• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in talks with at least three managerial candidates

I'm as guilty as anyone of feeling a prospective manager is more desirable because of their 'contacts' but have any of them really pulled favours at old clubs for decent loanees etc.? Happy to be shot down of course!

Reactions: GBJ
I just don’t get the Tilson thing. He’s been out of the pro game for so long now, things have moved on, he won’t have the vital contacts within the game, etc etc. And let’s be honest he only had one successful managerial stint, with us. Lightening rarely strikes twice. He should stay a club legend from the past and not taint his legacy.

I couldn't agree more. He is a club legend but he's yesterday's man. We really need to move forward.

3 I think would be Fagan , Currie and Reid ,any of that 3 i would be happy with .Cannot understand this Tilson love ,yes he took us to championship ,he also took us back to the basement .Did sod all at Lincoln and have his ladies team set the world on fire. He is our past move on. Remember him as a player and club legend let it not be tainted like CPs was .We need a young eager manager now as the team will be very young itself and times dictate that for the present.

I'm as guilty as anyone of feeling a prospective manager is more desirable because of their 'contacts' but have any of them really pulled favours at old clubs for decent loanees etc.? Happy to be shot down of course!

I think the primary positive example of this has to be Sturrock right, who built the backbone of a squad from previous contacts. However, that was exceptional and I'm struggling to think of other examples.

I agree in principle though that it's an overrated attribute, after all isn't that what scouts are for?
That said, good familiarity with the divisions/level you'll be playing at and the players who will be in the market is definitely useful

3 I think would be Fagan , Currie and Reid ,any of that 3 i would be happy with .Cannot understand this Tilson love ,yes he took us to championship ,he also took us back to the basement .Did sod all at Lincoln and have his ladies team set the world on fire. He is our past move on. Remember him as a player and club legend let it not be tainted like CPs was .We need a young eager manager now as the team will be very young itself and times dictate that for the present.
Whilst I agree that Tilson wouldn't be appropriate now (and his success owes a lot to Brush as a great no. 2), I think it is extremely harsh to blame him for our downward spiral during his time as our manager. Did you take all the facts into consideration and what was happening at the club?

Same for Lincoln. He and Brush walked into a hopeless cause (hope that whoever becomes our next manager isn't coming into a similar situation).

Having said this, if Tilly is given a 2nd stint, I'll get fully behind him.

I just don’t get the Tilson thing. He’s been out of the pro game for so long now, things have moved on, he won’t have the vital contacts within the game, etc etc. And let’s be honest he only had one successful managerial stint, with us. Lightening rarely strikes twice. He should stay a club legend from the past and not taint his legacy.

I bet you were furious when Sol and Bond were appointed then. Both had breaks in football and neither had any real success as managers.

Who's on your list to choose from? Pep or Klopp?

Whilst I agree that Tilson wouldn't be appropriate now (and his success owes a lot to Brush as a great no. 2), I think it is extremely harsh to blame him for our downward spiral during his time as our manager. Did you take all the facts into consideration and what was happening at the club?

Same for Lincoln. He and Brush walked into a hopeless cause (hope that whoever becomes our next manager isn't coming into a similar situation).

Having said this, if Tilly is given a 2nd stint, I'll get fully behind him.
I would be behind any manager too, I support the blues doesn’t matter who is in charge.

TIlson though would not be a progressive appointment, he had succes where but the game has moved on. As a number 2 or an advisor maybe but as the manager i do think it would be wrong this time, there is a need for a really fresh approach within the club, now is the time to take that and rebuild, a young manager is what is required in my mind.

I bet you were furious when Sol and Bond were appointed then. Both had breaks in football and neither had any real success as managers.

Who's on your list to choose from? Pep or Klopp?

Sol had just done ok at a club in a similar state to ours, and much as I was as ‘thrilled’ as anyone about Bond he had at least been coaching at a pro level. Tilly’s done nothing for years. I love the bloke as much as anyone but those days are gone. As for the pointless Pep or Klopp comment,I was thinking more along the lines of Fagan, Maher, Currie or Reid, all of whom are at least involved in the pro game and tick a lot more boxes than Tilly.

I don't quite understand the negativity about Tilson. As much as I prefer not to reach into our past for an appointment, the reasons cited by most, seem to question his ability to understand the modern game. When he was first managing us he was new, raw, lacked experience and probably made good use of Brush for his shortcomings. However, he was respected and passionate. A rare combination. Equally, I can't believe that in the subsequent years he has not progressed his views on the way the game is played. He needed to learn and maybe he has. He has certainly seen a lot of football from the stands and I firmly believe that is often more useful than seeing it from the dugout.

I don't quite understand the negativity about Tilson. As much as I prefer not to reach into our past for an appointment, the reasons cited by most, seem to question his ability to understand the modern game. When he was first managing us he was new, raw, lacked experience and probably made good use of Brush for his shortcomings. However, he was respected and passionate. A rare combination. Equally, I can't believe that in the subsequent years he has not progressed his views on the way the game is played. He needed to learn and maybe he has. He has certainly seen a lot of football from the stands and I firmly believe that is often more useful than seeing it from the dugout.
It’s not understand the modern game it is dealing with how the game has progressed off the pitch as well, p[layer snow have far more power than ever before, and that also impacts on how people manage. CLiques get formed and they are either great or not so great when things go wrong.

As for watching from the stands I have done a lot of that too but wouldn’t profess to being able to manage a club base don that being better than sitting in the dugout (I know your not just saying that criteria but for me it doesn’t come into the equation)

Back