• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Ebbsfleet

One thing I forgot was about the tribute to Bobby Charlton. In all the years I've been going to football I don't think I've ever heard such silence in a ground. Even with the best intentions there's always a bit of background noise but last night absolutely nothing.

Credit to all.

One thing in particular I noticed when winning his headers is where the ball was ending up.

A few times it was headed straight down into the path of the nearest Ebbsfleet player.

I know it can't always be helped, but the best defenders will try to clear the ball into areas where a teammate can fight for possession.

I think he will be tested much more by Boring Wood this Saturday.
The young guy is currently playing his second game. coming from an academy... He is picking up his skills. two games without a goal….

The young guy is currently playing his second game. coming from an academy... He is picking up his skills. two games without a goal….
Well aware of that, and he's done well in general especially since I was told he looked out of his depth on trial at Hemel Hempstead previously (NLS).

Just making an observation on where he could improve.

I'm amazed by the Brooklyn praise. He was our weakest link by some distance for me last night. Yes he's got some talent, but is clearly still very raw. Can't believe I'm seeing 8 and 9's out of 10?

6 out of every 10 passes were misplaced. He looked generally uncomfortable when the ball was on the deck. I felt he was a mistake waiting to happen all evening. Kensdale's amazing block stopped them from scoring from his calamitous error if I remember correctly.

That being said he also did some stuff very well. Used his body to his advantage when the opposition tried to gain a yard on him. Won his headers.

A fair rating would be a 6 IMO not 8 or 9. No way can you give him the same rating tonight as you were giving Noor Saturday
Really interesting you perceived his performance that way. He made numerous tackles, an array of headers and cleared a certain goal from nestling into the top corner with a great header.

I wouldn't call it a calamitous error when Kensdale had to block. Brooklyn was a little unlucky when making a tackle, it rebounded off their players legs. Was hardly a Solihull keeper error.

He was part of a strong unit that achieved a great clean sheet. Awarding him a 6 is not justified at all. There may be some justification in not hyping him too much just yet I agree but to say he was a 6 implies he didn't have a good game at all, which isn't true in the slightest. Maher concurred with that in his interview. Gus, who got the man of the match, said that Brooklyn should have got it as he was 'outstanding'.

Last edited:
Football is a beautiful game all about opinions! My comments may have sounded harsh. I still think he's got real potential and could develop very nicely. Boywonder in post 65 and the following conversation sums him up nicely. Does some stuff well, but definitely the player in possession who gave me the most jitters last night. So the 9/10's just seem astounding.
I personally judged him based on his experience (or lack of) and the fact he’s just stepped in and it was his first full game. Agree a 9 seems high but when we win aren’t the ratings always a bit generous? To me, the kid looks a unit, not just good in the air but good with his feet, quick and not scared to get stuck in. Of course he’s also raw and will need fine tuning. Agree with @hlane17 above, Saturday will be a bigger test. Kudos where it’s due though.

All in all a bit of a "show pony"
Whenever Josh played for us I thought his main priority was to check that his hair was looking as immaculately coiffured as when he last looked in the dressing room mirror. Definitely fell into the category of stealing a living. From the reports of last night nothing seems to have changed.

He was part of a strong unit that achieved a great clean sheet. Awarding him a 6 is not justified at all. There may be some justification in not hyping him too much just yet I agree but to say he was a 6 implies he didn't have a good game at all, which isn't true in the slightest. Maher concurred with that in his interview. Gus, who got the man of the match, said that Brooklyn should have got it as he was 'outstanding'.
Shall we call it a 7 and leave it at that
Agree a 9 seems high but when we win aren’t the ratings always a bit generous? To me, the kid looks a unit, not just good in the air but good with his feet, quick and not scared to get stuck in. Of course he’s also raw and will need fine tuning. Agree with @hlane17 above, Saturday will be a bigger test. Kudos where it’s due though.
This is a very good point, I always tend to rate players a number or 2 below the majority. When we win there is definitely an element of getting carried away.

The ratings at Solihull and Ebbsfleet are similar to one another, but the performance Saturday was far superior IMO.

FWIW I like Brooklyn and agree with some of the praise he's received. I also admit I hadn't noticed that header off the line until seeing the highlights earlier. I know he'll only get better and I'm not meaning to criticise at all.

Long term he could be a gem, but given the option I'd choose Ralph over him every day of the week for the short term. Ralph started the season brilliantly.

Like I said earlier Football would be boring if we all agreed with one another.

Not much to add that others haven't said already.

I actually thought the game itself was quite a boring affair and whilst they did have a few good moments and half chances our moments were of real quality.

The boys looks tired and who can blame them. The very very pleasing thing for me coming away from the hall last night was that much like other good seasons of times passed it was a win without really looking stretched for it. A leggy performance not at 100% still lead to us walking out of there with a clean sheet, 3 more on the GF column, and a comfortable evening.

I thought Hayes looked much more solid on Saturday, maybe a bit of the weather, Tuesday night jitters etc but couple of times he should have caught and some of his kicking was a bit off.

Another game chalked off as we head towards our salvation date with another 3 points. If we can keep ticking along while we wait for some reinforcements it will have been some miracle and then it really is on for the play off push.

May be an image of ‎1 person, playing American football, playing football and ‎text that says ‎London Shrimper Captain's performance tonight Gus Morriss, what a find in the lower eagues by John Still. Consistently turns up every week. Defensively sound, but provides goals & assists too. His best years are ahead of him. Love his passion. Bleeds blue English Cafu Isolopress ത ک‎‎‎

Whenever Josh played for us I thought his main priority was to check that his hair was looking as immaculately coiffured as when he last looked in the dressing room mirror. Definitely fell into the category of stealing a living. From the reports of last night nothing seems to have changed.

I didn’t realise he was playing for then until around the 90th minute last night, that illustrates how anonymous he is.

I think when he left Southend United he went to Bradford City where he was made captain pre-season. I thought have they found the "good player" that he was supposed to be?

My memory (which is often wrong) tells me that a few disasterous games later the manager was allowed to seek employment elsewhere ........... followed by Josh moving on as well.

I think when he left Southend United he went to Bradford City where he was made captain pre-season. I thought have they found the "good player" that he was supposed to be?

My memory (which is often wrong) tells me that a few disasterous games later the manager was allowed to seek employment elsewhere ........... followed by Josh moving on as well.
when we played Bradford that season he made Tim Dieng - who had left them for us - look like Pirlo

Back