• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Cambridge United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the twelfth League Two home game of the 2020/21 season and Mark Molesley’s twelfth league home game in charge as manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 12th League Two match at home is against Cambridge United

SkyBet League Two.jpg

SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are listening on the radio, listening or watching on ifollow, you can still make that famous "Roots Hall Roar” at home.

Mark Molesley’s 12th Southend United League two Home Team of the 2020/21 season

EsHOT3GXcAMAGEN.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 7.00pm Tuesday 19th January 2021 against Cambridge United. It looks like we are going to have a overcast cloudy evening with some rain followed by drizzle at Roots Hall and a fresh breeze.

Roots Hall.jpg

Here is the weather forecast for this evening at Roots Hall

SUFC v Cambridge United Weather.png

Current League home record after 11 home games

Won 4
Dawn 1
Lost 6
Goals scored 10
Goals conceded 16

League Positions Last Season

22nd (2020/21 Season) League One Southend United (Relegated)
16th (2020/21 Season) League Two Cambridge United

League Positions Current Season

3rd (2020/21 Season) League Two Cambridge United
24th (2020/21 Season) League Two Southend United

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Cambridge United Positions.png

Previous Five Meetings

Southend United 3-1 Cambridge United (JPT 04/09/18 Att. 1,421)
Southend United 0-0 Cambridge United (L2 21/02/15 Att. 7,224)
Cambridge United 0-1 Southend United (L2 26/12/14 Att. 7,053)
Cambridge United 0-2 Southend United (L2 28/03/05 Att. 6,705)
Southend United 0-0 Cambridge United (L2 21/08/04 Att. 3,941)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 18
Draws: 10
Cambridge United Wins: 7

Current Form

Cambridge United
W L W W D
Southend United D W L W D

Come On You Blues!

Managers Pre-match Views

Cambridge United

Mark Bonner talked on Cambridge United’s OS ifollow OS this evening’s game before travelling to Roots Hall

Mark Bonner ifollow.png
Cambridge United’s Manager and Ex Southend United Academy Coach Mark Bonner

Link to watch on ifollow
Link

Cambridge United Manager Mark Bonner talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo (Interviewed on 21st November 2020 just before postponed game)

Mark Bonner.png
Cambridge United boss Mark Bonner learnt trade with Southend United

Southend United’s academy has produced some top young players in recent seasons but it could now have also unearthed a top young manager.

Mark Bonner spent six years working within the Shrimpers set up before heading back to Cambridge United in 2011.

After progressing through the ranks with the U’s, Bonner was put in charge of the first team in March and immediately started to transform the club’s fortunes.

That fine form has continued into the current campaign.

And Bonner will be back at Roots Hall to face Blues this weekend with Cambridge sitting second in the standings, just a point behind table-topping Newport County.

It will be great to be back at Southend as I had six and a half brilliant years there at the academy,” said Bonner.

“I joined in 2005 with Ricky Duncan and Luke Hobbs and worked with them before going back to Cambridge in 2011 to take over the under 18s.

“I had a brilliant time there and Ricky has really done an incredible job.

“I’m proud of the part we all played in that at the beginning but it’s nearly 10 years since I left and it’s continued to go from strength to strength.”

But Bonner has also started to excel in the dug-out and feels much of his success can be put down to what he experienced at such a young age himself while with the Shrimpers.

“I was 19 when I came to Southend and Ricky was excellent to me,” said Bonner.

“He gave me lots of opportunities and experiences which were great.

“I worked with the under nines to the under 16s while I was there and I had a number of different positions in that time.”

Bonner opted to head back to Cambridge in 2011 and quickly caught the eye of the club’s hierarchy with his work.

“I’ve had an accelerated journey here to go through to the first team,” said Bonner.

“I took the under 18s to begin with and then became academy manager.

“I worked with the 18s and 23s and then ended up as a first team coach.

“I worked under Richard Money, Shaun Derry, Joe Dunne and Colin Calderwood.

“I was assistant manager to the last two and had two spells as caretaker manager before being given the job in March.

“I always had it in the back of mind that I’d like to have a go at managing the team or being head coach but that opportunity came around a lot sooner than I thought it would.

“However, when you get given these opportunities I think you have to try and grab them.”

Bonner has certainly made the most of his chance in charge, winning 14 of his 25 matches.

But the U’s boss is not getting carried away by the bright start to the season.

“We’ve made really good progress but we’ve had a quarter of the season so we can’t judge ourselves as ultimately successful right now,” said Bonner

“We wanted to create a competitive team and build a bit of identity as a club and we’ve managed to see some positive results.

“Our job now is to try and maintain the consistency we’ve built up in this period but we know how difficult that will be because this is a league where lots of teams can beat anyone and league positions can change very quickly.

“We’re taking nothing for granted.”

That will also be the case this weekend, despite the Shrimpers’ slow start to the season.

Mark Molesley’s side sit bottom of the table but secured their first win of the campaign last time out, beating Walsall 1-0.

And Bonner is therefore expecting a tough match with Blues.

“We’ve got to make sure we bring our very best game to Southend because they will be buoyed by their result last weekend,” said Bonner.

“Walsall haven’t lost a lot of games themselves so it was a good win there and we know we’re in for a difficult game.

“We will have to play well to give ourselves the best chance of getting the points and any time you don’t show up or don’t play well you get beaten in this league.

“It’s another really big chance and a massive game but it will be good to be back at Roots Hall.”

Link to full story

Link

Southend United

Mark Molesley talked on ifollow OS before this evening's game with Cambridge United

Mark Molesley ifollow 1.png

Mark Molesley ifollow 2.png
Southend United Manager Mark Molesley talks during his ifollow interview

Link to watch on ifollow
Link

Southend United Manager Mark Molesley talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo before this evenings game against Cambridge United

Mark Molesley urges Southend United to 'embrace challenge' against Cambridge United

Mark Molesley Echo.jpg
Expecting a tough test - Southend United manager Mark Molesley knows Cambridge United will be difficult to beat

Southend United will be looking to topple a top 10 team for the first time this season when high-flying Cambridge United visit Roots Hall tonight.

The U’s are currently third in the standings, just a point behind table-topping Carlisle United.

But Blues boss Mark Molesley is keen for his side to embrace the challenge as they bid to continue their own run of good results.

“Cambridge are competing for that top spot so we’ll certainly have our work cut out against them but we’re looking forward to the game and will embrace this challenge,” said Molesley.

“Cambridge have started ever so well.

“They’re doing a really good job down there and they’ve got some really good players.

“But at the same time our own group is on an upward spiral and we’re growing all the time.

“I think it will come down to who is physically best prepared for another tough battle.”

Blues remain bottom of the table despite losing just one of their last eight games and drew 0-0 at Grimsby Town on Saturday.

The Shrimpers have now kept five clean sheets in their last eight games but their defence will face a stern test this evening.

“They’ve got the top scorer in the League in Paul Mullin and Wes Hoolahan needs no introduction either,” said Molesley.

“We all know the quality he has because we’ve seen it on Match of the Day but we feel like we’ve got threats that can hurt them too.”

Link to full story

Link

Ricky Duncan talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo about Mark Bonner

Ricky Duncan pleased to see ex Southend United coach Mark Bonner doing well with Cambridge United

Ricky Duncan on Mark Bonner.jpg
Pleased - Ricky Duncan (left) is delighted to see Mark Bonner doing well at Cambridge United

Southend United’s academy has produced many top players down the years, but it could now have also produced a top manager.

Mark Bonner has transformed Cambridge United - who head to Roots Hall on Tuesday night - from a side fighting relegation to one pushing for promotion since taking charge in January 2020.

But Bonner spent six years coaching the Shrimpers young players before heading back to the U’s.

And Blues’ academy manager Ricky Duncan is pleased to see Bonner succeeding.

“I brought Mark in here when he was 19,” said Duncan.

“I was at Cambridge with him before that and when I came back to Southend I wanted to bring him over.

“He came in to run our shadow squad section and eventually he went on to be assistant to Luke Hobbs in helping to run the academy.

“He progressed into that and he was a good worker.

“He knew what he was doing and was always well organised. He became a big part of the academy and we were a tight knit group.”

However, Bonner eventually opted to return to Cambridge to progress his coaching career.

“Mark developed with us and went on to run our foundation phase as well before he went back to Cambridge,” said Duncan.

“He wanted to step up and he went there to coach the under 18s before making the step up from there.”

But Duncan never saw Bonner taking on the top job.

“I never saw him becoming a manager if I’m honest,” said Duncan.

“I always thought he would become a very successful category one academy manager and I thought Luke would be a manager.

“But they’ve both gone down different paths and Luke is now high up at Arsenal’s academy so what do I know.”

“Mark definitely understands the game though and he has a really nice way about him too.”

Those traits have now helped Bonner transform Cambridge.

And Duncan is proud to see another ex Blues coach doing so well.

“It’s something else we’ve always been known for,” said Duncan.

“Even this year we’ve had Scott Allison go to Norwich and Matt Pooley went there last year too.

“They had been with us three or four years but clubs notice their ability and they move on.

“It’s great to see Mark and all our ex staff going on to achieve.”

But Bonner has had to work tirelessly to get his chance.

“Mark has worked hard to become manager there and he’s certainly done the groundwork,” said Duncan.

“He got the opportunity and he’s really grabbed it which is fantastic.

“It’s been brilliant for him to have the chance and he was really good for us.

“The time was right for him to move on and I hope he continues to do really well, just not on Tuesday night of course!”

Link to full story

Link

The Big Preview

Southend United vs Cambridge United

Big Preview.png

Overview

Southend United entertain high-flying Cambridge United this evening at Roots Hall in the first of three successive home games for Mark Molesley’s side in the next eight days.

Tonight’s fixture is a rearranged game from mid-November after Blues were unable to field a side due to positive COVID cases compounding Southend’s long injury list.

Since then, Molesley’s Blues have found some form but they’ll face a tough examination under the lights in Essex against a U’s side who sit just one point from the top of the League Two table.

Form

Blues come into tonight off the back of a 0-0 draw away at Grimsby Town on Saturday, Southend’s third clean sheet in their last four matches.

Mark Molesley’s side have picked up three wins and two draws from their last six matches, with a 2-0 defeat to Leyton Orient the only blot on their recent record.

Cambridge too have picked up three wins from their last six and are unbeaten in their last three thanks to wins against Grimsby and Harrogate before drawing against Colchester on Saturday.

Last Meeting

Tuesday 4th September 2018

Southend United 3-1 Cambridge United

McCoulsky 55’, 64’, Hutchinson 83’; Lambe 52’

Blues started their Checkatrade Trophy group campaign off with a resounding 3-1 win against Cambridge United the last time these two sides met back in 2018.

Reggie Lambe headed the visitors in front just after the interval before two goals in nine minutes from Shawn McCoulsky and a memorable debut goal for Isaac Hutchinson gave Blues the win.

From The Boss

“It’s a really tough game coming up, and Cambridge started off really well this season, they’ve got some great players and find themselves competing for that top spot at the moment.

“We’ve got our work cut out but at the same time our groups on an upward spiral, and we’re growing all the time.

“We just had a challenging away trip against Grimsby on Saturday with tough conditions, but Cambridge had very similar if not identical conditions against Colchester with the pitch so they will be feeling the effects from that, but games like tonight are always going to come down to who can physically prepare the best and prove that on the pitch.”

The gaffer also touched on James Olayinka's injury from Grimsby:

“We’ve unfortunately lost James to injury again, we’re currently waiting for a scan result to come back to see the full extent of that tackle from Saturday, but until then we don't know.

“Other than that we just have a few bumps and bruises that have appeared after a tough battle but the games are coming thick and fast and it’s all part of being a League Two player.

“Long away journeys, difficult playing surfaces it’s all part of the experience in this division but we can’t use those as excuses, instead we have to embrace those challenges.”

Blues Team News

Mark Molesley was cautious with his substitutions on Saturday, only bringing on one sub in the 0-0 draw against Grimsby meaning he should have plenty of fit options to choose from tonight.

Kyle Taylor and Tom Clifford both returned from illness and injury respectively to be unnamed subs at the weekend and they’ll both be pushing for a start this evening.

Greg Halford, fresh off signing a new deal until the end of the season, is back and available again for selection having served his one-match ban for his sending off against Barrow.

Cambridge Dangerman

Striker Paul Mullin is undoubtedly going to be Cambridge’s biggest threat in front of goal with the 26-year-old currently leading the League Two scoring charts.

Mullin has 18 goals in 23 league games and 20 overall in all competitions, including hat-tricks against Morecambe and Port Vale, and braces against Newport, Scunthorpe and Colchester.

It took just 10 games this term for Mullin to surpass his career-best goal tally for a season and he’s showing no signs of slowing down, so Blues will need to be at the top of their game tonight.

Ref Watch

Robert Madley will take charge of proceedings at Roots Hall, being assisted by Daniel Cook and Stephen Brown, while Ryan Whitaker will fill in as the fourth official.

This season is Madley’s first back in football after a two-year hiatus and so far this season he’s officiated 14 matches, showing 43 yellow cards and just the one red.

The West Yorkshire official was last at Roots Hall in February 2017 when goals from Marc-Antoine Fortune, Simon Cox and Ryan Leonard earnt Southend a 3-1 win against Scunthorpe.

iFollow Blues

With fans not able to attend Roots Hall in person, Blues supporters can watch tonight’s clash with Cambridge by picking up a Match Pass on iFollow Blues for £10.

A Match Pass will allow you to watch the game on your laptop, computer, tablet or mobile device with Season Ticket holders already having access to their pass via their iFollow account.

For more information on how you can get your Match Pass and ensure you miss none of the action at Roots Hall on iFollow Blues, click here.

Link to full story

Link

Come On You Blues!

Oh good, looks like no wide players and 5 at the back - not confident at all with that starting 11 - hope I'm wrong

3-5-2 it looks like to me.

Ox

White - Halford - Hobson

Elvis Hart

JD Macca

Dieng

Acquah Akinola

Strongest bench I can remember us having for a long time. But no idea on the formation. 5 at the back?

Oxley
Elvis, White, Halford, Hobson, Hart
Demetriou, Macca, Dieng
Akinola, Acquah​

Similar set up to the Barrow game.

Just tuned into BBC Essex and the game summary isn't even on.

Then I've seen out team and I'm like wtf

Can’t believe this line up? We aren’t playing Man city are we? So very defensive. Any attacking threat from Sat (ANG and RHF) on the bench.

I can see us having less than 30% possession, backs to the wall hoping to nick a goal at a set piece?

Let’s hope I’m wrong.

Well it's a solid line up. Anyone know what's happened to the match summary on BBC Essex?

I guess he’s gone with experience in central mid with JD , Macca and Dieng.
If Elvis and Hart can get forward then I think Acquah and Akinola can get some joy.
In MM we trust

Acquah? OK, let's see if he can do something, anything.
Maybe, Akinola can feed off him. Stranger things have happened.

Can someone explain that lineup????? Fuming!! How can acquah play and ANG and kyle Taylor be left on the bench? Even Reeco smith on the bench!! Very strange lineup

Last edited:
Back