the game differently but several times when having run out of options the excellent Ralph launched the ball down the line towards Mooney which requires the forward to challenge, maybe win the ball, maybe get a throw in 50 yards down the pitch. While the ball was in the air Mooney ran 10 yards in the wrong direction leaving the defender unchallenged. A talented footballer with no bottle.

I thought Cardwell was too isolated at times today. No-one playing off him, reading his flick ons. Despite playing a team coming to defend we were almost one up top.

Mooney has done well so far this season but really needed to get closer to Cardwell who had a great game.

Everyone did ok- though Demi did really well when he came on. He delivers a great ball into the box and seems to clear the first man off either foot- put 2or 3 great crosses in.

We found it hard to break them down but we stuck at it.Amazed the officials only added 1 minute considering Bridge injury and timewasting by the goalkeeper but somehow gave 7 mins at the end which really came back to bite Kiddy keeper for his timewasting during the whole game and justice resulting in Powell's winner.
Cheats never prosper
First half added time was an embarrassment- basically completely ignored the new rules. Main source of time wasting was the referee who should have booked himself on more than one occasion.

It's almost too emotional to try and put in to words how I feel right now with the prospect of 3 home matches before the end of our wonderful football club.

Yesterday was yet another reminder why we do this week in, week out. I can't thank the players, management team and all the staff still hanging in there against all the odds enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you 👏👏👏

No point in analysing the match in this pitiful position we are in. We won't finish on minus points so that's a relief and SUFC will always live on in my heart no matter what happens now and this short season has already proved why I love this football club so much 💙

Really good win today because we were not at our best and the opposition were a very tough nut to crack.

We should be encouraged by Russ Penn's post-match comments, it is clear that Kidderminster had a good day today, and I thought they were a well organised unit who posed a bit of a threat. Certainly we have all seen the likes of Hemmings score against us plenty of times before.

First half we did the right things, played the ball around to try and create openings but it wasn't quite at a tempo that moved them around enough. Ironically Bridge was one of the guilty ones, trying over and over to beat his man. Fonguck frustrated me because he finds space so well and we needed to run at their defence but he rarely did.

Seemed to me Gus was carrying a knock but he improved as the game went on. Bridge going off actually helped us as we were far less predictable. Gus came into the game more and we didn't look solely to attack down our left.

Demetriou put in a tremendous cameo. His crossing was good, he showed experience where it mattered and he led by example on a couple of occasions.

You know what you get with Powell, and Maher played him well. We needed more energy with the Harriers in the ascendency and he will run for everything. His goal was brilliant for two reasons, firstly he made the run for Coker's pass down the line. After laying it back to Demetriou, he sprinted into the box and he was rewarded when the ball dropped to his feet. Remarkable composure for a man so reliably uncomposed, and a good finish. The guy next to me absolutely hates him but I have to say I am a fan. He causes chaos, even though a lot of what he does is poorly executed.

Much has been said about Ralph, who was superb, and Cardwell, but I will say I was relieved to see HC all smiles at the end and getting plaudits from the management. He could have had his head turned after the rejected bids (after all who couldn't be swayed by the chance to play for Harrogate in front of 2,500 every week), but he looked delighted as he walked off. A true pro among a squad of true pros. Every point right now is so important, and I salute them all. This was not an easy game.

Yes, must admit before he shot I was thinking 'oh no, anyone but him'.

I'm sure it will be much quicker when I see the highlights but yesterday it seemed like time stood still as the whole ground had CP thoughts flash through their mind. Great finish for the whole club and him personally.

Credit to all the others involved in the long build up and young Oli for his back spin pass into space. A blind alley for most of our team but space and time to turn is where Callum does his best work......Really pleased for him.

I think we have to give Kiddie some credit for their game plan as to why the first half was less of what we've become used to. They'd clearly done their research and played accordingly to try and stifle and stop us getting that early lead.

I've said in the past that I think Dan Mooney is an unlucky player. He tries and works so hard but things too often don't seem to work for him - the ball will bounce odd, hit a bobble or an oppo player will do a seemingly impossible stretch to stick a foot in. Yesterday was one of those games for him. I hope he won't be too despondent as there's a really good player in there. Having said that, I would prefer Cav to go back on to corners as I think his are better.

I can see why Cardwell had been the choice for most for MOTM, how difficult it was to ignore his influence on the game, but Ralph equalled it for me. Those tackles and those giant salmon-like leaps were immense, a proper captain's performance leading from the back - such a shame that long distance strike didn't go in. Couldn't tell from our perspective how close it was?

I thought Miley and Husin bossed the midfield very well, Miley was instrumental in so much of what went on and it was good to see our POTS last year finally getting back to his best. I was disappointed in Fonguck - he's not very brave in the challenge, is he? It's a shame, as otherwise he'd be a really effective attacking CM.

Nasty knock for Jack, when we saw him doing the fitness test at the end of half time we didn't think he'd be risked for the 2nd half as he was clearly still hobbling, so why risk our most creative player? Demi came on, and did Demi stuff. It's so good to see he's still got the appetite and hunger to carry on doing that wing work, rolling back the years, and it proved profitable for us yesterday.

The rest of the defence were solid - I thought Gus looked shattered so I hope they are given a bit of a break before the 3 matches in 8 days, with two long away trips. Taylor and Kensdale were committed and immovable in their defending. Collin was unlucky with their goal but I think that can also be put down to a bit of inexperience. A couple of decent saves otherwise.

Absolutely delighted for Callum to have got the winner, and shows how he's listening and learning too as that would definitely have gone over the bar by some distance last year. Oli Coker came on to far more effect too, so well done to all the subs.

Collin - 7
Gus - 7
Taylor - 8
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 8.5, joint MOTM
Bridge - 7
Miley - 7.5
Husin - 7.5
Fonguck - 6.5
Mooney - 7
Cardwell - 8.5, joint MOTM

Subs:
Demi, Coker and Powell all 7.5

Management team are doing an incredible job, we are so very lucky to have them.

Last edited:
May be an image of text that says Vanarama @Vanarama Top attendances today in @TheVanaramaNL: Southend United 5,402 Hartlepool United- 4,072 Rochdale 3,491 Aldershot Town- 2,249 Boreham Wood 1,962 #TheVanarama #Shrimpers ALT Cars.com

Probably this should belong in the Halifax Pre Match Thread, but Mooney and Powell could start as out and out wingers if Jack is out and Gus is knackered. It would need a bit of a rework through the rest of the team, but both of them may benefit from more space on the wings. Maybe Demi starting at LB and Gus at RB. That would enable Ralph to push on into the middle.

Great result, if not a great game.

In the first half I thought the team were sympathetic towards the fans 10 minutes silence... they certainly didn't do very much to give us something to cheer! But that was as much down to Kiddy who out-pressed us and whilst we made tons of passes and had loads of possession, it was all in areas that didn't really matter. A shot by Mooney that went just over was about the only goalmouth action in the first half.

The second half wasn't much better until that pass from Husin and Cardwell's cool finish. It was a real goal out of nowhere.

After that, there wasn't much until their goal from nothing either.

The last 10 minutes were entertaining... Ralph's goal of the season contender from 35 yards (if it had gone in) and Powell made things happen. His winning goal was a fitting end to a decent cameo performance. Last season, that ball would have been screwed wide, or put over the bar. Not this year... good finish Mr P!

Positive territory now, and some noises that everything might be ok.

Ratings

Everyone 7 except -

Ralph 9.5 MOM
Miley - 6
Bridge 5
Cardwell - 9
Powell - 8

Ref 4

Does he know how to play advantage? Way too fussy.

I think we have to give Kiddie some credit for their game plan as to why the first half was less of what we've become used to. They'd clearly done their research and played accordingly to try and stifle and stop us getting that early lead.

I've said in the past that I think Dan Mooney is an unlucky player. He tries and works so hard but things too often don't seem to work for him - the ball will bounce odd, hit a bobble or an oppo player will do a seemingly impossible stretch to stick a foot in. Yesterday was one of those games for him. I hope he won't be too despondent as there's a really good player in there. Having said that, I would prefer Cav to go back on to corners as I think his are better.

I can see why Cardwell had been the choice for most for MOTM, how difficult it was to ignore his influence on the game, but Ralph equalled it for me. Those tackles and those giant salmon-like leaps were immense, a proper captain's performance leading from the back - such a shame that long distance strike didn't go in. Couldn't tell from our perspective how close it was?

I thought Miley and Husin bossed the midfield very well, Miley was instrumental in so much of what went on and it was good to see our POTS last year finally getting back to his best. I was disappointed in Fonguck - he's not very brave in the challenge, is he? It's a shame, as otherwise he'd be a really effective attacking CM.

Nasty knock for Jack, when we saw him doing the fitness test at the end of half time we didn't think he'd be risked for the 2nd half as he was clearly still hobbling, so why risk our most creative player? Demi came on, and did Demi stuff. It's so good to see he's still got the appetite and hunger to carry on doing that wing work, rolling back the years, and it proved profitable for us yesterday.

The rest of the defence were solid - I thought Gus looked shattered so I hope they are given a bit of a break before the 3 matches in 8 days, with two long away trips. Taylor and Kensdale were committed and immovable in their defending. Collin was unlucky with their goal but I think that can also be put down to a bit of inexperience. A couple of decent saves otherwise.

Absolutely delighted for Callum to have got the winner, and shows how he's listening and learning too as that would definitely have gone over the bar by some distance last year. Ollie Coker came on to far more effect too, so well done to all the subs.

Collin - 7
Gus - 7
Taylor - 8
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 8.5, joint MOTM
Bridge - 7
Miley - 7.5
Husin - 7.5
Fonguck - 6.5
Mooney - 7
Cardwell - 8.5, joint MOTM

Subs:
Demi, Coker and Powell all 7.5

Management team are doing an incredible job, we are so very lucky to have them.
After reading your post I’m thinking if our hopes of martin going and new investment coming in with the new owners happens , with a few additions coming to the club we would really have a strong team for a promotion push next season so let’s hope for happier times following the blues very soon COYB

Back