• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v FC Halifax Town, Saturday 6th January, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

• Ollie Kensdale

• Nathan Ralph

• Jack Bridge

• Noor Husin

Votes: 57 81.4%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 48 68.6%
  • Henry Sandat

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • Mauro Vilhete

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • James Morton

Votes: 51 72.9%
  • Brooklyn Kabongolo

Votes: 43 61.4%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • ….

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • ….

• ….

• ….

• Win

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
It’s a New Year and 2024 will hopefully shape up to be a lot brighter for Southend United than 2023 - the year when the club came perilously close to extinction.

The first game of the New Year sees FC Halifax Town visit Roots Hall, a Phoenix club who rose from the ashes after the original Halifax Town AFC went into administration in the 2007-08 season.

This is a game between the clubs with the two tightest defences in the National League with Halifax conceding a meagre 24 goals in their first 26 games this season - given our lack of a cutting edge in the festive double-header against Barnet, Halifax might be confident that their GA column might remain the same after 27 games too.

The fact that a team with such a good defensive record has only snuck into the final play off place is down to their lack of goal scoring with only Kidderminster, Maidenhead and Woking scoring fewer than Halifax’s 30 goals so far this season. Which brings me onto the only player they have in their squad who used to play for us - forward Aaron Cosgrave didn’t score for us in the 10 games he spent on loan from AFC Wimbledon and has scored 2 goals this season in his 21 appearances for Halifax (11 of which were from the bench).

In their own festive double header against Altrincham, Chris Millington’s side managed a win away and got a 0-0 draw at home.

Our double defeat has seen us slip down the form table, although with both teams getting 2 wins from the last 6 games our records are not too dissimilar.

IMG_6354.jpeg

By the time we kick off on Saturday afternoon, I’m sure we all hope that Kev will have some other options to play up front as the large number of Shrimpers who watched both games against Barnet will probably agree that starting with Sandat and Vilhete up front for a 3rd game in a row is unlikely to reap dividends against the meanest defence in the league.

Elsewhere it will be interesting to see if the midfield is tweaked after James Morton has spent a week training with the squad. His cameo from the bench against Barnet would certainly suggest that he’ll be a welcome addition to the squad.

At the time of writing this (Wednesday morning), no further additions have been made but they will be added to the poll if/when they arrive - as will any players returning from injury - hopefully the names of messrs. Miley, Cardwell, Powell, Martin and Lomas will be back on the list of options before too long.

So who would you choose to start in the first game of 2024 against the Shaymen at Roots Hall, and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
No Harry Taylor in your squad? Not suspended is he?

Strange question but is it possible to use my season card to access another part of the ground? I'm east green but would help to be in other end of east stand Saturday.

Strange question but is it possible to use my season card to access another part of the ground? I'm east green but would help to be in other end of east stand Saturday.
I'm pretty you can change your seat with the ticket office for a game but it has an admin charge of £5 or so - I could be wrong but I think that's the case.

Reactions: ESG
I'm pretty you can change your seat with the ticket office for a game but it has an admin charge of £5 or so - I could be wrong but I think that's the
I'm a season card holder so just hoping the system is not that bright and will scan me in elsewhere.

With the current squad... I can't see us getting a win from this game. We really need a striker if we are to cause this team any threat

They have the best defence in the league (4 better than us, we are the second best)

Our only saving grace is they are one of the lowest scoring teams this season

With our current squad:

My prediction is a hopeful, 0-0

I think Morton did enough to earn a start.

Kabongolo and Sandat pencilled in up front pending any new signings.

Who would you replace Morton with in the starting lineup? Assume one of Wes or Ollie C?

Isn't it good to actually have a choice though??? It's like we have a proper, functioning football club again!!!

*excited emoji*

===/////////Collin/////////====

Gus==Kens===Taylor ==Ralph

===Wes==Husin==Morton==

==Brooklyn==Sandat==Bridge

===/////////Collin/////////====

Gus==Kens===Taylor ==Ralph

===Wes==Husin==Morton==

==Brooklyn==Sandat==Bridge
Yes—without any newcomers—forwards!!!—that’s the best we can do. But Fonguck should be on the left to work his magic with Bridge.

Yes—without any newcomers—forwards!!!—that’s the best we can do. But Fonguck should be on the left to work his magic with Bridge.
Trouble is Morton and Ralph are left footers, but perhaps Wes could combine with Sandat and Gus , its always been a balancing act with Bridge with to many of our players drawn towards the left wing ! Leaving little presence in and around the box!
I'd really like to try Brooklyn in a more dynamic back 3 where either 1 of the 3 could surge forward overload style, but remain in attack only returning to defence if opposition are in a period of domination. Just a thought until a striker hold up player arrives...

Not much we can do without any movement on the forward front. Maybe bring Morton in for a start, and have Brooklyn start alongside Sandat so the ball sticks a bit better up front.

Not much we can do without any movement on the forward front. Maybe bring Morton in for a start, and have Brooklyn start alongside Sandat so the ball sticks a bit better up front.
Kev and Co. Will be keeping any signing(s) to themselves at this stage if the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back