• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United shop in Victoria shopping centre

Anyone have any information about this?

When did it open?

Any photos??

Thanks

ES
I'm pretty sure this was a time John Main was chairman but could be wrong.
I think He wanted to expand merchandising away from Roots Hall(His wife was very good at this sort of thing iirc).

I'm pretty sure this was a time John Main was chairman but could be wrong.
I think He wanted to expand merchandising away from Roots Hall(His wife was very good at this sort of thing iirc).

She couldn't have been that good because it went the way of Estuary Computers and Software Plus.

Wimpy on the other hand must be doing something right.

God knows what sort of a state Vic Circus will be in after lockdown.

She couldn't have been that good because it went the way of Estuary Computers and Software Plus.

Wimpy on the other hand must be doing something right.

God knows what sort of a state Vic Circus will be in after lockdown.
She didn't work for the club believe She was a top buyer for M&S or someone! Could be wrong but rember talk of selling shirts in the high street.

I remember standing out side the shop just after Judas had gone to Birmingham, cant remember what it was for but some of the players came down and went in the shop . There was quite a crowd there when Ricky Otto turned up , some one shouted "are you off to Birmingham Ricky2 , he replied in front of everyone "who me brother , no not me brother" . He was gone by the end of the week .

I remember standing out side the shop just after Judas had gone to Birmingham, cant remember what it was for but some of the players came down and went in the shop . There was quite a crowd there when Ricky Otto turned up , some one shouted "are you off to Birmingham Ricky2 , he replied in front of everyone "who me brother , no not me brother" . He was gone by the end of the week .
Judas done it on national TV! So I'll let him off.

Remember it being there in the 90s

Lots of odd and old MEMORABILIA too (ie) programmes and the like

Brought my son a shirt in there for xmas. Had otto put on the back and he buggered off to Birmingham the next day. Got the club to cover it with Thomson but it looked crap

Ricky didn't want to go to Brum but Jobson refused to give him a modest pay increase so with a family to care for he really felt his hand was forced (he told me this when he was SUEPA guest a couple of years back). Suspect Jobbo was more interested in the short term gain of the transfer fee, but oh what might have been had he and others stayed ....

Ricky didn't want to go to Brum but Jobson refused to give him a modest pay increase so with a family to care for he really felt his hand was forced (he told me this when he was SUEPA guest a couple of years back). Suspect Jobbo was more interested in the short term gain of the transfer fee, but oh what might have been had he and others stayed ....
Promotion to The Promised Land .

Used to go in there quite regulary as a nipper. It used to be on the middle floor in the Plaza. I think it closed about the year 2000. I used to watch the end of Season review vids on the little tv that they had set up in the window. I Have a picture of the counter area in one of my 94/95 matchday programmes.

I started supporting in 1996 and on my first ever visit to Southend I went to the club shop in Vic SC. I literally spent about £100 on various programmes, pennants, scarfs, previous season shirts, stationary etc. I was literally a kid in a sweet shop and the ladies behind the till were quite taken back by my spending !!! It was a great shop!

I started supporting in 1996 and on my first ever visit to Southend I went to the club shop in Vic SC. I literally spent about £100 on various programmes, pennants, scarfs, previous season shirts, stationary etc. I was literally a kid in a sweet shop and the ladies behind the till were quite taken back by my spending !!! It was a great shop!
You obviously went in good time!
I used to sometimes pop in after work and the rattling of keys I took meant can you hurry up.?

Can anyone remember the Southend shop on Victorai Avenue opposite Fairfax Drive. I think Peter Taylor might have had an interest in it but not sure? I dont think it was offi ially linked to the club but I could be wrong.

Can anyone remember the Southend shop on Victorai Avenue opposite Fairfax Drive. I think Peter Taylor might have had an interest in it but not sure? I dont think it was offi ially linked to the club but I could be wrong.

That's the one I remember best and most fondly. A few scarves, pennants and car windscreen stickers, plus old programmes. It was before football became big business and obsessed with marketing and brand. And look where that has got us.

I think it was officially linked to the club. It was there when I first started going in 1982 but probably closed a few season after that.
Anyone else remember Estuary CB radio shop before it became Estuary Computers, that was up just past the Spread Eagle near the bakers. Nice sausage rolls they did in that bakers. That was 1982 as well when CB radio became legal.

Back