• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

phsend

First XI
[video=youtube;yDVSR19WXAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVSR19WXAY[/video]

Apologies if this has already been posted, I did a quick search but didn't spot it!

All credit to Shrimper Tom.

What a South Bank! I remember this game well. I got in for nothing, along with about 500 or so, as they kicked off they just opened the gates, and let everyone in. In those days you just paid on the gate, no need to bother with queueing up at ticket offices or going the day before to get the ticket cheaper.

A marvellous idea pay on the turnstile wonder if it should perhaps come back in fashion?

taken back by the size of the south stand, people always say it used to go back, never realised it went that far back!

so long ago, Liverpool hardly had any chances, my memory is fading but did liverpool only have half the N Bank I thought they had the whole end.

so long ago, Liverpool hardly had any chances, my memory is fading but did liverpool only have half the N Bank I thought they had the whole end.

I wondered about that too because there is a huge empty area behind the goal that end.

Yeah they had the whole North bank and to be honest made a fair bit more noise than us. Although we had quite a few thousand in the south there was no real cordinated singing... bit like Wembley really.

Yeah they had the whole North bank and to be honest made a fair bit more noise than us. Although we had quite a few thousand in the south there was no real cordinated singing... bit like Wembley really.

You can see in the footage that Liverpool fans only had half the North Bank.
Liverpool fans had the half nearest the East Stand and Southend fans were in the other half of North Bank and the North West corner.

Liverpool sold their allocation of 7,000 for the entire North Bank. HOWEVER, as the game was postponed and rearanged for a snowy midweek (remember this was 1979) they did not bring all 7,000. Thus the 35,000 ALL TICKET (no paying on turnstiles for original Saturday fixture) was reduced to 31,033?? on the Wednesday. My memory tells me they packed half the North Bank ("their singing was fine"..as the song goes ha ha) but I do not remember any Shrimpers in the other half. Again, the reason a 35,000 all-ticket sell out was attended by 31,000.

I only got to go because the Saturday fixture was postponed. My Dad bought 4 tickets from scouser returns and we watched the game in the North bank.

Liverpool sold their allocation of 7,000 for the entire North Bank. HOWEVER, as the game was postponed and rearanged for a snowy midweek (remember this was 1979) they did not bring all 7,000. Thus the 35,000 ALL TICKET (no paying on turnstiles for original Saturday fixture) was reduced to 31,033?? on the Wednesday. My memory tells me they packed half the North Bank ("their singing was fine"..as the song goes ha ha) but I do not remember any Shrimpers in the other half. Again, the reason a 35,000 all-ticket sell out was attended by 31,000.

How times have changed eh? In 1979 Scousers had jobs.

Disclaimer: A big boy made me type it.

Thank you so much for that. Watching it at home in Erie, PA eating dinner. Was at the game as an 18 year old, a simpler time in my life, and a simpler, lost time for football.

Back