• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend United All-Time Draft QF4

Who would win out of Team A and Team B?

• Team A

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Team B

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More over the weekend when I get some photos together including one of Peter Watson's testimonial, which was played against an International Managers XI

Another very close one but team A edges it.
in what way? There's so much space in midfield for my team to control the play. Ansah and Forbes will play so wide there's only one midfielder against two. Maher and Pountney will just work to give the ball to Gower or Ling to pop the ball over to Donut/Macca. Easy.

Another very close one but team A edges it.

No way. Look at how unbalanced Team A’s midfield is: two wingers and a single central midfielder is going to get overrun.

Dave Smith will have Team B organised, Pountney and Maher will run that midfield and Gower and Ling will then create chances.

It’s only Team B’s weakness in goal that is keeping it close.

No way. Look at how unbalanced Team A’s midfield is: two wingers and a single central midfielder is going to get overrun.

Dave Smith will have Team B organised, Pountney and Maher will run that midfield and Gower and Ling will then create chances.

It’s only Team B’s weakness in goal that is keeping it close.

Eh? I would’ve have gone for him had he not gone before I had my chance to pick him.

Eastwood, Corr, Timlin, Ansah, Barrett, Cort, Sammy!

Those 7 alone cause any team trouble, we have free kick takers and an abundance of players who can score from corners.

Anyone else but this man and I might have agreed with you...

1509730-32191777-2560-1440.jpg

Not that it is all about stats but there is only a 10 goal difference between the 2 teams yet a huge difference in number of appearances. That suggests, to me at least, team A would triumph in a high scoring game

Not that it is all about stats but there is only a 10 goal difference between the 2 teams yet a huge difference in number of appearances. That suggests, to me at least, team A would triumph in a high scoring game

Hmmm. The majority of my appearances are from my full-backs who never went over the halfway line.

in what way? There's so much space in midfield for my team to control the play. Ansah and Forbes will play so wide there's only one midfielder against two. Maher and Pountney will just work to give the ball to Gower or Ling to pop the ball over to Donut/Macca. Easy.

Very solid defence and keeper, they can play long balls into the channels or centrally to Barry Corr. Then you have Freddy in his prime who can create something from nothing. It would be close and the vote so far reflects that SZ as a whole thinks the same as me.

I think people are misremembering the fact that Barrett regularly got caught out and had to make last ditch tackles. Or Keith Dublin.

Hmmm. The majority of my appearances are from my full-backs who never went over the halfway line.

Even so, there is a difference of over 1300 appearances. The goals to game ratio is huge! Perhaps in part because of the lack of an attacking threat from the full backs

I think people are misremembering the fact that Barrett regularly got caught out and had to make last ditch tackles. Or Keith Dublin.

But Barrett certainly chipped in with the goals, in this situation he has the solid Leon Cort to back him up.

1544097366578.jpeg

1544097410349.jpeg

1544097452182.jpeg

These 3 alone have brought us some of the greatest memories of recent times!

Naps - think you need to tell us more about Sandy Anderson, Peter Watson and Ron Pountney and what made them such legends.

Ricey - ditto on Les Stubbs. Not sure how many will have heard of him, much less be aware of how he's a worthy selection.

Les Stubbs was brought to my attention by a guy I used to work with. He is his uncle and told me all about him. He was playing at Great Wakering and was a local lad to the area. He impressed whilst at Wakering and in 1948 was signed by us where he enjoyed a happy time between 1948 and 1952 in which he managed to make 83 appearances and scored 40 a goal scoring ratio any of our current crop would be very proud of. His performances were noticed by Chelsea and they signed him for £10,000 in 1952 which of course back then was a huge amount for a club like ours. He later returned to Southend in 1958 making 22 appearances and scoring 3 goals. He was known for being an inside forward and his early spell with us showed how prolific he could be.

His biggest achievement was being part of the 1954-55 Old Division One (now premier league) winning Chelsea team. Not many ex Southend players can claim to have a top flight winners medal. Unfortunately he passed at the age of 81 having suffered in his later life with dementia.

Les Stubbs was brought to my attention by a guy I used to work with. He is his uncle and told me all about him. He was playing at Great Wakering and was a local lad to the area. He impressed whilst at Wakering and in 1948 was signed by us where he enjoyed a happy time between 1948 and 1952 in which he managed to make 83 appearances and scored 40 a goal scoring ratio any of our current crop would be very proud of. His performances were noticed by Chelsea and they signed him for £10,000 in 1952 which of course back then was a huge amount for a club like ours. He later returned to Southend in 1958 making 22 appearances and scoring 3 goals. He was known for being an inside forward and his early spell with us showed how prolific he could be.

His biggest achievement was being part of the 1954-55 Old Division One (now premier league) winning Chelsea team. Not many ex Southend players can claim to have a top flight winners medal. Unfortunately he passed at the age of 81 having suffered in his later life with dementia.

:Thumbs up:

One of my favourite selections. By no means an obvious one but what great pedigree.

Harold Halse is the only other player I can think of who after Southend went onto win the League title (possibly Prince Blott who went to Man U along with Halse, but not sure if he'd have played enough games to have qualified for a medal). Can anyone think of any others?

There will be a few (Ronnie Whelan most obviously), who played for Southend on the way down after having won a League medal.

Back