• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United extend loan spell of QPR defender Deon Woodman

Very happy with this. I really rate the lad and would love to see him in the squad next season. Another brilliant find, albeit a loan. Right now, perfect backup for Kens in case his injury doesnt get better. Could probably shift him forward as cover for Husin i feel, he liked to step out of defence with the ball from what i saw of him.

It's a strange one. Central defence is our strongest department. Crowther had one nightmare game, but before that he looked League One class. Kens and Taylor are undroppable when playing like they did on Tuesday. Woodman was excellent when he played and deserves to be starting games to progress his career. Will he get the minutes he deserves here?

If I'm going to be brutally honest here, do I think we need him next season? - No. He has plugged a hole we had through injury but he is not a step up on what we have already.

If I'm going to be brutally honest here, do I think we need him next season? - No. He has plugged a hole we had through injury but he is not a step up on what we have already.
Can't agree with this. Many on here said keeper Colin was no good but he has turning into an excellent goal keeper with great prospects. This lad has excellent long term prospects in opinion.

Can't agree with this. Many on here said keeper Colin was no good but he has turning into an excellent goal keeper with great prospects. This lad has excellent long term prospects in opinion.
I agree, Collin did have his critics (not me) but he was already a Southend player. Woodman is not, and he would need to dislodge Crowther, Kensdale, Taylor or Ralph to make it worthwhile following up. After all, our consortium won't have bottomless pockets so playing budgets will need to be prudent. If we were short on the defensive front I may have a different view, but we're not.

If there's an option to sign him on a permanent deal then I'd be happy to keep him around, but as a loanee it's only his short term prospects that matter to us.

I was a critic of Colin. He's a much better player now than he was 12 months ago and I go into next season confident in him as our number 1.

I hope we're not paying Woodman's wages given that he isn't making the match day squad and is probably our 6th choice defender. Impressed with him when I saw him, but that's money we don't need to spend now we have people fit.

Regarding interest from higher up, if Exeter come back in for Cardwell you couldn't blame him for making the jump. Someone will also likely take Bridge based on stats alone and if I was the manager of a league 2 club I'd certainly be looking at Harry Taylor. Not saying I want them to go, but if they did that frees up opportunities for others and for once we have a management team who are capable of making astute signings.

I was a critic of Colin. He's a much better player now than he was 12 months ago and I go into next season confident in him as our number 1.

I hope we're not paying Woodman's wages given that he isn't making the match day squad and is probably our 6th choice defender. Impressed with him when I saw him, but that's money we don't need to spend now we have people fit.

Regarding interest from higher up, if Exeter come back in for Cardwell you couldn't blame him for making the jump. Someone will also likely take Bridge based on stats alone and if I was the manager of a league 2 club I'd certainly be looking at Harry Taylor. Not saying I want them to go, but if they did that frees up opportunities for others and for once we have a management team who are capable of making astute signings.
No,no,no. You just happened to pick three players, Cardwell, Bridge and Taylor, that we need to build the team around. What we need is stability if we are going to make a meaningful push for promotion next season.
I think recent performances have shown that new signings take a significant period of time to bed in. Controversial statement, but I have yet to be fully convinced by any of Waldron, Morton or Crowther. They all need a good pre season to bed into the squad. It was no coincidence that the performance at Solihull on Tuesday was virtually all “the old guard” (bar Dackers).
Yes we need some strengthening in the squad, but not at the expense of the core of the current team. Chopping and changing is not for next season, a settled side is what we will need for a serious promotion push.

No,no,no. You just happened to pick three players, Cardwell, Bridge and Taylor, that we need to build the team around. What we need is stability if we are going to make a meaningful push for promotion next season.
I think recent performances have shown that new signings take a significant period of time to bed in. Controversial statement, but I have yet to be fully convinced by any of Waldron, Morton or Crowther. They all need a good pre season to bed into the squad. It was no coincidence that the performance at Solihull on Tuesday was virtually all “the old guard” (bar Dackers).
Yes we need some strengthening in the squad, but not at the expense of the core of the current team. Chopping and changing is not for next season, a settled side is what we will need for a serious promotion push.
Yes, we’ve not been too lucky with injuries and have had to chop and change quite a bit especially recently. Can’t have helped. But picking up what I said in the post match thread, I’d love to hear from Kev about Waldron and Wood, two players that a lot of good things were said about when they signed but we’ve only seen flashes of.

They’ve not featured at all in the last couple, whereas loan players have. Is Kev saying they aren’t ready as surely they should be getting game experience now, to get up to speed for next season. Or are we planning to loan them out? Are we hoping they’ll benefit from a full pre season so it’s seen that right here right now Dackers and Sandat can do a better job? Are they injured? I’m genuinely interested. Not slating anyone before it’s seen as criticism of Kev .. it isn’t.

Absolutely right. IMO the area to address is midfield we need a Leonard/ Wordsworth type of player.

I realise that my above post is nothing to do with Deon Woodman but I’d love to know Kev’s thinking there too 😃.. maybe I need to go for a beer and a game of darts with Maher, Currie and Bentley.

Absolutely right. IMO the area to address is midfield we need a Leonard/ Wordsworth type of player.
I'm trying to imagine a Lenny/Wordy type of player and I'm failing miserably. Should I focus on a ball wining, end to end sort of player, or a ball artist that's a lazy git when it suits?

Help me out here,

Perplexed of Westcliff

I'm trying to imagine a Lenny/Wordy type of player and I'm failing miserably. Should I focus on a ball wining, end to end sort of player, or a ball artist that's a lazy git when it suits?

Help me out here,

Perplexed of Westcliff
It's quite simple really. What he meant was a Leonard type player 'wandering lonely as a cloud' looking for someone to pass to.

• Haha
Reactions: RHB
Back