• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Phil Brown pleased with first team coach applicants but one role won't be replaced

Hhmmm, so U23's get 1 day a week with Fagan, 1 with PB, whose going to manage them, and coach them the other days?

Am I the only one who thinks this makes sense. I don't think this report made a lot of sense to be honest, then I thought about it. Most of the under 23's are in or around the first team anyway, why separate them.

I'm guessing CF will see over them but Brown also. It doesn't seem a bad idea, some of these guys will be needed in the coming months.

The U23s will contain the new cohort of 7 third year scholars offered deals, plus any fringe players. To train them all with the first team won’t happen and shouldn’t.

I really hope we get Halford/JD on a coaching role to oversee this, because stretching staff for the sake of cost is part of what has led to the current state of the club.

Am I the only one who thinks this makes sense. I don't think this report made a lot of sense to be honest, then I thought about it. Most of the under 23's are in or around the first team anyway, why separate them.

I'm guessing CF will see over them but Brown also. It doesn't seem a bad idea, some of these guys will be needed in the coming months.
You are right it does. But the reflex reaction is it must be something else to complain about.

I tell you if I was in the u23s and twice a week I was going to train under the first team manager and assistant manager I would think what an opportunity. The new first team coach will also probably take them - plus as you say a number will be involved in some training with the first team squad/or from time to time be in the first team squad.

And the u23s will be coached exactly as per the first team meaning it will be easier to step up.

Makes a good deal of sense

Hhmmm, so U23's get 1 day a week with Fagan, 1 with PB, whose going to manage them, and coach them the other days?

Who is going to manage them when the firsts are playing the same day?

It seems to me to be the prelude to wrapping up the academy when we fail to get promoted and the academy funding stops.

The under 23's have been part of our first team over the last couple of years.

Have they?

Were players like Jon Benton, Ide Osimeh, O'Shane Stewart, Reiss Chandler, Issa Mpenga, Freddy Eastwood? Or were they in a separate bubble during Covid?

I know a few were promoted - and then the likes of Mitchell-Nelson, Gard and Kinali had their registrations cancelled and were pushed back to the u23s.

We had players under the age of 23 in our first team but I think Matt Rush was the only player to make two or more starts for both the u23s and the first last season. That seems to be me to be quite separate.

Back