• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United Club Structure.

Hey Guys

Think it's important to set out briefly what we are trying to achieve in the football department as it would be easy to solely focus on a Manager/Head Coach and be dragged into "Messiah" syndrome.

The club favours the Head Coach model. Works with the players, motivates, leads and organises them. Their primary role.

There were several excellent candidates in this regard but the panel, 4 very different men as discussed, were unanimous on one candidates quite stunning in depth analysis of the club, playing staff and what he'd do to change outcomes from day one.

We haven't solely been interviewing Head Coaches however.

Assistant Head Coach

Head of Recruitment

Head of Football Operations

First Team Coach

Scouting

Are also positions that would create a football department which addresses quickly the lack of recruitment success in recent years, a non existent scouting network, giving the Head Coach the required quality team at Boots and Laces on the grass ( we are no longer automatically taking a Head Coaches 35 staff as a gimme. They must fit what Southend United need), a pathway for talented coaches at the club to succeed with us and a Head of Football Operations who knits everything together alongside and into other areas of the club that need support.

It is a complete restructuring of a football club. And as such comes with risk, turbulence and great challenges.

But having spoken to several Chief Executives, Owners, Directors of Football at progressive clubs across the pyramid, every single one has pointed to a significant change of fortunes which is attributed to a change of mentality and structure.

The messiah employed as the benign dictator to oversee every part of the club is dead. To create a sustainable future for Southend United is going to take an incredible amount of hard work but also patience and a change of mindset from you guys, particularly those who are used to the "he goes, he comes in and changes our fortunes". This way of doing things is playing Russian roulette and we simply can't afford to anymore. We need clarity. We need structure. We need to maximise every single part of the club in order to compete, consolidate and then succeed.

So a Head Coach is incredibly important, but his importance will be measured on improving players, improving the working mood at Roots Hall and Boots and Laces, identifying areas of improvement and then receiving a basket laden with first pick players from around the nation from the Head of Recruitment to do that.

I spoke to the players before, at half time and after the game. I told them that I felt the way some of them had been treated was appalling. I told them of my own experiences in wonderful dressing rooms that were vibrant and supportive and of dressing rooms that were broken and left every man for himself. I promised them this would change and that their working environment would improve immediately, they would be listened to, helped and improved as footballers and human beings. A promise.

I believe through a thorough and diligent process that we have found not one, but several parts of a jigsaw that will serve your club incredibly well.

But you have to fulfill your part of the deal. Support the changes we are making. Trust the hard work that's been done in good faith, in your name. Do your own due diligence on the names that come into the club and ask them questions, you'll have the opportunity to very quickly, I promise.

Every single person that is the front runner for the roles above I have looked into their eyes and said "Will you give Southend United 24/7 to turn this around "

All not only said yes but said yes with a pride and enthusiasm that will serve us well if supported from top to bottom.

You guys, I'll be meeting you, talking to you, explaining to you in person until you see every why, wherefore and how as clear as day. That's my promise to all of you. You'll get it, you'll see it, you'll know it.

But please, please throw the last Southend United messiah in the bin and close it. We are now a modern, progressive, adult football club that will work transparently in a system to make sure we take steps forward together, not 2 forward and 5 back.

Be patient, ask questions, support every single Southend United employee. And we have a real chance.

Stan

Another great post.

So pleased that we finally are starting to act like a club that wants to move forward and not just hedge our bets on the next manager and so on...

We have great fans at this level and those above.

Although most of us will be bitterly dissapointed to leave roots hall, we know that if we are ever to sustain a higher level of football, then we must leave for pastures new.

I look forward to seeing what a positive structure can bring.

Hey Guys

Think it's important to set out briefly what we are trying to achieve in the football department as it would be easy to solely focus on a Manager/Head Coach and be dragged into "Messiah" syndrome.

The club favours the Head Coach model. Works with the players, motivates, leads and organises them. Their primary role.

There were several excellent candidates in this regard but the panel, 4 very different men as discussed, were unanimous on one candidates quite stunning in depth analysis of the club, playing staff and what he'd do to change outcomes from day one.

We haven't solely been interviewing Head Coaches however.

Assistant Head Coach

Head of Recruitment

Head of Football Operations

First Team Coach

Scouting

Are also positions that would create a football department which addresses quickly the lack of recruitment success in recent years, a non existent scouting network, giving the Head Coach the required quality team at Boots and Laces on the grass ( we are no longer automatically taking a Head Coaches 35 staff as a gimme. They must fit what Southend United need), a pathway for talented coaches at the club to succeed with us and a Head of Football Operations who knits everything together alongside and into other areas of the club that need support.

It is a complete restructuring of a football club. And as such comes with risk, turbulence and great challenges.

But having spoken to several Chief Executives, Owners, Directors of Football at progressive clubs across the pyramid, every single one has pointed to a significant change of fortunes which is attributed to a change of mentality and structure.

The messiah employed as the benign dictator to oversee every part of the club is dead. To create a sustainable future for Southend United is going to take an incredible amount of hard work but also patience and a change of mindset from you guys, particularly those who are used to the "he goes, he comes in and changes our fortunes". This way of doing things is playing Russian roulette and we simply can't afford to anymore. We need clarity. We need structure. We need to maximise every single part of the club in order to compete, consolidate and then succeed.

So a Head Coach is incredibly important, but his importance will be measured on improving players, improving the working mood at Roots Hall and Boots and Laces, identifying areas of improvement and then receiving a basket laden with first pick players from around the nation from the Head of Recruitment to do that.

I spoke to the players before, at half time and after the game. I told them that I felt the way some of them had been treated was appalling. I told them of my own experiences in wonderful dressing rooms that were vibrant and supportive and of dressing rooms that were broken and left every man for himself. I promised them this would change and that their working environment would improve immediately, they would be listened to, helped and improved as footballers and human beings. A promise.

I believe through a thorough and diligent process that we have found not one, but several parts of a jigsaw that will serve your club incredibly well.

But you have to fulfill your part of the deal. Support the changes we are making. Trust the hard work that's been done in good faith, in your name. Do your own due diligence on the names that come into the club and ask them questions, you'll have the opportunity to very quickly, I promise.

Every single person that is the front runner for the roles above I have looked into their eyes and said "Will you give Southend United 24/7 to turn this around "

All not only said yes but said yes with a pride and enthusiasm that will serve us well if supported from top to bottom.

You guys, I'll be meeting you, talking to you, explaining to you in person until you see every why, wherefore and how as clear as day. That's my promise to all of you. You'll get it, you'll see it, you'll know it.

But please, please throw the last Southend United messiah in the bin and close it. We are now a modern, progressive, adult football club that will work transparently in a system to make sure we take steps forward together, not 2 forward and 5 back.

Be patient, ask questions, support every single Southend United employee. And we have a real chance.

Stan

Thank you, Stan. Fully behind this with optimism and looking forward to Daggers away on Saturday. Up the Shrimpers.

One thing coming through here, amongst others, is that SUFC isn't being seen as a dead duck. People in the game - professionals - seem willing to want to come here and be a part of something (in the eyes of the supporters especially) new. A bright and promising future beckons.....

One thing coming through here, amongst others, is that SUFC isn't being seen as a dead duck. People in the game - professionals - seem willing to want to come here and be a part of something (in the eyes of the supporters especially) new. A bright and promising future beckons.....
I've been overwhelmed by how many people in the game have called me, emailed or text saying "Good luck big fella, Southend is a great club, hope they're back soon "

None would need to say that if they didn't mean it.

I've had Southend supporting scouts who currently work for Premier League clubs going to Wealdstone last week in order to send me a free full scouting report which I passed on to technical staff Saturday night.

That's how loved YOUR club is, that's how much people want to see the club back in the league.

And you should all be very proud that your club is viewed that way!

We are now a modern, progressive, adult football club that will work transparently in a system to make sure we take steps forward together, not 2 forward and 5 back.
This is unbelievably exciting and something a fair few of us have recognised and called for for a few years now. A much more sustainable and efficient business model that looks long term, and not just a quick fix it now approach.

Honestly I don't care too much who fills the roles (within reason), having a proper structure at the club that gives hope for a better future excites me more than enough!

Thanks Stan. Up The Blues, roll on Daggers away!

Last edited:
This is all I needed to hear.

I LOVED Kevin Maher the player, but if it is to be him, I was pretty underwhelmed - until I read this.

I'm now 100% on board and going to trust in the restructuring of the club. Maher may be the figure head, but sounds like the support team going around him is as exciting and all part of a bigger Jigsaw.

I'm sure when Brentford appointed Thomas Frank, their fans said "who?" and "thats underwhelming, we are in trouble etc"...

In Stan we trust.

Stan, is the club actively interviewing for the Head of Football Operations role or is there someone very much in mind for that already?

Hey Guys

Stan

Sensational. It is worth getting this post on the official site this week and in next Tuesday's programme so it reaches as far and wide as possible.

Back