• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
So, the anticipation is growing for Friday night's match and the return of the lad Sawyer. Will he help to put the boo-boys to bed? Can we get our home form back on track? And will Paul Sturrock have a real go at the players and make them clap the fans at the end of the game?

As we learned last weekend, we have scored in each of our last 10 league games, outperforming in this respect every other team in the division. That run started after our defeat to Bury back in October. Since that game, Bury have failed to keep a clean sheet in all but one of their 10 league games. The only exception was when they walloped Tilly's Lincoln City 5-0. That, though, was their last victory - they haven't won a game since that match on 23 November. We, however, have won three of our last five.

In the head-to-head between the two teams, neither side has managed to score more than once in each of the last five meetings. Bury have managed to win only once at Roots Hall in the last 50 years.

I'm going to go therefore for a 1-0 win, Sawyer to score, not because I actually think he will, but more because I would love to see the excitable reaction to it of some on here!!

:loyalsupporter:

Right personnel but perhaps

Morris

Clohessy Coughlan Barker Gilbert

Easton

Sawyer Grant Hall

Sturrock Corr

OR

Morris

Easton

Sturrock Sawyer Grant Hall

Corr

I'd be worried about leaving Clohessy and Gilbert too exposed, the way they beat us previously was about working the channels and dragging our centre-halves wide.

Morris
Sawyer Easton Grant Hall
Sturrock Corr

no the 5 yellows rule ended at the start of January, however it continues to accumulate:

5 cautions on or before 31 December; 1 match suspension
10 cautions on or before 11 April; 2 match suspension
15 cautions at any time in season; 3 match suspension

(thanks to Mick who explained it at the weekend)

Think Sawyer will start on the bench, which i think has been mentioned somewhere. So im going for maybe 1 0 to blues, but as iv mentioned before trying to forcast a Southend result is not a perfect science.

no the 5 yellows rule ended at the start of January, however it continues to accumulate:

5 cautions on or before 31 December; 1 match suspension
10 cautions on or before 11 April; 2 match suspension
15 cautions at any time in season; 3 match suspension

(thanks to Mick who explained it at the weekend)

Ah - thanks for that. Must have missed Mick's explanation.

Surprised by the number of people that believe Lee will automatically waltz into the starting line up. Certainly, PS will have been making his assessment of Sawyer's fitness during training this week and that will probably have an influence on his team selection as, no doubt, will be the availability of other players, due to injury. I have the feeling that he will start on the bench and come on, certainly to rapturous applause (especially if he replaces Blair :winking:), for the last 15 to 20 minutes.
I do hope that I will see a bit more of him when, hopefully, I'm there next Tuesday night. Sawyer + Mohsni would certainly be an added bonus!

As SS has already said. Bury are on a terrible run of form.

4 defeats and 2 draws in their last 6 games. 4 goals scored and 8 conceeded.

But, they have won 7 out of 12 on the road this season and scored 24 goals in the process. The best in the division. Which actually means overall they have the best away record in League 2!

3 of the 4 defeats they have suffered on the road, have all come in the last 3 away games. All of them being 1-0.

So, although on a bad run. They are very strong on the road and should provide a stern test.

Men to watch are 13 goal striker Ryan Lowe. Along with midfielder Mike Jones and on loan Man Ure striker Nicholas Ajose.

We also welcome back Efe Sodje. Who will no doubt mop up everything in the air!

Last edited:
Not a cat in hell's chance Sawyer will start the match. He's has only been playing at a low level for Woking + also Sturrock admits he made a big mistake when he put Commingues straight in the 1st team when he wasnt up to speed ... By doing that , Commingues has gone backwards as the fans were giving him the bird immediatlely + so his confidence is low. Ferdinand to start friday night in the middle , with Granty pushed in a more forward right sided role ..... Ready for Sawyer to get a 10 minute run out late on .

Mixed messages last night from PS - first said Sawyer has to 'fight to get into the team first' - then said he was going to try a new system on Friday (which doesnt mean it includes Sawyer, but could suggest he is changing it to accommodate him into it).

For what its worth, I dont expect Sawyer to start.

Maybe 'clunimore' will pop up Friday asking for our opinion on that...

One of my favourite ever Southend players, which is a bit strange seeing as he wasn't here for long. I love the big guy and even have a picture in my front room of him smashing Wayne Rooney out of the way during that cup tie.

But yeah, hopefully he ****s up tonight!

Yeah, a ****-up like when Col Ewe visited in the Championship year would be nice, and it'd be 1-0 within the first few minutes. Good servant for us though, hope he's applauded.

Decent enough servant before the injury. Left on good terms. Feel free to do a Barrett and gift us a goal though.

He would of been lost without Barrett to guide him through games..now there was a centre half...Did you ever get that tattoo done on your arm saying "Barrett is a Legend"?

:net:

A top player IMO and apart from Eastwoods goals he was the main reason we won Div 1. Barely conceded a goal in the games he played that season.

Back