• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin not a fan of 'restrictive' salary cap

Is the salary cap just based on the weekly wage? If signing on fees are not included then there is already a loop hole, say A player wants 1.5k per week but you can only afford 1k per week under the cap, so you say we will give you 1k per week but also give you 500 quid a week as a signing fee or loyalty payment (call it what ever) Therefore you then bypass the salary cap.

I would have thought there are caveats in the rules covering this but if not then ........

What does the cap cover?

It covers basic wages, taxes, bonuses, image rights, agents’ fees and other fees and expenses paid directly or indirectly to all registered players.

Promotion bonuses, cup competition success payments and severance pay will not be included.

What other exemptions or exclusions are there?

Players under 21 are excluded from the cap calculations. Deals agreed before the vote are exempt, as is any renewal of that deal on the same terms if the player is still under 24 at that point.

There is also a relegated player exemption. Any deal agreed with a player no later than the end of the January transfer window in the season the club are relegated will be taken into account.

– What if there is a slight overspend?

Clubs will be fined on a sliding scale if the breach is anywhere up to five per cent over the agreed cap. The money will then be split amongst the clubs in that league who had complied with the cap.

– What if the overspend is more serious?

The club would be referred to an independent disciplinary commission, which could impose sanctions if the salary cap breach is proved.

They are paying the forward they signed form Swindon massive amounts of money, think they thought it wouldnt be in this season
The Doyle deal shouldn't be affected if I'm reading the rules right - probably why they got it done so early.

A salary cap is a sticking plaster. The massive elephant in the room is the unfair distribution of TV money, if you split that more evenly, it would solve just about every problem in football.

But of course the Premier League will never give that up and there's nobody to force them.

For me, there needs to be an independent regulator for football, and the Premier League (as an administrative entity) needs to be abolished and the 92 clubs to come under one organisation again. It is absurd that you have two different entities running the professional game. It's the only way the game's many problems can be solved.

I applaud the attempts to implement a salary cap. Should eventually stop Clubs, spending money they haven't got, chasing unlikely dreams. Something we seem very good at doing.
A salary cap is a good idea in principle but the one size fits all approach the EFL has gone with makes no sense to me. Sunderland make millions in revenue, they could easily spend over the cap and be sustainable, why should they have the same restriction as a club that averages 2500 fans? The cap should be a percentage of turnover.

A salary cap is a good idea in principle but the one size fits all approach the EFL has gone with makes no sense to me. Sunderland make millions in revenue, they could easily spend over the cap and be sustainable, why should they have the same restriction as a club that averages 2500 fans? The cap should be a percentage of turnover.

Can’t have a % of turnover as that is open to abuse as Man City to name just one have exploited it. I do agree however that it should be adjustable some how, even if its 2.5m plus a small % of gate receipt income or something similar.

1.5m and 2.5m are just unrealistic numbers for 25 players including fees etc.

Also worth noting that the cost of living in and around Southend is far higher than some places up north, so that salary cap will stretch a lot further than it will for us.

What other exemptions or exclusions are there?

Players under 21 are excluded from the cap calculations.

Just as well we're playing so many under-21s then......

Also worth noting that the cost of living in and around Southend is far higher than some places up north, so that salary cap will stretch a lot further than it will for us.

yep your right there, there's a house for sale down the road for me with 12 bedrooms all with their own bathrooms for £600k, there are terraced houses for sale in southend for more than that.

Mind you for some reason people like to live in london so there is that aspect which helps attract players

The real trick is enforcing a salary cap.
In rugby union, abuse was rife, and it took 21 years before Saracens' blatant disregard was rightly punished.
However, the principle is sound.
The fact money buys the Premier League title cheapens the product, especially as the clubs who can afford it is getting smaller by the season.
Remember the 'big six'? More like the big three in 2020.
Once a decade you might have a Leicester-like challenge: so I'd rather life at our end of the scale be a bit more competitive.

Back