• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Accrington Stanley

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
3 points, goals from Mantom, Robinson and Cox! Great day all round same again next Saturday please!!

Hutchinson makes his league debut..... at last :Winking:

Post all your ratings and reports here.

3-0, that's nice to type. Cracking early Christmas present for the long suffering Southend supporters. Lets hope that we can repeat the result next Saturday against Rochdale. Match reports etc here all.

3-0, that's nice to type. Cracking early Christmas present for the long suffering Southend supporters. Lets hope that we can repeat the result next Saturday against Rochdale. Match reports etc here all.

Too slow :Winking2:

We weathered the storm today. Not great amounts of possession but stuck to the task. Cox and Robinson worked hard up front and deservedly both scored.

Great finish from Robinson I must say.

442 worked well today. I'd have liked to have seen Hutchinson come on when Kightly did really but his time will come

Finley was an angry young man and I think was taken off to avoid being sent off

Some of you should be sitting down right now and eating a large portion of humble pie. Theo Robinson, eh.... That is how you play him, that is why we must always start two up front. And didn't Simon Cox perform so much better with a partner.

To be honest Accrington were poor. But they started brightly and looked like they may cause a problem. But we got the first goal, and inexplicibly followed up with a second. That killed them. Conditions worsened and we had trouble getting the ball out of our half in the second period. That was where we earned our points, we defended well, the keeper kept well and we played with a bit of passion. Theo scored a lovely goal after a Dieng interception and smart Cox pass. For someone who according to some can't hit a barn door with a banjo, he comfortably stroked the ball home. Happy days.

It's been very negative in recent weeks. We were so poor last week, so this really was a much needed 3 points and a much needed performance. Elvis is growing into a proper footballer. You don't realise he has less than 20 appearances, and today some will have him as our best player. He is the bright spark amongst the injury crisis. Macca seems to have got over whatever it was that was affecting him earlier in the season. Unlucky to be hauled off, he looked bright and up for it. Robinson and Cox, that's the way to go and that's how you play them. Mantom and Dieng looked liked players after last week's abhorration.

If we can follow that up next week, it should keep the relegation doom mungers at bay for a couple of weeks at least.

A good day at the Hall :)

I didn't think Accrington were poor at all. They were very good coming forward and only by a miracle did they not score. Not seen the stats but I'm sure they had more shots than us. It's just they they were bad at the back and unlike them, we took some of our chances. The crowd was good considering the weather, Christmas and our poor run of form. Theo Robinson, well that was a surprise. I have been one of his biggest critics, but today he was superb. Without doubt his best ever game playing for Southend. Well done Theo. More of that please.

Despite the conditions the game had some good passing (from both sides) and the pitch really held up well. I did not think Accers were a bad side and they had some good players who looked to do more than hoof and run. They will be wondering how the score line ended up that way.
The ref (and linos) had a mixed game, some odd decisions and some good letting play flow; I did think Coxy was fortunate not to get a card but the ref seemed to recognise conditions were tough.
We can't defend corners and got lucky a few times plus Whitey and Moore both did fantastic blocks to put crosses behind and out.
good 4 4 2, players fit and in regular spots, 3 goals, no injuries, no bookings, 6k crowd sent home happy.
Same again next weekend please?
Finally; I applaud Mr Coleman, they got awarded a throw which everyone but the ref knew was ours and Mr Coleman ordered them to take it and put it straight out so we could restart the game as it should have been! TOP SPORTSMANSHIP!

Finally; I applaud Mr Coleman, they got awarded a throw which everyone but the ref knew was ours and Mr Coleman ordered them to take it and put it straight out so we could restart the game as it should have been! TOP SPORTSMANSHIP!

Did that actually happen??? I know some in the East though it did. Our view was that the assistant and referee conflicted with each other. The ref gave it to them and then changed his mind. So we think Coleman went down the line to yell at him.

It would be a refreshing thing if he had actually turned it over. I supposed we'll never know for sure.

I didn't think Accrington were poor at all. They were very good coming forward and only by a miracle did they not score. Not seen the stats but I'm sure they had more shots than us. It's just they they were bad at the back and unlike them, we took some of our chances. The crowd was good considering the weather, Christmas and our poor run of form. Theo Robinson, well that was a surprise. I have been one of his biggest critics, but today he was superb. Without doubt his best ever game playing for Southend. Well done Theo. More of that please.

From the BBC website

Possession Blues 49% Accers 51%
Shots 10 14
Shots on target 7 4
Corners 8 9
Fouls 11 8

3-0 great win, I might see what odds I can get for Accrington to go down now, must be worth a punt as there form of 5 weeks ago has gone to pot, weren’t they 2nd or 3rd a few weeks ago:Hilarious:

Enjoyed that.

Really quite impressed with Accrington. They passed and moved all afternoon, got the ball down and played football. Clark was quality, with good support from Finley and Barlaser who were equally impressive. Loved Finley's fiery desire. You can see exactly why John Coleman should be lauded as one of the best manager's in the country.

Thought we battled hard. Hendrie stood out in the first half. A hand in both goals and a couple of excellent blocks. Mantom equally in the second half.

Theo worked tirelessly and that would have been some goal if that run and then return pass back to him was something he could have controlled and got his shot away. Cox continues to be the best player on the pitch. Always one step ahead of the game.

I thought Taylor Moore had an excellent second-half. We were a bit shaky to begin with, but once we scored we were a far better side.

Massive thumbs up to Dieng. He did brilliantly for the third goal, robbing their fella and playing Cox in who found Theo with a perfectly weighted pass.

Just one minor disappointment was SCP's reluctance to bring Hutchinson on until it was so late that he never touched the ball.

All in all, 3 valuable points and a performance of heart.

Onwards!

Last edited:
3-0 great win, I might see what odds I can get for Accrington to go down now, must be worth a punt as there form of 5 weeks ago has gone to pot, weren’t they 2nd or 3rd a few weeks ago:Hilarious:
They caused plenty of problems for our defence, they just couldn't finish their chances. If they keep creating chances like that they'll turn things around before the season is over and finish comfortably mid table.

Billy Kee is a big player for them, but seemed to be lacking confidence and never really got into the game. His off-field problems have been well documented, so could be a cause.

Once he starts scoring again, they won't have any problems.

Billy Kee is a big player for them, but seemed to be lacking confidence and never really got into the game. His off-field problems have been well documented, so could be a cause.

Once he starts scoring again, they won't have any problems.

Their forum has some good comments about us. They even said after third goal if there was any chance the game could be abandoned :ROFL::Smile:

I loved the bit about us being good at the 'dark arts'. It sounded as if we had some good spells in the match but I doubt they were dark arts inspired.

I loved the bit about us being good at the 'dark arts'. It sounded as if we had some good spells in the match but I doubt they were dark arts inspired.

I think they were talking about some of our tackles. Must be their funny lingo as I doubt we could use the word magic in the same sentence as SUFC just yet :Smile2:

Back