• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Bradford City, Tuesday 26th January, 19:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • John White

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 52 80.0%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 46 70.8%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 51 78.5%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • O'Shane Stewart

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 51 78.5%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Richard Taylor

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Harry Kyprianou

• James Olayinka

• Terrell Egbri

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Win

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 21 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 20.16.15.png

This time last week, many on SZ were stressing the importance of the run of three home games on which we were to embark, suggesting maybe 6 or 7 points minimum being necessary to lift us out of the relegation places. Just a week later and we are faced with the final of the trio of games and a maximum potential haul of only 3 points after consecutive single goal defeats.

We are also faced with an ever shrinking squad with the likelihood of us being without several experienced players against an in-form Bradford side. Dieng is unavailable to play against his former side due to supension, McCormark, Bwomono and Halford all limped off on Saturday and added to the longer term injury victims it's looking more like the squad that started the season than the one that went on such an impressive run in December.

There have been plenty of opinions flying around since yesterday's defeat, so who would you pick for Tuesday evening and what do you predict the result will be?

If Macca and Elvis aren’t fit , I’d go for :

Oxley
Howard, White , Hobson , Clifford
RHF , Demitriou , Taylor , Hart
Akinola , Acquah

Subs : Seaden , R Taylor , ANG , Halford plus 3 others ?

I thought Acquah and Akinola did ok in the first half against Cambridge and I would also give Howard a run out as he is a right back.

If Macca and Elvis aren’t fit , I’d go for :

Oxley
Howard, White , Hobson , Clifford
RHF , Demitriou , Taylor , Hart
Akinola , Acquah

Subs : Seaden , R Taylor , ANG , Halford plus 3 others ?

I thought Acquah and Akinola did ok in the first half against Cambridge and I would also give Howard a run out as he is a right back.
Didnt we sign Reeco Fairchild as a striker? Surely it's time to put him upfront with akinola.

I know he has been signed for the future by all accounts, but surely Walsh has to make the squad now. He can apparently play on the wing and up front. Baring in mind that's where we are struggling, got to give him a chance in some capacity.

Mind you, with Halford playing right back, we'll probably see Walsh in goal!

Be interesting how he goes. Temptation would be to go 352 if Elvis not fit. However, with no Macca, Olayinka or Dieng that might be difficult.

Oxley
White Halford Hobson Hart
RHF Demi Taylor ANG
Akinola Acquah

OR

Oxley
White Halford Hobson Clifford
ANG Demi Taylor Hart
Akinola RHF

Both lineups have the merit of experience and players playing where they are very used to playing

If Elvis is fit then other options arise

Be interesting how he goes. Temptation would be to go 352 if Elvis not fit. However, with no Macca, Olayinka or Dieng that might be difficult.

Oxley
White Halford Hobson Hart
RHF Demi Taylor ANG
Akinola Acquah

OR

Oxley
White Halford Hobson Clifford
ANG Demi Taylor Hart
Akinola RHF

Both lineups have the merit of experience and players playing where they are very used to playing

If Elvis is fit then other options arise
The 'or' has more going for it.
I'm keeping a wary eye on the fate of the National League.
There's more hope of salvation in their suspension/cancellation than our form and available players.

Oxley
Bwomono White Hobson Hart
Demetriou K Taylor
Hackett-Fairchild Nathaniel-George Akinola
Acquah

This should be a low scoring game. Whilst Bradford's form has improved recently that's been more down to their defensive record than because of their potency in front of goal. They've scored 5 in their last 6 matches but only conceded 2. Overall they have the 7th best defensive record in the league. If their defence is as good as it looks on paper then it's going to be a real struggle to break them down with the attacking options we've got, I'd take a 0-0 here.

Well I posted on here before our last meeting earlier in the season and expected your lot to turn us over but somehow we won 3-0.
McCall didn’t last much longer as manager and we now have two youth team managers as interim bosses and have gone on a half decent unbeaten run.
our issue remains scoring goals but we seem to have fixed the fact we conceded so many in the run before McCall was sacked.

We now have a recruitment director and look to be finally getting that side of our club sorted with Danny Rowe and Canavan being added recently from Oldham and Plymouth.

For me we must win this as we seem to be in the habit of drawing games.
hoping for 3 points but I think it will be 0-0 or 1-1.

Back