• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Hartlepool United

The lads just aren't good enough to go out there and win every game. Nothing to do with being tired. Until Kev gets back into the transfer market, we are where we are. Not replaced Hobson for starters, let alone Lopata. So the backbone of the team is affected. We've taken Taylor out of midfield so the midfield is affected.
It's my belief that one or two are playing through minor injuries and of course we have a young inexperienced keeper who won't perform miracles.

The balance of the team isn't perfect to sustain a challenge at this level, it's quite obvious. The fact that two out of four tough games we've walked two of them and are unlucky in the other two, is a huge achievement for the lads and the football dept and are rightly applauded by the fans.

Please don't say this is a team that done so well last season, this is a different team. Fonguck was nowhere to be seen last year, Taylor plays at the back now, Husin was never going to shine every week we know that and our back up players off the bench aren't as good. We got an old Demi and very inexperienced Wood, Coker and an improving Mooney, last year we might have brought on Taylor to wrap a game up.
Huge difference.

The chairman still won't sell, let's just remember that and sometimes this team just can't work miracles. But i think theyre the bollocks for trying ! PLEASE GET US OUT OF THE EMBARGO !

Last edited:
Some views from the other side.....

A great three points from Pools and we showed a lot of the qualities that have been missing in recent years. We were professional, tenacious, ruthless. On this display we'll be in the mix come May.
Without doubt Southend deserved something from that game but they didn't take their chances and we did.

Southend were good today, they were all over us like a rash, you could tell we were two ex league clubs. They played great and caused us problems with good passing and pace upfront.

Southend had a right go at us and and we rode our luck at times. Brilliant day out and loved it when Pools players came over to us at the end. We have pace in the side which enables us to get up the field and attack before the opposition have time to get organized. I thought Mancini was the pick of Pools players today, lots of clever close control and Southend struggled to deal with him. All the lads put in a shift and deserved the win. Happy days.

Agree we were under the cosh at times. Southend very rarely gave the ball away so our midfielders had to be tenacious to win the ball back. Still a worrying number of crosses pinged into our box at it was every man to pumps at which is how Mani got his head injury.

It’s been a good start to the season as we’ve proven we will pick up points in the division against some of the better sides, a far cry from the last time we were relegated.

Today I thought we were value for a point but took a really good away win home. Defensively we still look terrible from crosses and think the central midfield area is lacking in pace and bite. Pools just a couple players short for me. Also thought - despite his assist - that Wreh was well off it. But we have Umerah to come back in, with Grey notching today too. Mancini is a joy to watch.

The lads just aren't good enough to go out there and win every game. Nothing to do with being tired. Until Kev gets back into the transfer market, we are where we are. Not replaced Hobson for starters, let alone Lopata. So the backbone of the team is affected. We've taken Taylor out of midfield so the midfield is affected.
It's my belief that one or two are playing through minor injuries and of course we have a young inexperienced keeper who won't perform miracles.

The balance of the team isn't perfect to sustain a challenge at this level, it's quite obvious. The fact that two out of four tough games we've walked two of them and are unlucky in the other two, is a huge achievement for the lads and the football dept and are rightly applauded by the fans.

Please don't say this is a team that done so well last season, this is a different team. Fonguck was nowhere to be seen last year, Taylor plays at the back now, Husin was never going to shine every week we know that and our back up players off the bench aren't as good. We got an old Demi and very inexperienced Wood, Coker and an improving Mooney, last year we might have brought on Taylor to wrap a game up.
Huge difference.

The chairman still won't sell, let's just remember that and sometimes this team just can't work miracles. But i think theyre the bollocks for trying ! PLEASE GET US OUT OF THE EMBARGO !
I think that the only club in the country that has lads that can go out and win every game is Man City

Some are suggesting Hartlepool were clearly better than us. I disagree. They were a footballing unit, not dirty and had an honest go but, their defence was iffy and they took (well) the three goal scoring chances that we gifted them . Had we not been continuously ponderous and indecisive with the ball in deep areas, we would have won the game.
We need to stop fanning about with the ball and put an end to the delusion some defenders have that they are ball players. We play out so slowly, allowing the higher press on us, and then lose the ball in areas where defenders never seem to recover or want to put their foot in.

Can't keep taking leads and losing!! Can't keep blaming tiredness and lack of players.To play a football match requires 11 players 10 outfield players and a goal keeper,we have 15 available? Yes we need more players for cover but to say we have lost the last 2 games due to not having enough players is just an excuse!! We are scoring goals and playing well,on to eastleigh Friday.

You have to give Hartlepool credit for their game management. They were steady and grew into the game whereas we went the other way. They also marked very well, restricting our passing (some of which was awful anyway!).

We started hell for leather and were 1-0 up very quickly again. Even conceding one, we were back to 2-1 still displaying a reasonable amount of energy. The fact that they then equalised again so quickly took the wind out of our sails, and coupled with the heat out there, and the tiredness of our players meant we struggled for the last half hour.

I'd have made the subs earlier myself, and, losing 3-2, it was inexplicable to me that we still had a sub at the end that we could have made to bring on fresh legs and galvanise what was left in the near empty tanks of the rest of the team.

Looked to me as if some players are scared to make tackles with the lack of cover in the squad. Miley has always been a great tackler, yet he's more inclined to put a foot in than actually tackle at the moment. Husin and Fonguck have never been great at tackling, Fonguck especially, and for me, that's why we got over-run in midfield yesterday. Also missing Harry Taylor's defensive midfield play as he's been converted to a defender - not criticising that as again, I thought he was the pick of the three.

I think some are being unnecessarily harsh on Powell, had a hand in both our goals - again - and I thought should have had a clear penalty in the first half. I do think the ref took one look at him early doors and decided he was giving him nothing! Cardwell did loads of running too, but I don't remember seeing him do terribly much else, other than a couple of flick ons.

Another who is fed up with the "everything through Jack Bridge" play plan - Gus was so often in acres of space and has a decent cross. Use it! Hartlepool worked that out pretty quickly too so were doubling up on Jack, although to be fair to him, he did get by them several times.

Haven't seen the stats, but I don't remember Hartlepool having many other shots than the goals (and one off the bar), so I think we have the right to be asking some questions of the defence and keeper.

Collin - 6, thought he probably could have done better with the goals
Gus - 7, decent play though knackered by the end - watch the foul throws too!
Taylor - 7.5, MOTM, one of only a few players to make proper tackles. Got forwards too and had a cracking shot 1st half.
Kensdale - 6.5, lots of blaming of others, maybe needs to look at himself
Ralph - 7, solid game, great aerial dominance
Bridge - 7, usual sort of Jack game, faded at times, then came back with some brilliant wing play
Miley - 6.5, bit off the pace so far this season, but still the dominant midfield player
Husin - 6.5, tried to get forward more in the 2nd half but didn't do a lot in the 1st - didn't he get in the way of Ralph for one of their goals?
Fonguck - 6, always used to say he'd be good one match then poor the next, this was one of his poor ones. Looked tired
Powell - 6.5, hand in both our goals, kept running, kept pressuring in the 1st half, tired in the 2nd and knew he'd be 1st off
Cardwell - 6.5, wanted more from him yesterday. Hartlepool's defence looked a bit shaky and though we intimidated the keeper a few times, I felt we could have pressured the defence more

Subs:
Mooney for Powell - 6.5, did ok when he came on, another the ref gave nothing to
Wood for Fonguck - 6.5, wanted him on earlier to see what he could do, was a bit disappointed not to be able to judge him on a longer performance but made himself available and pressed forward

The ref was atrocious, one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

Atmosphere was a bit flat at times, not sure if that was down to holidays and some of the usual noisy ones not being about, but it was definitely quieter. Good game for a neutral I suspect and fair play to Hartlepool.

Last edited:
Good game for the neutrals in what resembled a game of basketball at times. We played well going forward but got undone by sloppy defending, clinical Hartlepool finishing and lack of legs in the final quarter. Thought Jack Bridge had a better game and looked sharper but we missed Harry Taylor in the midfield, Cav cannot do all the donkey work in the midfield on his own. Once Hartlepool started running at our defence we could not cope and every goal was expertly finished.

Andeng Ndi 5
Taylor 5
Kensdale 4.5
Ralph 5
Scott-Morriss 6.5
Husin 5
Miley 6
Fonguck 5.5
Bridge 7 MOTM
Cardwell 6.5
Powell 6

Mooney 5
Wood 5

Powell with 2 assists with decent crosses but often could not retain possession. On the evidence of yesterday we need more steel but I feel Hartlepool will be right up there this season. Once Umerah back from suspension they will be even more dangerous. Let’s hope Eastleigh are not so ruthless on Friday. UTB

Unfortunately until the embargo is lifted and Kev has the chance to strengthen the team we are going to struggle.We all know Kev can do very little to change the team and my fear if the embargo continues and injuries kick in we will drop like a brick down the league.So Mr Martin do the decent thing get the embargo lifted and give the team a chance to compete that's all we ask for.

Husin and Wes look like luxury players. Would love a Harrison Neal type in there with Cav and personally would love to see Bridge moved inside if we could find a decent left back. All ifs and buts of course until we can sign players.

Not at the match but did Kev make a tactical error? With Mancini pulling all the strings, could the coach have put Miley close marking on their number 8. Have read that Cav looked tired, so perhaps not?

Unfortunately until the embargo is lifted and Kev has the chance to strengthen the team we are going to struggle.We all know Kev can do very little to change the team and my fear if the embargo continues and injuries kick in we will drop like a brick down the league.So Mr Martin do the decent thing get the embargo lifted and give the team a chance to compete that's all we ask for.
This is it - add to the squad a few players and suddenly we have options:

another central defender would allow the option of Taylor slotting into midfield alongside Miley and bolsters that area, or Ralph to play LWB and Bridge to be moved more central.

Another striker would allow us to rest Cardwell or give another target up front.

Another goalkeeper would push Collin

Until the embargo is lifted we lack options and become predictable and vulnerable to injuries

Last edited:
This is it - add to the squad a few players and suddenly we have options:

another central defender would allow the option of Taylor slotting into midfield alongside Miley and bolsters that area, or Ralph to play LWB and Bridge to be moved more central.

Another striker would allow us to rest Cardwell or give another target up front.

Another goalkeeper would push Collin

Until the embargo is lifted we lack options and become predictable and vulnerable to injuries

And how did having a large squad and options work out for us last season?

4 strikers being used game in, game out...

Fresh legs to bring on in midfield and defence...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 11.46.50.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 11.46.50.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 40
While we’re praising them, credit to Hartlepool for wearing their home kit. Hardly the biggest issue but there was no need for a change so why do it?
Have you seen their away kit, dark stripes, would have clashed horribly with our Navy. That is why they were in their home kit, with a change of shorts from blue to white.

Interestingly, did anyone see the Hartlepool supporter with young daughter in the middle of the West Stand? Went down and had photo taken with Sammy at half time - I get that sometimes you might be with family but please don't wear the away team's colours in the home stand...have some respect!

Interestingly, did anyone see the Hartlepool supporter with young daughter in the middle of the West Stand? Went down and had photo taken with Sammy at half time - I get that sometimes you might be with family but please don't wear the away team's colours in the home stand...have some respect!
yup - 4 seats away from me. Think he knew some Southend fans

Back