• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Eastleigh, Saturday 28th January, 15:00ko. NL

Starting XI and Result

• Blondy Nna Noukeu

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • Kacper Łopata

• Louis Lomas

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • Jack Bridge

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 40 83.3%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 40 83.3%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Jake Hyde

• ….

• ….

• Win

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Lose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
With a couple of postponements and all that has been going on off the field, it makes a change to have some football to discuss and with a slightly milder forecast for the end of this week hopefully the game against Eastleigh is not in danger.

Because of the postponement of the Oldham and Maidenhead away games, this will be our third consecutive home game and the fixture computer and our progression in the FA Trophy means it will be followed by 4 more (York, York, Halifax, Gateshead) - I can't ever remember having seven consecutive home games before in my over 40 years of watching the blues. Goodness knows what state the Roots Hall pitch will be in by the Gateshead game!

Although the midweek results meant we slipped down to 8th place, if we can turn Roots Hall into a fortress during this period our place in the play-offs should be looking quite secure by the time of our next away game at Notts County in mid-February (unless any rearranged games are slotted into the calendar between now and then).

Like ourselves Eastleigh’s games last Saturday and midweek were both postponed because of their frozen pitch so they haven’t played since a 1-0 win at home to Braintree in the FA Trophy.

Managed by former Blues striker Lee Bradbury, the Spitfires’ form in the league over the last 6 games is a bit mixed and only marginally better than our own.

F02A1CE0-0BFE-4693-9285-FF4B6755F147.jpeg

They currently sit 3 points and 3 places below us in the league so it could be a tight game, but after the way their players celebrated their smash and grab win against us at their place last August it certainly feels like we owe them one!

For ourselves, the selection issues remain the same as they were for the two postponed games - albeit with every day that passes by those players who have been out for a while will be getting a bit fitter. However their lack of match time may mean that the likes of Rhys Murphy, Gus Scott-Morriss and Jake Hyde will have to be content with places on the bench unless Kev wants to tinker with a winning side.

Let’s hope the off the field issues and planned protests on Saturday do not affect the players’ performances on the pitch.

So who would you select to start at Roots Hall on Saturday and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
They are very much a home team, they were last season too. Their away form in the league really isn't great at all.

Without the obvious distractions away from the pitch, I'd be confident of a win. However, you can't not factor in those entities. Therefore, I have no idea how the game will go.

I'm hoping we continue our recent return to form.

UTB!

Reactions: GBJ
I was quite surprised to see Eastleigh’s away record this season. From their 13 away (league) games, they have only picked up 1 win and 3 draws.

6 points from a potential 39 sounds like they’ll be a walkover, but even with that poor away record, they’re still only 4 points off the playoffs.

Just goes to show how important a good home record is in this division… which is why we need to be putting teams like this, to the sword.

Not sure if he still plays for them but their centre-mid, no 8(?), who looks more like a basketball player, is the best I've seen in this division this season (never gives the ball away).

Not sure if he still plays for them but their centre-mid, no 8(?), who looks more like a basketball player, is the best I've seen in this division this season (never gives the ball away).

He'll wished he played basketball once Miley's given him a footballing masterclass 😉

we owe this lot after what felt a very unjust win down at their place. One of the worst refs weve had this season and then their players giving it big infront of our terrace at the end of the game.
I very seldom want revenge for an away defeat, but @shrimperjon's summary is bang on. That game really grated my gears, so I hope we stuff them.

Dead chuffed that Gus and Jake are available.

Presume jake would come on for a run in the last 20 to be eased back.

With Cards in form, Rhys banging on the door and getting into goalscoring positions, things are looking more positive up front.
I’m a big fan of Demi, but I’d start Gus if fit for his heading,long throw and speed advantages.

Freezing temperatures overnight again not meant to get above 0 degrees until 10am, seems worse that was previously thought. Hope this one doesn't fall victim to the weather.

Freezing temperatures overnight again not meant to get above 0 degrees until 10am, seems worse that was previously thought. Hope this one doesn't fall victim to the weather.
You would think not. Should be warm enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back