• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dull tedious and boring for 70 minutes, then came to life for the last twenty minutes and we destroyed them.

6 points off them in one season.

That'll do.

EDIT: In the excitement I didnt realise we hadnt scored till the 82nd minute, so dull for 80 minutes!

Last edited:
:stunned::nope:

Pitch invansion,red card,3 zip,Bolger should take up boxing !

Crap game but it was all brilliant!

At 60 mins I thought we were gong to concede, we went to bits. Wordsworth made a difference and scored a good goal and it was game over from then on.

Well done PB for changing to a 442 when wordy came on. Kamara took a while to get into the game but his short quick passes kept the ball moving well.

Barrett looked so happy after he scored and good finish from McQueen. At 75 mins, I would never have had us for a 3-0 win.

Great team performance today, Barrett, Bolger and Thommo were brilliant at the back, the wing backs ran all day.

Thought everyone played their part.

Tackle from Gilbey was a real shocker and that Southend fan who got to the Col Ewe fans, threw plenty of punches then made it back to the stand...how did that even happen. Mind you, the numpty fans throwing punches at Bolger was bang out of order, looks like he threw a few back though.

Match report: Southend United 3, Colchester United 0

THREE goals in the last eight minutes handed Southend United a dramatic 3-0 win against local rivals Colchester at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Sam McQueen quality, man of the match

Adam Barrett legend

Rocky Balboa quality but prob in jail next week :smile:

For 80 minutes there wasn't much to seperate the two teams and highlights were in short supply.
Thommo's early yellow card seemed harsh.
Their red from my one view of it looked harsh but ref was close and went red straight away.
We huffed and fluffed a lot, some good possession but all the players (both sides) worked very hard with closing down and tracking runners; very tight.
FWIW Col Ewe didn't look like a bottom of the table side but this league hasn't, from what I have seen got any real "lemons" or gash awful teams.
Phil made the changes, IMO to give fresh legs a run (and in case the ref wanted to balance the sides with another yellow for Thommo) AND it did start to swing the play.
WW took the shot and got the reward. 1-0
Barnett "missed" a gold plated chance from a Wozza cross.
We had better corners by Jack, & Barrett, 2-0
We broke with pace, Jack kept the ball alive and drew players to him, fed to the free & on rushing McQueen, 3-0

Game, Set and Match to The Mighty Shrimpers and well done PB.

No duff players for us, all worth 7s or 8s.

The game itself was ****. Everything else was top drawer. **** off Col u

Wow ! What a finish. Early yellow for Thompson, which I thought was deserved as he lunged in. I thought their red was harsh. Two footed, yes. But I thought he got the ball first. For me, a yellow for dangerous play. Still the ref was right next to it, whereas i'm 50 yards away and he instantly red carded him. Looking forward to seeing the replay tonight. Kamara came on for Lenny at HT and it took us a while to get our rythym back. It was the right call to go 4-4-2 and we took the game to them. Wordsworth hit a game winner and turned the game....well done lads.

Bentley 7...Pretty untroubled. Nice and tidy

Bolger 6.5 OK defensively, but the balls up to Barnett were poor.
Barrett 7 Good positioning. Marshalled the troops well. As above poor delivery at times
Thompson 7 The pick of the 3. Adapted well to the left side. Silly yelllow, but at least it shows he is committed.

O'Neill 7..Did uk down the right. Curled in a few beautiful crosses.
Lenny 7...Usual hardworking and powerful self. Went off injured.
Will 7..My word, did he put a shift in. Covered every blade of grass.
McQueen 6.5 Not a bad player. Kept things simple
Hendrie 6.5 Did ok, up and down the left side

Payne 6.5 Struggled a bit in the first half. gave the ball away a few times. When the game opened up at the end he was in his element, and he came to life.
Barnett 7...Service to him was pretty poor, but he always looked a danger

Subs :
Kamara 7..Quite slight for CM, but looks a talented player. Showed some nice touches and wasn't afraid to put a tackle in.
Wordsworth 7.5 (MOTM). Didn't even realise he was fit. Goals win matches, and his strike that put us 1-0 turned the game. We rose in confidence from then onwards
Worrall 7..Put in a couple of lovely crosses at the end. Was great to see him out there.

PB 8. I thought he got the selection right today and switched to 4-4-2 at the right time.

A dull game yes, a definite red card for Gilbey, in the second half Colchester offered nothing but were well organised at the back for a team that has conceded so many. As soon as Wordsworth came on we thought he'd score, it took until Worrall came on for us to come to life, and once we scored they collapsed. First time I've seen the new players that have joined in January, and they all impressed me.

Bentley 7 - Didn't have too much to do but a couple of important saves & calmed things down when it kicked off.
O'Neill 6 - Did ok, nothing special, luckily Colchester didn't offer much.
Bolger 7 - Solid. Nice punch too.
Thompson 7 - Also solid.
Barrett - 8.5 MOM - Commanded the backline really well and a goal to boot.
Hendrie 8 - Ran and Ran, great forward and good defending, very impressive
Leonard 6 - Let's hope his injury isn't too bad.
Atkinson 6.5 - All action.
McQueen 7 - In & out the game but showed some good touches and was a thorn in their side.
Payne 8 - Wasn't having his best of games but then created 3 goals!
Barnett 7 - Didn't really have any opportunities and dropped back a lot to get the ball, but he was physical and powerful & worked hard.

subs
Kamara 8 - Very impressive, protected the back 3 well, calm on the ball, passed well, must start next time.
Wordsworth 7.5 - What a goal,good to have him back.
Worrall 6.5 - Didn't get into the game much but we seemed to step up a gear when he came on.

Awful game for pretty much three quarters of it, terrible challenge on Lenny who was on crutches after half time, so a deserved red card as far as I was concerned. Barnett and Payne didn't seem to be on the same wavelength and there were some pretty rough moments in defence at times, however, the enforced change as a result of Lenny's injury, reverting back to a 4 man defence and the introduction of Wordsworth (though I'd have brought Worrall on at that point as we just weren't creating anything) stabilised things.

Bentley - 7, didn't have to do much, did what he needed to well
O'Neill - 8.5, my MOTM, one of the stand out players today, Johnny White is going to struggle to get back in!
Bolger - 8, a very solid and calm performance on the pitch, I won't comment on the off the pitch stuff as I didn't really see what led to it!
Thompson - 6, thought he was trying too hard and as a result making mistakes
Barrett - 7, got to love him, haven't you? Really lucky not to have been penalised for holding
Hendrie - 7, started well and had a good shot but looked to have tweaked something and was quieter after that
Atkinson - 7, thought he did ok and was unlucky to get subbed to be honest
Leonard - 7, was running things in the middle until injured
McQueen - 8, the birthday boy done good!
Payne - 6, thought he was really off the boil today, and he didn't even pass the ball for McQueen - the defender toed it to him
Barnett - 7, worked hard but without any great effect

Subs:
Kamara for Leonard - 7, did ok, but thought he bottled a few aerial challenges, also knew nothing about Worrall as failed to pass to him once
Wordsworth for Thompson - 7, Woody came in and did a good job, and became the 3rd ex-Col U to score against them for us this season!
Worrall for Atkinson - 7, first time he got the ball he put a great cross in, we really missed that today

For the whole of the first half I just could not see a goal coming from either side. Not even the Gilbey’s sending off on 36 minutes made a goal look likely. Up until that point Lenny had looked the pick of the Southend crop for me, but that tackle reduced him to a wounded soldier. The tackle on him was outrageous and deserved a red which the ref had out before half of the crowd got their brains round the tackle.

So, on to the second half. Glen Kamara came on for Lenny early on and from his first touch onwards he looked class and got better and better in my view. Next to take a bow was Wordsworth for Thompson as Brown obviously felt we needed a bit more attacking oomph against their ten men. And it worked very well. Once he had got a feel for the pace of the game he and Kamara started to hurt the Colchester defence with quick forward balls to Barnett and Payne. Then on 82 minutes came Wordsworth’s goal, and what a sweet one it was. Low and hard and no chance for the keeper. Cue Roots Hall crowd eruption.

Next Adam Barrett joined the goals club with a typical header and you could see from his celebrations that he wasn’t overly excited. And then finally McQueen finished off a hard working performance with the third and final goal. So from a situation where the match looked nailed on 0-0 we ended winning 3-0. It was not an outstanding performance but you can only beat what is put in front of you, and poor old Col Ewe looked totally lacking in confidence and goal scoring nous.

I suppose it wasn’t unexpected but a flare managed to set itself off at the back of the West stand near to the Col Ewe faithful to celebrate Wordsworth’s goal. Nevertheless the club may yet find itself in trouble for it. Equally so a small section of the Col Ewe fans had been looking for trouble from the opening whistle and they kept pushing the stewards but by and large it was kept under control...........until it wasn’t and whilst the stewards were trying to restore order, some total prat from the Southend crowd thought it would be a great idea to wander over and land a few punches in the Col Ewe crowd. Cue a little bit of chaos, the ref stopping the game and Adam and the lads calming things down. When will these children ever learn?

If Col Ewe keep this sort of performance up then this will be the last of the local derbies for a while. If we keep our winning steak going then the play-offs are not a dream.

Whoops, I forgot, Col Ewe fans tried to punch Bolger, Bolger tried to land a few back, unimpressed with the boxing style of either.

Although it wasn't our best performance it is never easy playing against two banks of four, always difficult to break down. When they conceded and searched for the equalizer it all opened up and two more went in. The key to these types of games is to get the first goal. Many times last season we met teams who parked the bus, can be very frustrating. Great to get the three points.

For 80 minutes there wasn't much to seperate the two teams and highlights were in short supply.
Thommo's early yellow card seemed harsh.
Their red from my one view of it looked harsh but ref was close and went red straight away.
We huffed and fluffed a lot, some good possession but all the players (both sides) worked very hard with closing down and tracking runners; very tight.
FWIW Col Ewe didn't look like a bottom of the table side but this league hasn't, from what I have seen got any real "lemons" or gash awful teams.
Phil made the changes, IMO to give fresh legs a run (and in case the ref wanted to balance the sides with another yellow for Thommo) AND it did start to swing the play.
WW took the shot and got the reward. 1-0
Barnett "missed" a gold plated chance from a Wozza cross.
We had better corners by Jack, & Barrett, 2-0
We broke with pace, Jack kept the ball alive and drew players to him, fed to the free & on rushing McQueen, 3-0

Game, Set and Match to The Mighty Shrimpers and well done PB.

No duff players for us, all worth 7s or 8s.
Agree with most of your opinion except this. I thought were were slow and boring and had we broke quicker we would have won more convincingly.

Typical Derby game.

Over the two games, both home and away, there does not, to my eye anyway, appear to be 17 places between the teams.

I thought Adam Thomson was our stand out player first half, unfortunate with the booking and defending manfully, both also popping uo on the bye line to get a great cross in that a defender got to, to put out for a corner. Also to impress was Barnett, but we didn't create too many chances and had Bentley to thank (and the cross bar) for going in goaless at HT. Gibley, who incidentally went to my sons school, though not the same year, got what his challenge deserved, a straight red.

2nd half we started the slower despite having the man advantage and Kamara looked useful pulling the strings in midfield, but we couldn't quite get a good effort on target despite good build up play. And then Wordsworth scored, well set up by Payne (beinf in cell block X my vision was impeded by a couple of oils standing on their seats in Block W!

However after the goal it all seems to have kicked off as a number of our supporters tried to get acquainted with their North County rivals. All a bit depressing really, especially grown men. Great to see the players come over and usher the fans back some of them were quite annoyed and understandably so, given that they had just worked hard to gain the advantage, the last thing they wanted was a full scale pitch invasion.

Agree with most of your opinion except this. I thought were were slow and boring and had we broke quicker we would have won more convincingly.

I dont think we could break quicker, they sat deep with 5 defenders and just soaked up what we had. There wasnt a lot of space to use any pace.

I was well impressed with Kamara. He took a few minutes to settle in, but then got better and better and started to run the show from midfield. He can clearly see a pass, and what I liked was that he tried to thread a few passes forward when he could. He will definitely get some assists playing like that. Normally our midfield passes sideways or backwards all the time, so it was nice to see a positive midfielder.

Typical Derby game.

Over the two games, both home and away, there does not, to my eye anyway, appear to be 17 places between the teams.

I thought Adam Thomson was our stand out player first half, unfortunate with the booking and defending manfully, both also popping uo on the bye line to get a great cross in that a defender got to, to put out for a corner. Also to impress was Barnett, but we didn't create too many chances and had Bentley to thank (and the cross bar) for going in goaless at HT. Gibley, who incidentally went to my sons school, though not the same year, got what his challenge deserved, a straight red.

2nd half we started the slower despite having the man advantage and Kamara looked useful pulling the strings in midfield, but we couldn't quite get a good effort on target despite good build up play. And then Wordsworth scored, well set up by Payne (beinf in cell block X my vision was impeded by a couple of oils standing on their seats in Block W!

However after the goal it all seems to have kicked off as a number of our supporters tried to get acquainted with their North County rivals. All a bit depressing really, especially grown men. Great to see the players come over and usher the fans back some of them were quite annoyed and understandably so, given that they had just worked hard to gain the advantage, the last thing they wanted was a full scale pitch invasion.
It wasn't even close to a full scale pitch invasion. The inbreds were goading us from the start and they kicked it all off by trying to break through the stewards, whilst not condoning it I can understand why some of our fans reacted the way they did. Maybe the silly little boys at the front will think twice next time as they took a good slapping from one guy on his own.

Back