• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3, Shrewsbury Town 0

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United surged to the top of the League Two table with an emphatic 3-0 win over Shrewsbury Town at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

Didn't think 3-0 flattered us... ok, 2 penalties and a lucky 2nd but we missed plenty of good chances. Dickinson diving header in first half then point blank save from same player, Leonard in front of North Bank, Ferdinand from inside the box, Grant effort just wide... had tons of chances to bury Shrewsbury long before injury time when the second went in.

You can see the confidence flooding through the players. Special mention for Kalala, Timlin, Barker and Dickinson who I thought were all phenomenal tonight.

We are a very good side.

Didn't think 3-0 flattered us... ok, 2 penalties and a lucky 2nd but we missed plenty of good chances. Dickinson diving header in first half then point blank save from same player, Leonard in front of North Bank, Ferdinand from inside the box, Grant effort just wide... had tons of chances to bury Shrewsbury long before injury time when the second went in.

You can see the confidence flooding through the players. Special mention for Kalala, Timlin, Barker and Dickinson who I thought were all phenomenal tonight.

We are a very good side.

True, though like Northampton we were almost punished for not making the most of being the better team when they thumped the underside of the bar at 1-0.

Dickinson seems to be getting sharper and sharper and looks a mobile target with decent feet. Nice of him to give up the penalty if he had a say in Harris taking it (Though personally Id rather we stick with the main taker taking them...).

Timlin too looks to be getting sharper. Kalala broke up a lot of play like a (Very) poor man's Makele.....he isnt great on ball but broke down a lot of moves. Leonard was a bit quiet and his throws are not relly that threatening but he works hard. Harris's movement was superb (though he tired a lot in second half).

We didn't exactly set world alight with our football, but we limited the team in second place to one decent chance andd had plenty ourselves. That is pretty good going. Especially when we had Hall, Grant, Moshni and Sturrock on the bench and Prosser and Johnson not in the squad. Encouraging. We don't look good enough to blow this league away with fantasy football we do look like a well set out team, 4 games without conceding and we have enough nous, physical presence and ability to beat a lot of teams in this division.

Good team performance tonight and looked the better team.

It was mentioned a few weeks back that Dickinson can't head a ball. That was blown out of the water tonight. He won everything in the air and is good with the ball at his feet too. Dickinson and Harris are starting to get a good understanding going as well. Harris is showing his footballing brain more and more with little lay-offs and then making the space for himself.

Kalala swept up in front of the back 4, broke up play and generally was a pain for the opposition. Timlin looks sharp and is a willing runner. Leonard had a steady if unspectacular game and Kane the same, tho a bit sloppy at times.

The back 4 were solid, Gilbert looks a different player, shows what a bit of confidence can do. Phillips and Barker just command so well and Clohessy just does what he does without any fuss. Morris did well too, no real problems for him.

There was a lot of good football played by the team tonight, for anyone that still thinks Sturrock is a hoof merchant, tonight's performance should dispel that

Any aspiring manager could look at tonight and the Rotherham game as textbook ways to win home and away. Tactics, shape, team selection absolutely spot on from Luggy. Seeing now why he has won 2 promotions in this division, and why Plymouth broke the 100 point barrier with him in charge. As good back to back victories as we have had for a long time.

First and foremost stop the opposition playing and cut the supply to the forwards. Both Shrews wingers were anonymous tonight, Morgan and Collins shackled superbly by the Bearded ones. Morris' handling imamculate, he looks to have got over the errors of early season and looks the best keeper in the division.
Full backs did well (but please Gilbert no more corners).
Midfield all excellent, worked their nuts off. JPK in particular followed their number 4 like a bee round honey, never giving him any time on the ball. Kane couldve done better with two chances but he, Timlin and Leonard worked so hard and when we broke they were getting up their in the box, swapping positions, was great to see.
Thought the front 2 did really well first half but struggled second. My one gripe would be that would still like to see a striker with a bit of pace, think we couldve got behind them a bit more if so. Dickinson looks so cool with his pens and nice to see him give Harris the ball at the end.

As for the subs, well Hall for me no surprise he came on, first free kick he takes goal and first run at the defence we get a pen. The guy is class but for now would keep him on the bench as those 11 who started played ever so well.

Also a mention for the ref, why is it that so many people on here seem to think they know the refs inside out, and pre-judge them before the game. Arent refs allowed to have bad games like players? Thought Mr Ward was excellent tonight and a good example of how to let a game flow in this division.

All in all excellent stuff, as FBM said we are a very good side. Didnt Coughlan say we would hit top gear after 10 games? 4 games 4 wins now, no goals conceded and frankly we have battered two of our promotion rivals. All this with Hall, Grant, Mohsni on the bench, Prosser, JJ and Coughlan not in the squad and Corr and Sawyer injured. Thats nearly a decent XI in itself! We saw how ordinary we have made Shrews and Roherham look, lets take this division!

Great start to the weekend and mention also to the blue voice and the non stop singing and all the ballooons etc. Great effort from Smiffy,True Blue on the drum and everyone who contributed to a great evenings entertainment.

Definitely the better team this evening. Frustrated by some of the finishing though....Really thought it would cost us, and it nearly did when they hit the woodwork!!! I guess I will put my positive head on and say that on another day, when it does "click" for our forwards, we really can beat anyone in the division.....

Great win!!! Hopefully Morecambe fail to win tomorrow and keep us top for a week!

Oh and can we please make every home game a friday night, atmosphere is different class. Last time we lost on a friday night at home anyone?

All we need is Torquay to get a draw or win against Morcambe and we should still be top come Sunday (Barring a massive Crawley win).

10 goals and 4 clean sheets in 4 games. Seems like its all coming together now and its great to see us at the top of the table!!

Glad to see Harris on the score sheet for the 2nd time in a row too!

Fabulous result and the Echo got the MOTM spot on, thought Kalala was fantastic. Very impressed with the clear understanding that is developing between Harris and Dickinson, Bazza must be watching in huge disappointment. Timlin and Kalala were both very good in the midfield, Timlin showing di Canio now what he failed to recognise in him. Fingers crossed that's not going to work against us as I'd love to see his move made permanent. Leonard and Ferdinand both a little quiet in comparison, but steady and professional in their application. The back 4, well, Barker was imperious in the air, Phillips made Marvin Morgan anonymous and Gilly showed great adaptability - corners at the South end were ok, but the steeper run up at the North made his corners useless - something they need to work on. Glenn Morris had another great game, last season I thought he was not that great but he really seems to have grown in stature and ability recently.

Overall, it may be a flattering scoreline but I'd say it was deserved. Two clear penalties and a lucky rebound. Really pleased that although Harris won the first pen he made a point of giving the ball to Dicko, and then when Hally won the second and wanted to take it, Dicko took the ball and gave it to Harris. Great comradeship.

A word for Mr Ward, very officious and fussy, but he had a decent game. Still winds me up something chronic though!

thought we looked very good in the first half, we slowed down a bit during the second but hall and grant both looked up for it when they got on :) glad to see harris get a goal at the hall

anyone else spot a bentley with the registration hooop3r?? i wonder who that could be

thought we looked very good in the first half, we slowed down a bit during the second but hall and grant both looked up for it when they got on :) glad to see harris get a goal at the hall

anyone else spot a bentley with the registration hooop3r?? i wonder who that could be
Too many Os surely!!? No, but I did spot one with MJS 296 on and wondered about it
Has anyone noticed the SZ header :smile:
Whoever owns up to it gets some green!

No lie, in the South Upper there were two guys moaning about everything that we did, when Phillips scored, they got up and walked out!

Otherwise, great night. Great atmosphere too.

MOM TBV, 11/10.

TheMarkPhillips Mark Phillips

Got to say the support was unreal tonight-thank you to all the fans

CJPhillips1982 Chris Phillips

Sturrock:"The score-line flattered us but we're pleased. The fans were fantastic and definitely played a part in this win."

Back