• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was at the ground buying my ticket for Saturday earlier today and I bumped into PB, I asked him what his plans were now that Timlin wasn’t available and he told me this;

“Well, funny you should mention that, as I was just on the phone to Stephen Hendrie...Took me a while to get hold of him as his mum answered the phone and said I’d need to hold as he was playing FM18 and he was just about to make his record appearance for Southend! Anyway, finally got him on the line and I told him he was going to be left back on Saturday..., he was quick to interrupt me to tell me how delighted he was!”

PB continued; “I said, now let me finish young Hendrie, what I meant was; you gonna be left back in the changing room as I know how good you are at cutting them (sic) half time oranges, and don’t forget I like my quartered!”

I’ll get me coat:facepalm:

On a more serious note, what's to do with the line-up.

If Tims in suspended, do we play Hendrie or do we play JW and stick with Ferdy. Do we leave Ferdy out and play JW at centre-half.

Personally, I would swap JW for Tims and give Ferdy another go. I don't think Oldham will be as much of a threat going forward as Oxford were, so it should be less of a risk, if there are still issues surrounding the back-four.

On a more serious note, what's to do with the line-up.

If Tims in suspended, do we play Hendrie or do we play JW and stick with Ferdy. Do we leave Ferdy out and play JW at centre-half.

Personally, I would swap JW for Tims and give Ferdy another go. I don't think Oldham will be as much of a threat going forward as Oxford were, so it should be less of a risk, if there are still issues surrounding the back-four.

I get what ya saying, also cannot see PB making too many changes, as despite the disappointing results we are actually starting to look like a team.

I’d be surprised if AF was dropped, and if he did I’d say it would be down to fitness as opposed to form. Personally I’d give Hendrie a chance, and bring JW back alongside Turner.

Oxley
Demetriou Turner White Hendrie
Kightly Wright Lenny McLaughlin
MAF Cox

subs: Kid goalie, Elvis, Anton, McGlashan, Yearwood, Ba, Ranger

although it would be typical PB to play Bridge at LB :winking:

Phil Brown has consistently shown that Anton Ferdinand is his Captain and that he retains faith in him. If that assumption is correct then Anton will lead the side out on Saturday. My guess is that John White will fill the left back berth at the expense of Hendrie. All that being so then the side will look like this:

Oxley

Demitriou Turner Ferdinand White

Kightly Wright Lenny McLaughlin

Cox Fortune

Personally I would start JW paired with Turner at centre back and Hendrie at full back but that ain't gonna happen.

Ferdinand produced one of the poorest defensive performances I have seen in years on Sat. If he is rewarded with a start then there's no point the other players being with us. It's not competitive. Turner and White in the middle with Hendrie back in. Ranger will prob be back in the first eleven too as a reward for turning up on time once this week.

Despite their lowly position Oldham's front two Davies and Doyle have scored 18 league goals between them plus 3 cup goals. Our aged centre backs will need to be on their mettle.

It seems Oldham's aged centre half Mr Peter Clarke is now keeping the bench warm he's not started their last three games where they have conceded only 1 goal.

I hope there's not a moral to this story come 5pm on Saturday.

Seems to me that since Wellens took over they doing okay and their two strikers have scored almost as many goals between them as the entire Southend team have,Could be a hard time for us come saturday .Definitely no easy game .

Yeah, only lost 2 in their last 13 games since he has taken over according to that BBC article.

LBB at post 10 above is spot on about the threat posed by the Latics' front two, both very experienced and scoring regularly. Our defence have a busy afternoon in prospect and one hopes that we don't find our CBs turned too many times and chasing back after balls over the top for the pair to run on to. As others have said recently, scouts will have noted our vulnerability to that play.

I expect John White to play LB on Saturday. I believe Hendrie might be playing in a game arranged today though.

Any news on Wordsworth? If he is back fit I would throw him in for an hour at the expense of Wright.

Probably the biggest contributing in the squad in terms of results. Look how our results picked up post Northampton and have then dropped off again post Walsall. Its no co-incidence.

With regards to Ferdinand, he had a poor start to the season, but up until Saturday had been re-discovering his form from last season, and playing OK in a solid back four. (5 goals conceeded in 7 games, 2 of which were penalties)

I would give him one last crack, and if he looks off the pace again like last Saturday, bring him off for Hendrie and switch JW to Centre.

Would also stick with Cox and MAF upfront, and also Kightly and McL on the wings too.

Any news on Wordsworth? If he is back fit I would throw him in for an hour at the expense of Wright.

Probably the biggest contributing in the squad in terms of results. Look how our results picked up post Northampton and have then dropped off again post Walsall. Its no co-incidence.

Yep we've only won one league game when he hasn't started - that was on August 5 against Blackburn.

Yep, totally agree with that 'Trust'.

I think, as you say, a lot of people forget that we haven't let many goals in of late (4 in 6 league games, plus the FA Cup).

Also spot on regarding Wordy. I think a similar thing happened last season, when he was missing.

The omens suggest anything but a goal-fest. Oue last 7 games - scored 5 conceded 5 yet not a 0-0 amongst them.

With rumours of a 'big freeze' on the way from Thursday night, I hope the new head groundsman has a few 2 bar electric heaters handy. Don't need another cancellation.

Back