• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Barnet

Evening Echo

The News
KEVAN Hurst’s late volley secured Southend United a 2-2 draw with struggling Barnet at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

We struggled with the change in formation, Barnet kept our key men quiet for the majority of the match and we weren't allowed to play the way we have been. Barnet were in my view the best side to visit the Hall this season so far.

Having said that with a bit more luck we would have had the three points. What a frantic end, and what a shocking miss at the end by the Barnet player!

Can't criticise many individual performances but we really just didn't play well as a team. Smith looked poor at times and from my view that was another goal that slipped under him? Kicking was poor also, no chance with the first goal mind. Was there any need to drop Bentley? Not been impressed with Hursts set piece delivery over the last couple of games, maybe time for a change?

Smith - 5.5 - Poor kicking early on, let the second in to easily. couple of good reaction saves.

Clohessy - 6 - Didn't really get into the game and the change in formation meant we didn't see him be able to link up with Hurst like they have been.
Cresswell - 7 - Strong as ever, made a nuisanse of himself up front and was involved in the equaliser.
Prosser - 7 - Going through his best form as a footballer, seems to be developing well.
Barker - 6 - Did okay, but again missed having a winger close to him, so couldn't get forward as much.

Hurst - 7 - Poor set pieces but got the equaliser and nearly broke the bar.
Timlin - 6.5 - Couldn't stamp his usual authority on the game.
Starker - 6 - Not his position, and didn't contribute much.

Assombalonga - 6 - Barnet did well to keep him quiet and he didn't have a sniff against two tall centrebacks who had a very good game.
Eastwood - 6 - Very quiet until his penalty, after that he seemed to come alive.
Tomlin - 7 - Our best attacking outlet today and was unlucky not to score.

Martin - 6.5 - Did okay when he came on and looked a threat down the left.

Need to be winning games like this! The lack of another central midfielder really showed here today.

Can I make an obvious comment.
We had no midfield.
I will leave it there for now.

Smith is poor and would rather have had Bentley in goal. At fault for the second goal and his kicking was woeful and he doesn't seem to come for balls.

Also very fortunate that Barnet missed a sitter at the end

Last edited:
We have got such a small squad with so many players out of position that we was always going to struggle, however smith should of done better with the second one, how on earth that went in i will never know!

No midfield is what's costing us as we can't get the ball from the back to the front so resort to lumping it. Need midfielders. Over to you Ron.

We struggled in the midfield for obvious reasons, both of the goals were down to players standing off and not getting a tackle in early enough. Thought Timlins did really well in breaking things up when he was outnumbered most of the time and defending on his own. One of the worst refs I've seen at the hall in ages, didn't seem to understand the advantage rule and let them get away with too much time wasting. Does anyone closer to the south stand know why the goal was disallowed and if the ball had crossed the line?

We struggled in the midfield for obvious reasons, both of the goals were down to players standing off and not getting a tackle in early enough. Thought Timlins did really well in breaking things up when he was outnumbered most of the time and defending on his own. One of the worst refs I've seen at the hall in ages, didn't seem to understand the advantage rule and let them get away with too much time wasting. Does anyone closer to the south stand know why the goal was disallowed and if the ball had crossed the line?

Think the ref was signalling that the ball went out and came back in during the corner.

Sitting in the family West Stand the corner went well off before Cresswell headed in

we have no money, no players and no god-given right to get promoted so its about time the criticizers on here get real! As for ron martin, nobody wants him at SUFC but whats the alternative? And those blaming Martin/Sturrock for the draw today also need to get real! As much as I and every other Southend fan want us to do well, we need to remember who we are!

we have no money, no players and no god-given right to get promoted so its about time the criticizers on here get real! As for ron martin, nobody wants him at SUFC but whats the alternative? And those blaming Martin/Sturrock for the draw today also need to get real! As much as I and every other Southend fan want us to do well, we need to remember who we are!

But Martin is to blame though?

I have not been as frustrated with a performance in many a year like i did with our second half performance today, shocking how a team as rubbish as Barnet could at will pass through our midfield and basically make us look very very ordinary. Im not knocking Timlin as i feel he had no midfield back up at all today. And please can someone explain why Martin was dropped for a left back? im also afraid that id rather see 19 year old bentley in goal rather than Smith... im still shocked at how we never seem to play until games are nearly lost ! Onwards and upwards cccsiders

The guy is skint ... no one will buy the club. No win situation all round

We are losing money, we have a huge debt and at the end of the day we aren't much more than a tinpot football league club, why would any potential investors want to invest in that unless they supported the club?

We are losing money, we have a huge debt and at the end of the day we aren't much more than a tinpot football league club, why would any potential investors want to invest in that unless they supported the club?

We have a superb catchment and a supporter base proven to turn out, we have a local council supporting pro football.

Back