• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Following on from 'badgershrimp' and his wonderful story, it crossed my mind that we cover old away trips against upcoming rivals, but not the home games, so much.

I thought I'd mention this particular match as my personal favourite between the clubs :-

14th April 1993 : Southend United 3-0 Bristol Rovers

This, of course, was that famous evening during our great escape when Stan the Man scored two fabulous goals, one which nearly took the netting off the North Bank goal.

Also, for some reason, I remember the Rovers sub getting plenty of stick when warming up in front of us, for bearing more than a passing resemblance to Billy Ocean!

Flicking back through past results, I noticed a 6-3 win in 1964, which hopefully someone recalls and, naturally, that famous FA Cup tie at the old Greyhound Stadium.

Following on from 'badgershrimp' and his wonderful story, it crossed my mind that we cover old away trips against upcoming rivals, but not the home games, so much.

I thought I'd mention this particular match as my personal favourite between the clubs :-

14th April 1993 : Southend United 3-0 Bristol Rovers

This, of course, was that famous evening during our great escape when Stan the Man scored two fabulous goals, one which nearly took the netting off the North Bank goal.

Also, for some reason, I remember the Rovers sub getting plenty of stick when warming up in front of us, for bearing more than a passing resemblance to Billy Ocean!

Flicking back through past results, I noticed a 6-3 win in 1964, which hopefully someone recalls and, naturally, that famous FA Cup tie at the old Greyhound Stadium.
Bristol Rovers were Champions of Division 3 South in 1952-53,
honours were even that season with us losing 2-1 away in November Grant scoring for us & over 20,000 attending. The return match at the Stadium was played over Easter Southend winning also 2-1 with Grant again scoring both goals with 16,000 in attendance. We did not face the Rovers again until after we had moved on to Roots Hall. The following four
matches were played before our first relegation in 1965-66, I attended all of those home matches and results were as follows :-1962-63. 27/10/62.Won 3-2 Goalscorer:-John McKinven Hat-trick.(att. 9,180).
1963-64. 18/01/64.Lost 3-4 Goalscorers:-Ray Smith,Mike Beesley & Derek Woodley. (att. 6,737).
1964-65. 24/10/64.Won 6-3 Goalscorers:-John McKinven(3),Ray Smith(2) & Andy Smillie. (att.6,343).
1965-66. 12/02/66.Won 2-1 Goalscorers:-Mel Slack & Andy Smillie. (att. 6,311).
Following our first promotion in 1971-72 we met Bristol Rovers back in Division Three in November 1972 this game ended
0-0 and was our 1,000 Home league match attracting 5,859 fans.

Bristol Rovers were Champions of Division 3 South in 1952-53,
honours were even that season with us losing 2-1 away in November Grant scoring for us & over 20,000 attending. The return match at the Stadium was played over Easter Southend winning also 2-1 with Grant again scoring both goals with 16,000 in attendance. We did not face the Rovers again until after we had moved on to Roots Hall. The following four
matches were played before our first relegation in 1965-66, I attended all of those home matches and results were as follows :-1962-63. 27/10/62.Won 3-2 Goalscorer:-John McKinven Hat-trick.(att. 9,180).
1963-64. 18/01/64.Lost 3-4 Goalscorers:-Ray Smith,Mike Beesley & Derek Woodley. (att. 6,737).
1964-65. 24/10/64.Won 6-3 Goalscorers:-John McKinven(3),Ray Smith(2) & Andy Smillie. (att.6,343).

1965-66. 12/02/66.Won 2-1 Goalscorers:-Mel Slack & Andy Smillie. (att. 6,311).
Following our first promotion in 1971-72 we met Bristol Rovers back in Division Three in November 1972 this game ended
0-0 and was our 1,000 Home league match attracting 5,859 fans.

Only two hat-tricks for us in his career .... and both against Bristol Rovers !

I remember playing them at home towards the end of the 73-74 season, and they needed a point to go up. Their fans arrived just before kick off, and 100+ 'big-uns' came in the North Bank from the car park turnstiles. (Could'nt take it though). That ended 0-0, and they all went on the pitch & celebrated after the final whistle.

I know it's cheating to mention an away tie in this thread but I have never been as wet as the game at the Memorial Stadium in March 2014. Awful 0-0 draw and would have been drier if we'd all just dived into a swimming pool fully clothed.

I know it's cheating to mention an away tie in this thread but I have never been as wet as the game at the Memorial Stadium in March 2014. Awful 0-0 draw and would have been drier if we'd all just dived into a swimming pool fully clothed.

That game hangs long in my memory for wrong reasons. Was it 2014?

I remember playing them at home towards the end of the 73-74 season, and they needed a point to go up. Their fans arrived just before kick off, and 100+ 'big-uns' came in the North Bank from the car park turnstiles. (Could'nt take it though). That ended 0-0, and they all went on the pitch & celebrated after the final whistle.

Remember that well, i think it was the same time when 2 coppers,real good coppers,...PC Hooknose!! and PC69!! kept the lads under control..knew who and when it might "kick off".
These days, they would have at least 15 policemen...looking after a "North bank " that size:smile:
But remember it well..hitched to the away game...but thats another story:smile:

Remember that well, i think it was the same time when 2 coppers,real good coppers,...PC Hooknose!! and PC69!! kept the lads under control..knew who and when it might "kick off".
These days, they would have at least 15 policemen...looking after a "North bank " that size:smile:
But remember it well..hitched to the away game...but thats another story:smile:

PC92 (surname was Anderson). We used to chant 'ooh ooh ninety two'!!.

That was our well-balanced season P46 W16 D14 L16 F62 A62 P46

Back