• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United v Billericay Town

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
I fancy the Shrimpers to have a few of Town's players in for a trial pre-season. With ex-shrimer Craig Edwards as boss and seeing Daggers take Danny Green from Town on a 3 year deal I think we may well renew our interest in Bricknell. We may as well look at Matty Hall too. Would be good to have a club link now that we are not too many divisions apart and just down the road.

Thoughts?

I fancy the Shrimpers to have a few of Town's players in for a trial pre-season. With ex-shrimer Craig Edwards as boss and seeing Daggers take Danny Green from Town on a 3 year deal I think we may well renew our interest in Bricknell. We may as well look at Matty Hall too. Would be good to have a club link now that we are not too many divisions apart and just down the road.

Thoughts?
Used to play football with Matts brother and occassionally with him, would be interesting to see how he gets on at this level, was released from borient last year i believe.

Thoughts?

Have you not mentioned this before? Is this because you know something? Or is it a total guess?

Have you not mentioned this before? Is this because you know something? Or is it a total guess?

About 3/4 times so far.

Think he is Bricknell when he isn't playing professional cricket for Kent I believe he said...

About 3/4 times so far.

Think he is Bricknell when he isn't playing professional cricket for Kent I believe he said...

I don't know where he finds the time, what with having a First Class degree in Business Management.

Used to play football with Matts brother and occassionally with him, would be interesting to see how he gets on at this level, was released from borient last year i believe.

Tom, Alex or Rich? Where at?

billericay have got a few good young players. my mates brother plays for them, he's only 17 but he is a great prospect. i've always said it a million times we need to look closer to home for young and promising players.

What I want to know is, why have we missed out on Whelpdale and Green in recent years?

We should be signing these lads up, before any other club even looks at them.

It really is poor practise from our scouting network, when we are missing out on talent just 18 miles down the road.

It really is poor practise from our scouting network, when we are missing out on talent just 18 miles down the road.

...particularly where you will almost certainly have no relocation problems to deal with, in term of the player and/or his family ever getting homesick. And, heck, some of them may even actually be Shrimpers and want to play for us - wasn't Benson a Shrimpers fan, for instance?

Hey ho. Perhaps the sole crumb of comfort from our relegation is that, because we are now in League Two, the step-up from the non-leagues is not as severe, and so Tilly can afford to take a gamble on some non-league "diamonds in the rough". After all, we've had some pretty decent players out of the non-leagues...

Austin - St. Albans
Tilson - Witham Town
Royce - Heybridge Swifts
Eastwood - Grays
Hooper - Grays
Bramble - Cambridge City
Flahavan - Woking

Another place we should be looking is to the London clubs... how's this for a roster of talent signed from clubs on our doorstep?

Sansome - Millwall
Cort - Millwall
Cadette - Orient
Collymore - Palace
Powell - Palace
Adam Locke - Palace
Ansah - Brentford
Keith Jones - Brentford
Gower - Barnet
Bailey - Barnet
Jonny Hunt - Barnet
Gridelet - Barnet
Barnard - Spurs
Maher - Spurs
David Lee - Spurs
Adrian Clarke - Arsenal
Dave Martin - Wimbledon

B*ll*cks to the northern monkeys. Let's get some Essex and London boys in who actually want to play for our club so that we can start moving in an upwards, rather than a downwards, direction.

B*ll*cks to the northern monkeys. Let's get some Essex and London boys in who actually want to play for our club so that we can start moving in an upwards, rather than a downwards, direction.

100% correct. Simple things we take for granted like big shops and central heating confuse the hell out of northerners and frankly it causes them to feel unsettled. This was the problem with Billy Paynter apparently who couldn't deal with traffic lights or "chip and pin". He's only started to do well with Swindon because he has been down here so long and a kind-hearted family in Swindon decided to adopt him in return for simple chores around the house and mime shows for their kids. Crazy really...

...particularly where you will almost certainly have no relocation problems to deal with, in term of the player and/or his family ever getting homesick. And, heck, some of them may even actually be Shrimpers and want to play for us - wasn't Benson a Shrimpers fan, for instance?

Hey ho. Perhaps the sole crumb of comfort from our relegation is that, because we are now in League Two, the step-up from the non-leagues is not as severe, and so Tilly can afford to take a gamble on some non-league "diamonds in the rough". After all, we've had some pretty decent players out of the non-leagues...

Austin - St. Albans
Tilson - Witham Town
Royce - Heybridge Swifts
Eastwood - Grays
Hooper - Grays
Bramble - Cambridge City
Flahavan - Woking

Another place we should be looking is to the London clubs... how's this for a roster of talent signed from clubs on our doorstep?

Sansome - Millwall
Cort - Millwall
Cadette - Orient
Collymore - Palace
Powell - Palace
Adam Locke - Palace
Ansah - Brentford
Keith Jones - Brentford
Gower - Barnet
Bailey - Barnet
Jonny Hunt - Barnet
Gridelet - Barnet
Barnard - Spurs
Maher - Spurs
David Lee - Spurs
Adrian Clarke - Arsenal
Dave Martin - Wimbledon

Spot on.

Being the biggest club between here and London, any local talent in the lower leagues should really be identified by us first. There is no excuse for that. If we are not, then the club really need to address this. Either by employing scouts with better knowledge or indeed more of them.

Whelpdale, Benson, Green, Mclean are just a few that we really should have had or have on our books now.

What makes it worse is we have had Benson on trial and let him go. We was in for Whelpdale but was gazumped by P'boro, who were a league below us at the time I believe. That's not good enough.

This summer the scouts really need to pull their finger out. There is plenty of talent in the local area. Hell, I have even sent a long list to the club identifying such. We cannot afford to miss out on these diamonds, especially in our current financial state.

It's time for the scouting network to step up to the plate.

Yes. In my opinion.

The thing is, all of those average players would walk into the side right now. We're a long way below average at the moment.

Besides, David Lee... average? No way. Misunderstood and badly advised, but never average. He could have made it big with us if he'd had his head screwed on properly.

I also think that Clarkey wasn't average... he was a darn fine player.

I'll give you Maher & Grids, though. Ahh, Kev... ludicrously talented when he wanted to be (at Col Ewe, LDV Area Final 1st leg; against QPR in the Championship); but half the time, he didn't seem that bothered. Hey ho.

Southend most succesful captain ever was average and yet Adam Locke is deemed a good player. Maybe I am living in some parrallel universe?

Back