• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v York City

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we all are, our fifteenth home game in the Vanarama National League of the 2022/23 season. This is the Dream Team’s 35th home game since they were appointed Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 15th home match is against York City

Vanarama National League.png
SUFC.jpg VS.pngYork City.png
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind Kevin, Darren, Mark and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or listening on Blues TV.

The Dream Team’s Southend United Vanarama National League home Team against York City

FoILG9PWQAIKu_j.jpg

Roots Hall is ready for action at 15.00 hrs Saturday 4th February 2023. It looks like we will have light cloud with light winds for the game,, with an expected temperature of 9°C, but feel like 8°C.

Roots Hall 1.jpg

The weather forecast for this afternoon’s at Roots Hall

SUFC v York City Weather.png

Current National League home record after 14 home games

Won 6
Drawn 4
Lost 3
Goals scored 19
Goals conceded 11

League Positions Last Season

13th (2021/22) Vanarama National League Southend United
5th (2020/22) Vanarama National League North York City (Promoted)

League Positions Current Season

9th (2022/23) Vanarama National League Southend United
15th (2022/23) Vanarama National League York City

Recent League Positions Change

SUFC v York City Positions.png
Previous Meetings

Southend United 1-0 York City (League Two 31/01/15 Att. 6,126)
York City 2-3 Southend United (League Two 20/09/14 Att. 3,307)
York City 0-0 Southend United (League Two 22/02/14 Att. 3,628)
Southend United 2-1 York City (League Two 23/11/13 Att. 9,018)
York City 2-1 Southend United (League Two 20/04/13 Att. 5,975)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 17
Draws: 13
York City Wins 17

Current Form

Southend United
L D L D W L
York City W L D W L L

Current Form Table (Last 6 Games)

SUFC v York City Form.png

Come On You Blues!

Managers Pre-match Views

York City

York City Manager David Webb interview prior to their visit to Southend

York City boss plots to take advantage of Southend troubles

David Webb.jpg
York City Manager David Webb

York City manager David Webb has admitted he will show no sympathy towards Southend United on Saturday (3pm) and plans to take 'advantage'.

The Minstermen will make the long trip down to Essex for the first of two weekends in a row, with the hopes of avoiding a third consecutive defeat.

Southend are a club in even more turmoil than York however, with the club rumoured to be potentially going out of business in a matter of weeks with a HMRC winding up petition, unpaid staff wages and plans of a phoenix club already in the works.

Webb won't show any sympathy to the Shrimpers however, and is keen to see York pick up three points.

"Hopefully we can use what is going on around Southend at the moment to our advantage." Webb said.

“Anything we can use to our advantage going into games we will and we have to start the game strong.

"If their crowd are at a stage where they are frustrated with things and with stuff going on off of the field, we can add to that fuel on the fire by having a strong start and getting ahead.

"[It will] get the opponent’s heads down, and get the crowd a little bit hostile towards them.

“They have got some very good players have Southend.

"They’re up there in the league for a reason, so we’ve gone through the tactics all week, they are a threat from set pieces and they are a threat from other areas of the pitch as well so we’re going to have to be on our A-game to really match them.

“We will use anything we can. We want to attack the game, play on the front foot and then make sure we are able to test the goalkeeper early and see if we can see what he’s made of.

“I don’t really know Kevin [Maher] that much.

"I know he’s an ex-player of Southend, I know he’s coached at various clubs and as an assistant manager. We’ve studied how Southend are going to play for the past week so we’re well aware of the threats that they are going to pose, but we will look to go and impose ourselves on them.

It was a disappointing two defeats for York last week, with a 2-0 defeat to Oldham Athletic and a 2-1 loss to Maidenhead United seeing City slump to 15th in the Vanarama National League table, and just six points clear of the relegation zone.

“We were disappointed with last week.

"I think the decisions didn’t help, I’m not taking away from the performance because we didn’t play well and that’s a fact.

"I think it’s frustrating because we knew that on our day we could beat them, it’s the same with Oldham.

"It’s two frustrating games I think for that and with the decisions, but for this weekend definitely a win away at Southend would be amazing.

Webb also addressed the supporters who would be making the 180-mile trip to Essex on Saturday, pleading for their support.

“As always, safe travels if they’re coming down to support us." Webb greeted.

"We need you to get behind the team first and foremost, and to try and be patient with everything that’s going on around the club. It’s going to resolve itself pretty soon, it needs to.

"We hope to put on a good performance and display for you and to get the win."

Link to interview

Link

FoHgXIeXgAAkwNe.jpg

Southend United

Kevin Maher did not speak to Blues TV (If he did it was not published on Blues TV) ahead of this afternoon’s game against York City

Kevin Maher did not speak to Southend United OS (If he did it was not published on the OS) ahead of this afternoon’s game against York City

Kevin Maher speaks to Chris Phillips at The Echo ahead of this afternoon’s game against York City

Echo 1.jpg
Wanting success and support – Southend United boss Kevin Maher

Kevin Maher insists Southend United’s players need the backing of the supporters more than ever before.

Blues host York City at Roots Hall tomorrow amid increasing concern for the future of the club.

But Maher remains determined to succeed, despite the financial issues which sees the Shrimpers squad still waiting for their January pay packets.

“For me personally I know the club, I’ve been here a long, long time as a player, a coach and now manager,” said Maher.

“I have to succeed and I have no other choice but to succeed.

“I’ve got my kid in the academy so there’s that side of it for me and I need to be a successful manager for the club.

“There’s other stuff we have to deal with but we want to produce a team that makes the fans proud and these players will always go right until the end for the team.”

Blues will head into this weekend’s clash sitting ninth in the National League standings.

And Maher wants the supporters to work with the team to lift the spirits of everyone connected with the club who have until the start of March to pay off a large bill to HMRC.

“It’s difficult for the fans at the minute with the uncertainty but I believe in this club, I always have done, and I believe in the supporters too,” said Maher.

“But we need them more than ever on Saturday.

“We need them at their brilliant best because we have a chance of achieving something this season, despite the noise around the place.

“We’ve got a great chance because I believe in the players and when we’ve got the backing of the fans for the 90 minutes, they can really give that extra energy to the players.

“If they support us the way we know they can we can hopefully achieve something together.”

That quest will continue on Saturday and Maher will ensure Blues are ready for the contest.

“We’ll be prepared and we’re fully focused on Saturday,” said Maher.

“I’m sure they will be too and maybe they’ll be looking to take advantage of the situation they think we’re in.

"But we’ll be ready come three o’clock.”

Link to Story

Link

Kevin Maher speaks to Chris Phillips at The Echo with all the team news ahead of this afternoon’s game against York City

Echo 2.jpg
Injured – Louis Lomas, Chris Wreh and Dan Mooney are out for Southend United

Dan Mooney and Chris Wreh will both be missing when Southend United host York City this weekend.

Mooney has been out since early December with a knee problem while Wreh, who also has a knee injury, has not played since the start of January.

And Blues boss Kevin Maher will again be without the duo again on Saturday.

“Mooney is still out on the grass doing some rehab work,” said Maher.

“He’s back with Stef (Russo) and hopefully he will be able to take part in team training next week.

“Chrissy Wreh is just behind him but I don’t want to put a date on it.”

Goalkeepers Steve Arnold and Collin Andeng Ndi are not yet ready to return meaning Blondy Nna Noukeu will continue between the sticks after extending his loan spell from Stoke City.

But defender Louis Lomas is out.

“Louis Lomas is still out with a groin problem he’s had for the last 10 days or so,” said Maher.

“He did some work on his day off and felt it so they’re the ones out with Collin and Steve still on their way back.”

Link to Story

Link

Big Preview

Southend United v York City

Big Preview.jpg

Overview

Blues begin a busy February with the visit of York City to Roots Hall tomorrow afternoon, the first of a double-header against the Minstermen.

United take on last season’s Vanarama National League North play-off winners in a league fixture this weekend, before an Isuzu FA Trophy fifth round clash on Saturday, 11 February.

A trip to Maidenhead United is sandwiched in between, with two more home games against FC Halifax Town and Gateshead to come later in the month.

The game represents a chance to put last week’s defeat to Eastleigh right, and move back up towards the play-off places after midweek results saw Blues drop to ninth.

The opposition

It’s just a second season at this level out of the last 11 for York. The professional ranks are where the club has spent their majority of their history, initially being elected from the Midland League for the 1929/30 campaign.

Most of their long first spell in the Football League was spent in the fourth tier, but the Minstermen did enjoy a period of success in the 1970s where two promotions in three years saw them reach the Second Division.

Their highest-ever finish was 15th in that league in 1974/75. Recent years have seen York’s big moments come in the FA Trophy, which they won in 2011/12 and 2016/17, defeating Newport County and Macclesfield Town in those finals.

They made the last four last time around, but were beaten 3-1 by eventual winners Bromley. The last 18 months have seen a lot of change for the Minstermen, as they moved from their historic Bootham Crescent ground to the brand-new York Community Stadium, which has coincided with significant growth in attendances.

A solid start to the current campaign was followed by a nine-game winless run, and although York have beaten Woking and Maidstone United since manager John Askey was replaced by David Webb, results haven’t improved on the whole and see them closer to the relegation zone than the play-off places.

Webb has had a variety of coaching and recruitment roles, working under Mauricio Pochettino at both Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur, and has also worked on a consultancy basis for the likes of Real Betis and Hoffenheim.

Previous meetings

The historical record between the two clubs is extremely closely-matched, with Blues’ win at the Community Stadium in October just giving them the edge, now with 18 wins to York’s 17, with 13 draws.

The first three clashes were all in the FA Cup, York coming out on top in both the 1929/30 and 1936/37 seasons, the latter tie after a replay.

Southend win six in a row against the Minstermen from 1978 to 1989, and have also had the better of things in the last decade.

Blues were victorious in three out of four in the 2013/14 and 2014/15 League Two campaigns, the last EFL meeting between the two being settled by a late Shaquile Coulthirst penalty.

Ref watch

The man in the middle is Lloyd Wood, who has refereed at National League level since 2018/19. He’s overseen 67 fifth-tier games in that time, including Blues’ 2-1 win over King’s Lynn Town last season.

He’s taken charge of eight National League games so far this season, most recently Aldershot Town 0-2 Dagenham & Redbridge. Wood has shown 43 yellow cards in those matches, but is yet to dismiss anyone.

His assistants are Jack Fagg and Andrew Hickman, and the fourth official is Lawrence Torz-Brow

Tickets

The best way to purchase tickets is online here. You can also buy in person at the ticket office or by calling 01702 304050 and selecting option one. The ticket office opens at 10am on matchday.

Tickets cost £18 for adults, £13 for concessions, £8 for juniors (9-16) and £3 for a child (8 and under) if bought in advance of matchday. Prices increase by £2 on matchday.

Elsewhere in the National League

There is a full compliment of 12 Vanarama National League fixtures over the weekend, starting with Scunthorpe United against Barnet this evening. The Iron signed five players on Thursday, including Sean Shields from their opponents tonight.

On Saturday, Notts County look to stay top when they make the long trip to Torquay United, while Wrexham are in action in the BT Sport fixture, away to Altrincham.

The biggest game in the play-off race comes at Grosvenor Vale as Wealdstone host Dagenham & Redbridge.

Scunthorpe United v Barnet (Friday 19:45)
Aldershot Town v Dorking Wanderers
Boreham Wood v Chesterfield
Bromley v Maidenhead United
Eastleigh v Woking
Oldham Athletic v FC Halifax Town
Solihull Moors v Gateshead
Torquay United v Notts County
Wealdstone v Dagenham & Redbridge
Yeovil Town v Maidstone United
Altrincham v Wrexham (Saturday 17:20)

How to follow

Blues fans unable to attend Roots Hall will still be able to follow all the live action by subscribing to Blues TV where you’ll get live match commentary from the BBC Essex team from all first-team matches this season.

Blues TV costs £4.49 per month or a one-off cost of £45 for the season, with your subscription not only giving you match commentary, but also exclusive access to extended match highlights, full pre-match press conferences, interviews, features and more.

Another option is to follow live minute-by-minute updates on social media via the club’s official Twitter account by following
@SUFCRootsHall, which will ensure you get all the latest news and more throughout the 2022/23 season.

National League TV streaming is available outside the UK
here.

Link to Story

Link

Radio.png

BBC ESSEX Radio

BBC Essex Link

National Leagie TV.png

Watch on Vanarama National League TV Live Stream

Register and sign up below, “International” Match Pass (from abroad) £9.50

National League TV

Come On You Blues!

Kensdale in midfield im thinking, When he joined the club he stated he can play in midfield so could be a very shrewd move by Maher and co ,has Kensdale can tackle and make a pass.Good to see Murphy in the starting X1 too .

Quite like the line up, at least kev has changed it up, feel like teams have worked us out at home so a change is always good

I can't quite believe Kev has brought Hobson back in yet still found a way to keep Ralph in the starting 11. SMH.

Guess that means Ralph at LWB and Bridge in the middle?
Last time this happened it was accommodated by shoving Bridge out onto the right- which didn’t work. Now presumably into a free 10 role?? Given how effective he is on the left this will be another 45 min of witnessing a mistake- or it will genius…

Unless it putting Kensdale into a holding CM role, with Ralph LCB and Bridge still on left?

Not long to find out

Kensdale in midfield im thinking, When he joined the club he stated he can play in midfield so could be a very shrewd move by Maher and co ,has Kensdale can tackle and make a pass.Good to see Murphy in the starting X1 too .
Yes defensive midfield role… the more I think about it something that makes more sense the moving Bridge..

Pretty much the line up I predicted. Although I thought he might have gone for Fonguck instead of Husin. But pretty happy with that and think Murph and Cards up top will cause problems.

Glad to see Hobbo back, hopefully we will have less mistakes now he’s back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back