• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dru was excellent today and a special word to their number 12; possibly the worst player I have ever seen

Crikey. How did the team that was crucified on Good Friday rise again on Easter Monday....?

Very glad to see Theo get a goal today. He certainly can't be faulted for effort when he plays. Maybe he can go on a successful run now.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Barling Magna
Crikey. How did the team that was crucified on Good Friday rise again on Easter Monday....?
]
That would be a day late then. :facepalm:

Obviously miracles take a little longer nowadays.........

I'm loving this, 5 more would be great , as I was at the 8-1 drubbing we took after going one nil up. My must win game for bragging rights, it's fantastic, if they could go down to 8 men , even more stick I can dish out for years to come, cmon you blues, regards to all from Kyoto

I was at that game too. I thought we were a few down before we got our Dean Neal/OG on that awful day. I think Gills' Manager, Steve Lovell, got four goals himself. And then, the week after, we shipped six at Notts County.

I was at that game too. I thought we were a few down before we got our Dean Neal/OG on that awful day. I think Gills' Manager, Steve Lovell, got four goals himself. And then, the week after, we shipped six at Notts County.

Spot on as usual.

Our 'goal' arrived during the second half iirc.

My recollection is that we were winning at Meadow Lane at one stage of that game - possibly 1-0 after a Super Roy penalty although it could have been 2-1.

Adrian Burrows looked like Bobby Moore when he was brought in at Mansfield to shore up the defence.

Fantastic management skills from Clarkey to avoid relegation after Bate went when we had amassed 2 points from the first 8 (eight) games.

Strangely, we played well in the opening 2-2 draw at Gigg Lane and had accumulated our second point and final point under Bate after the first 2 games.

Spot on as usual.

Our 'goal' arrived during the second half iirc.

My recollection is that we were winning at Meadow Lane at one stage of that game - possibly 1-0 after a Super Roy penalty although it could have been 2-1.

Adrian Burrows looked like Bobby Moore when he was brought in at Mansfield to shore up the defence.

Fantastic management skills from Clarkey to avoid relegation after Bate went when we had amassed 2 points from the first 8 (eight) games.

Strangely, we played well in the opening 2-2 draw at Gigg Lane and had accumulated our second point and final point under Bate after the first 2 games.

Thanks, Ray - and you're right too. I unfortunately saw it on 'youtube' this morning and we were 4-0 down when their defender West scored for us in the second half. I didn't share it as I thought it would be a bit miserable of me to inflict it on everyone.

I thought Adrian Burrows was one of our best loan signings. We got him from Plymouth but only for a short while, sadly.

What was that run-in to keep us up - 5 wins in 7 games? Astonishing. Clarkey even played himself in midfield in that last game at home to Blackpool (4-0) alongside Peter Butler - which worked a treat.

What was that run-in to keep us up - 5 wins in 7 games? Astonishing. Clarkey even played himself in midfield in that last game at home to Blackpool (4-0) alongside Peter Butler - which worked a treat.
I remember the Blackpool one. It was the first Southend game I'd watched for a couple of years. My Dad used to take me to games when I was little but, after senior school started and homework and travel to school starting eating more time, we went less and less often.

One of my school friends had an older sister whose boyfriend went to Southend games. I got talking to about Southend and I went with him to that match. 4-0! It was another couple of years until I started going a bit more regularly*, when I had a job and could afford it, but that was when I got the Roots Hall bug again.

That bug has never left me even though there was a good decade from the 2000s until a few years ago when I didn't go. I've renewed my season ticket for a fourth season in a row.

That game. I fell in love with Roots Hall again. It's crumbling, it's not as pretty as it once was and it doesn't seem as big and amazing as it did to me when I was a little kid. But I still love it and I always will.

Shameless admission time - it's evening kickoffs that take me right back to when my Dad took me to games when I was a kid. When I walk up the road, seeing the other fans growing in numbers, that moment when I first catch sight of the floodlights above the rooftops? It always makes me want to cry.

God, you just bought me a ticket for a massive nostalgia trip.

* I seem to remember some bloke called Powell being quite popular back then.

From Barcelona To Roots Hall

I remember the Blackpool one. It was the first Southend game I'd watched for a couple of years. My Dad used to take me to games when I was little but, after senior school started and homework and travel to school starting eating more time, we went less and less often.

One of my school friends had an older sister whose boyfriend went to Southend games. I got talking to about Southend and I went with him to that match. 4-0! It was another couple of years until I started going a bit more regularly*, when I had a job and could afford it, but that was when I got the Roots Hall bug again.

That bug has never left me even though there was a good decade from the 2000s until a few years ago when I didn't go. I've renewed my season ticket for a fourth season in a row.

That game. I fell in love with Roots Hall again. It's crumbling, it's not as pretty as it once was and it doesn't seem as big and amazing as it did to me when I was a little kid. But I still love it and I always will.

Shameless admission time - it's evening kickoffs that take me right back to when my Dad took me to games when I was a kid. When I walk up the road, seeing the other fans growing in numbers, that moment when I first catch sight of the floodlights above the rooftops? It always makes me want to cry.

God, you just bought me a ticket for a massive nostalgia trip.

* I seem to remember some bloke called Powell being quite popular back then.

Lovely post, Cultist. Tried to show it the Fasto way but I need to spread some points around elsewhere first.

That was a fantastic game. Butler scored a cracker in the 1st half and we were brilliant in the 2nd half, making sure of the win to keep us in the old Division 3 after what had been an "interesting" season. As mfurok said earlier, Paul Clarke did wonders that year, not least with the signings of David Crown and Peter Butler from Cambridge.

If you've got a programme for that match, check it out. I managed to get a snippet in there, courtesy of the late John Adams, entitled 'From Barcelona To Roots Hall.' It was about my brother coming over for the game. Some of you may know him on here as 'Tangled Up In Blue' (nee 'Barna Blue').

Back